BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,

Just picked up my Nexus card yesterday and the cop told me it won't work for motorcycles. He stated that all the electronics at the booth are triggered by the mass of a car and won't be triggered by a motorcycle, so you'll always be required to go inside and follow a long list of requirements just as if you arrived at the Nexus booth without a card at all!

Now, it still might be better than pushing your bike in the line for three hours in the flippin' baking sun, but........ anybody got better info???

Also, turns out that you "declare" anything you're bringing back (theoretically down to a chocolate bar, he said) on the card you have to pre-fill out, and even if there's nobody at the booth you slip this card into the slot, and they AUTOMATICALLY CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR THE TAXES YOU PROBABLY WOULDN'T BE CHARGED IF YOU GO THROUGH THE NORMAL LINE (provided you didn't buy much), so they're making money off this thing.

Somebody please tell me there's more advantage than this. I'm starting to think this was a waste of $80. :surrender

Also, the cop said that if you arrive at the booth and there isn't an officer but the slot is open, slip your declaration card in and go, but if the slot is closed, then you sit and wait for a cop. But, if a bike doesn't trigger the damned thing, then what? Do you sit there blocking the Nexus lane until somebody notices and comes out?????? Blah!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
We've been in Nexus since it started. While I admit it's awkward to produce the Nexus card and hold it up to the ID screen, it's certainly do-able. Having a motorbike is the main reason to get the Nexus pass. The booth is always manned at the times we've been there. Really, it's not been a problem. They used to have a box for the declaration slips, but now you have to hand it to the Customs guy. Soon there will be more of them, too. 400 are being hired for the Lower Mainland.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
AUTOMATICALLY CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR THE TAXES YOU PROBABLY WOULDN'T BE CHARGED IF YOU GO THROUGH THE NORMAL LINE (provided you didn't buy much), so they're making money off this thing.
I easily save $200 a year by hearing the border agent say "nah, don't worry about it, go ahead." But that being said, if there's nobody in the booth, why put a form into the slot at all? Keep your form in one pocket, and your card in the other. Pull up and offer the card. If there's someone in the booth, reach into the other pocket and pull out your form. If there isn't, put the card back in your pocket, and ride on.

But, if a bike doesn't trigger the damned thing, then what? Do you sit there blocking the Nexus lane until somebody notices and comes out??????
I would. If it happens often enough, they'll have to increase the sensitivity.

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm.....well, okay. I wonder why he went to the trouble to tell me all of that, then? In theory they could revoke your card for failing to deposit your declaration slip (so he said), but, clearly that's not happening. Thanks. :rockon

I easily save $200 a year by hearing the border agent say "nah, don't worry about it, go ahead." But that being said, if there's nobody in the booth, why put a form into the slot at all? Keep your form in one pocket, and your card in the other. Pull up and offer the card. If there's someone in the booth, reach into the other pocket and pull out your form. If there isn't, put the card back in your pocket, and ride on.

I would. If it happens often enough, they'll have to increase the sensitivity.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Wow, what a bunch of disinformation that that 'cop' was giving you.

1) I've ridden my motorcycle through the Nexus lane many times and there's nothing to 'trigger'. Just ride up, wave your card at the panel and Bob's your dad's brother. I've naught had to 'go in' at all. Sometimes I've had to wave my Nexus card a second time when I'm at the booth but it's never been an issue to be on a bike in the Nexus lane.

2) You don't get charged duty (not 'taxes', well, I guess duty is a form of tax) on items you wouldn't get charged for in the other lanes - it all revolves around how much time you spent in the U.S. of course. You may have to declare everything you bring in but you won't be charged duty for items that you're allowed to bring in based on customs laws.

3) The Nexus lane is either open or it's not. If it's unmanned, then it's either closed (there'll be a huge plastic barrier in your way filled with water or sand that's neon orange so you're bound to notice it) or if the lane is open with a big green GO arrow, then welcome to Canada.

·
Old Dirty Bastard
1,652 Posts
I've had Nexus since it started (and had CanPass before that) and have never had a problem going through on my bike.
I did register my bike's plate number on Nexus a while ago and don't know if you still have to do this.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
As stated in the other Nexus thread, bikes are fine thru the Nexus lane, and I have never been asked to take my helmet off in the Nexus lane.

Someone gave you wrong info - and I did register my bike's plate number (and car's too) on my Nexus form.

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm at a loss for why the border cop told me all of that, then. Let's hope things aren't about to change or something. I'm tempted to call and ask. He seemed very confident in what he said.

They did tell me that you can now cross the border in the Nexus line in other than your registered vehicle (i.e. a rental car).

I've had Nexus since it started (and had CanPass before that) and have never had a problem going through on my bike.
I did register my bike's plate number on Nexus a while ago and don't know if you still have to do this.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
They did tell me that you can now cross the border in the Nexus line in other than your registered vehicle (i.e. a rental car).
YOu might wanna double check that... CBS clearly states that it is unlawful for a Canadian Citizen to operate a US registered & plated motor vehicle in Canada. If you cross the border operating a US registered vehicle (ie: a car you rented down there) they state that they will impound it...

Now, this seems totally bizarre, and I can't imagine it happening, but I've been told this by their officials (both in Vancouver and Ottawa) repeatedly.

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never meant to include *returning* to Canada in a rented US car. I suspect you are right that that would not fly. As a US citizen you can drive a US car into canada as a visitor for up to one month (as I recall), but the instant you're intending to live in Canada you can't cross the border with your vehicle at all! You have to file all sorts of paperwork and wait a minimum of three days while they (claim to) confirm it's your car in the first place.

I only meant to say that as a Canadian with a Nexus pass it appears that now you don't have to have your (Canadian) vehicle registered with Nexus to cross any more. You can drive into the US in a rented (or borrowed) Canadian car.

YOu might wanna double check that... CBS clearly states that it is unlawful for a Canadian Citizen to operate a US registered & plated motor vehicle in Canada. If you cross the border operating a US registered vehicle (ie: a car you rented down there) they state that they will impound it...

Now, this seems totally bizarre, and I can't imagine it happening, but I've been told this by their officials (both in Vancouver and Ottawa) repeatedly.

·
Not me!!
971 Posts
Maybe someone can answer this question. Are bikes allowed to lane split, at the border lineup, to the front of the line?

I've only crossed the border a couple of times on my bike. Both times, at the truck crossing, a man in a orange vest invited me to cut to the front of the line. So, does this happen for everyone? Does this happen everyday? Does it happen for both directions? Does a motorcyclist need to be waved up or invited to the front?

·
Oyi!
1,108 Posts
This is a question for Harley guys! I saw them doing that during the border guard walk off incident. But if you want car drivers to hate you that's what you do! Me and my friend waited extra 3 hrs in the normal line up to cross the border.

Maybe someone can answer this question. Are bikes allowed to lane split, at the border lineup, to the front of the line?

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't do it without a very official invitation. I don't want to get shot. And I'm not talking about the border guards!

I've only crossed the border a couple of times on my bike. Both times, at the truck crossing, a man in a orange vest invited me to cut to the front of the line. So, does this happen for everyone? Does this happen everyday? Does it happen for both directions? Does a motorcyclist need to be waved up or invited to the front?

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts

I've talked to riders who've been turned back by the border guard after they've observing them doing just this.

You'll also have some really, really pissed car drivers to contend with.

Attempt this at your own risk. Or get a Nexus card.

·
I'm hungry...
716 Posts
Nexus works just fine for bikes. You can use your Nexus card in a rental or borrowed vehicle, as long as others in the vehicle also have Nexus cards.

When you fill out the declaration cards, you can claim the exemptions depending on the # of hours you have been in the US, then get charged taxes/duties accordingly. There had been times I declared taxable items, claimed no exemption, but my credit card never got charged. There are also times I declared a $6 bottle of wine, claimed no exemptions, and got charged $8 in taxes/duties.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts

The last time I crossed the border I was facing a 45 minute wait in the rain. I looked at that nice, empty Nexus lane and cut through the traffic between me and it, rode half a mile to the front of the line and did not have a problem. The Customs Officer didn't even mention it.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
In theory they could revoke your card for failing to deposit your declaration slip (so he said), but, clearly that's not happening. Thanks. :rockon
I never said it was legal. You could have much worse things happening
than your card getting revoked if you're caught bringing undeclared items into Canada. Be prepared to pay the taxes. Most of the time, you won't have to, either because the border guard is being nice, or he just plain doesn't ask.

You're allowed a Nexus card because it's presumed that you aren't going to smuggle anything across the border, and they do whatever checks they deem necessary to decide that you're not a security risk. But you can't convince me that people aren't smuggling thousands of dollars worth of stuff through the Nexus lane every year without getting caught.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I don't lane split, but I will run down the Nexus lane and then cut over. Leaves a 5 minute wait at most.

If anyone says anything, just play polite and stupid, "sorry, thought this lane was open".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts