BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Unregistered User
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a bike in the united states (I will be going on saturday).

I already know everything there is to know about exporting the bike out of the united states, so this question is for people who have done this before and rode across the border with their US bike.

so, After the 3 day wait for US CUSTOMS to clear my faxed forms, then I go pick up my bike in the storage area, bring it to the border, and (clear customs, pay gst, etc.etc.etc.etc.) how do I ride back into Canada? Don't I need some sort of insurance? I know it wont be from ICBC thats for sure, but from who?

Do you guys know if Canadians with canadian address are allowed to buy temporary operational insurance which will work in both BC and in Washington for the time being? If anybody can help asap and have any experiences on this it will be greatly appreciated.

D

·
0 Posts
you may have to get a day permit from the state you are buying from. when i was looking to bring a car up from oregon, i needed to buy insurance for each state i was travelling thru.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey BlackAkuma,

I'm lookin into pickin a bikeup from the states very soon too...more specifically an R6...Im pretty sure it wont be too much trouble...as the bike is fully admissable...

anyways..wut kinda bike are you brigning over? did you have any trouble getting the clearence letter from an authorized dealer in teh states??

if you have MSN, add me if you can..
[email protected]

I'd really like to talk to you about your experience...what you have done so far and what you will be doing later..

Thanks

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yes, British Columbia residents can buy a "binder," which insured them from the time they clear customs until the bike is fully "registered," in BC.
Oh, and BTW, a BC resident, who operates a US registered and insured, vehicle in Canada, is uninsured.
Yup. Uninsured.
Talk to your ICBC agent. They'll explain the details so you stay on this side of the law.

Oh, and another "not well known," thing.
Your BC owned and registered motorcycle can sit in Washington for months, and be protected by an ICBC storage policy. The policy doesn't care where the vehicle is stored....

·
Member #827
1,505 Posts
Don't plan on leaving your bike in the customs storage area - it's not a storage area at all. For $4 a day you can leave your bike on a lot adjacent to a gas station... outside.... unguarded. Fine for cars but not for bikes - too easy to be picked up and and thrown on a truck. There are a few storage places around (Birch Bay is where I went) but they'll cost you. However, it's better to pay $50 US to store your bike for a few days SECURELY then pay $4 / day and have it ripped off with no insurance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey Black Akuma...do you have MSN? i'd like to talk to you about your experience importing a bike...

I've targed the bike I want and I am currently working on the price...I think it should go through...and IM looking to bring it over next weekend...so I have time this coming week to get my paperwork into customs in time..

neways...if you have MSN add me

[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts