BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
I wander if the owner visits this board..
of course I didn't have my camera with me, but it was just like the one on picture below.

I was it on Commercial Drive on Sunday afternoon.
I certainly didn't expect to see a cool old Morini 3 1/2 on a Vancouver street.
For an old 350cc it sounded awesome too.
What a nice treat :)

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Those were quite the pukka road burner in their day.

I remember going to the Italian Bike Tuesdays at the Calabria on Commercial from a few years back when I had my Ducati. There was some very sweet vintage Italian iron there.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
What's pukka?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
A period term from the days of cafe racers and "doing the ton" and puddin' bowl helmets. Means it was a serious bit o' kit. Or to put it in todays terms, it was the shizznit. The term was just passing into apparent oblivion at the time the Morini was out. The Old Geezer Group knows what I'm talking about.

.... you young whippersnapper... :D

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TeeTee said:
A period term from the days of cafe racers and "doing the ton" and puddin' bowl helmets. Means it was a serious bit o' kit. Or to put it in todays terms, it was the shizznit. The term was just passing into apparent oblivion at the time the Morini was out. The Old Geezer Group knows what I'm talking about.

.... you young whippersnapper... :D
ok now I cave: What's "doing the ton"?

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
SpideRider said:
What's pukka?
Actually it's a slang term still in use by Brit's meaning "Top Shelf' or "the best". It's East Indian in origin and I'm sure bastardized in the spelling......

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
elevation said:
I think I have talked to the group who own these bikes. They live right across the street from the Croatian Culture Centre. They are younger guys just tooling around on the bikes old school. I see them at the Roma Cafe/Sports bar on commericial alot during the summer.

you're propably right. I do see these old school bikes around Commercial from time to time. I have to start carying my camera around.

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I love old cafe racers, We've converted quite a few with modern size tires and suspension they look great.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
Crass Tengu said:
This lingo is awesome, im using it all the time now.

"My pukka can hit over 2 ton! You puddin hat wearing whippersnapper!"
I'm gonna try too!
"I'm gonna pukka in my puddin bowl!"

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
BlackScorpion said:
I'm gonna try too!
"I'm gonna pukka in my puddin bowl!"
<shakes head> no, no, no skorp. I don't think you've quite got this down pat yet.....

Thanks for the link to the Ton up. Theres some FANTASTIC pics in there.

Also it would seem that Moto Morini "isn't quite dead yet". A pic of their new Corsaro let me to find out that there's still a Moto Morini web site up. And they are making a new and extremely sexy naked bike with a V twin (their trademark engine config) and a tresslis tube style frame. And it's a charmer. I can't link to the pics as the ton up group and Moto Morini have locked their pics from downloading or even linking but it's well worth the trip over to the two sites.

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
If you want to see some really pukka Morinis, come out to the Italian vintage car and bike show on Father's Day in North Van, just west of the Quay. It's well worth a visit.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
asked my Dad about the "pukka" reference.

in punjabi the meaning is more along the lines of "robust" or "solidly built"

·
???????
908 Posts
5thgear said:
I love old cafe racers, We've converted quite a few with modern size tires and suspension they look great.
Then post some pics!!! Ever sunny tuesday in the summer, at the cafe just up from first, on Commercial, is like a classic Italian bike show.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts