BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can blame it on PC and Playstation games like "Need for Speed" and others like it. People now have a taste of high speed racing, but the only problem is that there aren't any consequences. I'm not suggesting that people play a PS2 game, then grab the car keys and say: "Let's race someone and the hell with the consequences." It's a subtle thing. When you do come up againsta guy with a hot car, you're more likely to throw caution to the wind, having been a lot further in the virtual realm.

Just a though, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Oh my god. Are you serious?

And I suppose the people walking into the highschools can rightfully blame the Matrix for blowing all those kids away in leather trenchcoast?

Gimmie a break.

That's a parent cop out.

How about the "Fast and the Furious"? How many people felt like racing after that?

It's all about control.

I watched, 'Dead Presidents', and afterwards my buddy and I couldn't stop swearing for days. But I didn't go around killing anyone... even though I've had many opportunitys without consequence IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
havent you heard that whole debate about "guns dont kill people - people kill people" -- especially after columbine with doom, quake et al? I've played doom and quake and never wanted to kill anyone... same with racing games. i've been playing computer racing sims for a while.. that doesn't mean i have to go out and hit the accelerator until the car takes off.

J

·
0 Posts
no, I know what it is. Rich parents buying their kids cars that their kids think are fast and not waiting till their kids have the self control not to race someone in a fucking city. (Not that I don't speed, I'm just not stupid enough to do it in a 50 zone, or crash while changing lanes)

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Miteorite said:
havent you heard that whole debate about "guns dont kill people - people kill people"
what ya talkin about dude, Guns dont kill people.... Terminator's do :laughing :laughing :laughing just had to throw that out, that T2 movie poster is classic :)

anyhow, stupid kids, go take racing to the track, nuff said.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
adamantium said:
....How about the "Fast and the Furious"? How many people felt like racing after that?

Actually I felt like two things after seeing that flic. And after I got out of the bathroom from upchucking my cookies the second thing was a serious desire to return to elementary school since I felt my brain had been reduced to Pablum.....

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Adam, I think Lloyd does have a point, it's just like cigarettes, sex, clothing and whatever else that our minds pick up sublimily affects our decisions.....

Just like I am sure watching the R6 on the tube and hearing about it amongst your peers contributed somewhat to your decision to purchasing an R6, same for me, not saying that I am not affected, we all are.....even what is "sexy" or "desirable" in terms of men and women is affected by what image the media portrays.

In North America "Thin is in", doesn't do nothing for me, looking at anorexic women - feels like if I give them a hug they will break. In the middle east, hour glass or plumpier women are favourable and elsewhere around the globe that has not yet been overtly affected by hollywood you will notice different tastes etc....all reflected in their local media (radio, print, the tube, video/computer games etc...), kinda boils down to the chicken and egg question....which came first ?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adamantium said:
Oh my god. Are you serious?

Gimmie a break.

That's a parent cop out.

It's all about control.

Yes, I'm serious. It's all about already having experienced something and once you've been there it's easier to go back. I'm not saying that YOU with your superior intellect are subject to this phenomena, but the world is populted with millions of idiots. It's these idiots that popular culture is aimed at.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Hu99 said:

Yes, I'm serious. It's all about already having experienced something and once you've been there it's easier to go back. I'm not saying that YOU with your superior intellect are subject to this phenomena, but the world is populted with millions of idiots. It's these idiots that popular culture is aimed at.
I'm glad you recognize that my large cranium holds super intellect. :p

Don't get me wrong, I hear what your saying - I just think it's ludicrous that people can be so weak minded and use games and movies as a reason to do these things?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Adam

Think back to when D&D was a popular game, there were people who got caught up in their rolls and couldn't define the difference between real and imagination. And the funny thing is that some of them suffered from what you have "super intellect". As they say there is only a fine line seperating a gunius from an idot. :laughing :laughing couldn't resist.

·
living the dream
1,109 Posts
hey we all speed....right.....the only difference is that we think
first and dont let other idiots influence us
and kids are more likley to do so

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
it's actually only one chromosome that separates a genius from an idiot/retard.....

Crazy Guy said:
Adam

Think back to when D&D was a popular game, there were people who got caught up in their rolls and couldn't define the difference between real and imagination. And the funny thing is that some of them suffered from what you have "super intellect". As they say there is only a fine line seperating a gunius from an idot. :laughing :laughing couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
2 bikers racing a corvette on hastings last night around 9:45pm I think. Licence immediately suspended.....think about that next time you road race folks.....

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Human said:
2 bikers racing a corvette on hastings last night around 9:45pm I think. Licence immediately suspended.....think about that next time you road race folks.....
Speeding on Hastings is idiotic, let alone racing. There are so many people who just walk across the street whenever they feel like it. They got what they deserved.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quasi said:

Speeding on Hastings is idiotic, let alone racing. There are so many people who just walk across the street whenever they feel like it. They got what they deserved.
The incident in question happened between Willingdon and Boundary. Ask yourself if going 100km/h (Police statement) warrants having you license suspended on the spot for two years, given that most of us have done that on 50km/h streets many times.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Quasi said:

I agree 100%

...though I would like to hear more details on the incident. Time to scour the local news.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Hu99 said:

The incident in question happened between Willingdon and Boundary. Ask yourself if going 100km/h (Police statement) warrants having you license suspended on the spot for two years, given that most of us have done that on 50km/h streets many times.
My bad, never realized it was on the otherside of the highway, that sections more wide open and not as many people. I heard hastings and assumed around gastown (since I drive that section a few times a week). Ya your right that might have been a bit excesive.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Ha ha, Hu99 snuck his post in right before me! Thanks for the update.

I stick to my opinion though. Bloody stupid to be going that fast anywhere in the city. Good riddance to them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts