BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend, rather had a friend, who left Canada for his home in Poland due to immigration problems. He had acquired a 2003 Yamaha R1 and was riding it around without papers, I am almost certain. When he was leaving, he sold me the bike for $500. I know that this is not fair market value nor is it reasonable consideration but I was wondering whether I would have a hard time trying to convince ICBC that this occurred without having a bill of sale to supplement?

Also, the bike has no VIN on the frame so I assume that it is a U-Built. I took the bike out on the street for a test run; it was under the pattulo, where all of the industrial shops are and I ran in to a cop. He pulled me over and since I didn't have a title nor registration, he had the bike towed. He noticed that the frame had no VIN so he assumed that it was stolen; he took down the engine VIN and any other numbers that appear on various parts and ran it by dispatch. Thank GOD it came back negative because I was about to piss my pants. The officer was rather nice about the situation and even offered me a smoke while waiting for the tow. He told me that I would need to get an ICBC VIN number and have the bike inspected before it could legally be back on the road. Prior to doing this, I want to know whether it is, first of all, going to work and, secondly, how long it is going to take?

Any help in this matter would be great guys. I am brand new to this forum but from the posts that I have been reading, everyone seems rather helpful so, once again, I would appreciate any help.

Cheers!

·
Registered
603 Posts
"No VIN on frame"?

Ahroo? How can this even be possible, considering that frames have both a riveted plate *and* a punched/stamped number into the metal of the frame itself?

Have modern bikes changed something since I was last aware? And "U-built"? Meaning that the original frame was damaged, and a new, replacement frame was used to rebuild the bike? Again, I thought any new repair frame purchase like this, was required to have a stamped serial number in the metal of the frame prior to any Joe-public dude being able to get their hands on it...

If this was legit, you'd think that whoever did the repair/rebuild would have *had* to stamp the frame with a number.

Would someone go to the trouble and expense to buy a brand new factory frame for a rebuild, versus simply buying a used frame, but not have a serial number anywhere on it?

I don't get it:surrender

·
Registered
977 Posts
A friend with immigration problems sold you a R1 for $500 with no VIN on it that he was riding around illegally. Wow.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,806 Posts
this sounds legit.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
i thought replacement frames shipped withoout vins, lotsa race bikes are vinless for that reason, right?

i know there is some process for stolen/recovered vehicles that have been stripped of their original vins or had phoney vin plates installed. ICBC issues a funny lookin 'BC vin' i think it's called.

i guess if ur succesful in this, it means anyone can re-street a vinless race bike?

·
Registered
79 Posts
All you need to do is call ICBC general help line, or go in to a broker. They will give you forms to apply for a "BC issued VIN" or something like that. Takes a few days and they'll issue a VIN plate to a mechanic who installs it on your bike. He signs some forms, you sign some forms, your bike has a VIN and voila! Go riding.

Kevin

·
I survived Richmond!
307 Posts
A friend with immigration problems sold you a R1 for $500 with no VIN on it that he was riding around illegally. Wow.
:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing
Pfweew!! Ah man i just about pissed in my pants!! I'm still laughing...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, I know that it is CRAZY heaty and the reason that I posted the question is to get a vague understanding of what COULD happen if I decide to go through ICBC and try to get a BC VIN. after all, it is an R1 which I got for $500.

Batan, that was hillarious and yea, you got the gist of my post; any advice?

The only thing that I have going for me in this case is that I know for sure that the bike is not stolen.

The frame must be from a racing manufacturer that sells to race teams because the VIN plate has not been inscribed on; I am not well informed in these matters but I would assume that you can purchase a VIN-less frame for racing purposes.

·
I survived Richmond!
307 Posts
Ok look, i think nobody means any disrespect here and everyone wants to save a buck but... personaly, i would of walked away. But since you already have it, good luck with the ICBC douche bags.

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
Ok look, i think nobody means any disrespect here and everyone wants to save a buck but... personaly, i would of walked away. But since you already have it, good luck with the ICBC douche bags.
How exactly are they douchebags? No Vin, no bill of sale, no registration...

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,806 Posts
How exactly are they douchebags?
I thought this fact has been well established and widely known. Didn't you read the manual?

·
i <3 my gixxer
498 Posts
If you're in Montreal why are you trying to deal with ICBC? Shouldn't yoiu be dealing with some agency in Quebec? or is your listed location incorrect? or are you as shady as your bikes past?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Batan, that was hillarious and yea, you got the gist of my post; any advice?

The only thing that I have going for me in this case is that I know for sure that the bike is not stolen.
And you found out it's not stolen THE HARD way by getting pulled over by a cop because you too were riding it illegally. This does seem like trolling, the story is THAT funny.

Well, this is what I'd do:
1. Find less sketchy friends
2. Smarten up and stop illegally riding bikes that used to belong to sketchy friends. Or riding any bikes illegally for that matter. Geez man.
3. Find an ICBC agent who knows what they are talking about and talk to him/her. It's not easy to find them, but somebody has to know somebody. Those people can be extreme idiots. I had one try to convince me that when you import a vehicle, the original owner has to come personally to ICBC to sign over the papers.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts