BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ICBC applies for a rate increase. Three points: 1) It's a cynical move to announce on a Friday before a long weekend (and typical) 2) Hey aren't the changes to the MVA working like we're told (including the cell phone ban)? 3) Maybe now's the time to discuss the $1B lifted from ICBC's reserves (you the ratepayers) in order to "balance" BC's budget? https://www.facebook.com/SENSEBC

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
It is a terrible system, using ICBC as a cash cow for provincial government services. I disagree with it totally.

Looking at the situation in the bigger picture as we always should, this is a byproduct of increased demands on government services and social demands, increasing costs, increased debt. It will get worse of course, with public sector wage/benefit demands becoming far outside the realms of the reality of current and future fiscal facts, and the 'grey wave' of retirees becoming larger than those that are paying into the system.

·
41 over!
1,261 Posts
Good to see some balanced reporting from the Sun. I did some contract work for ICBC from 2001-2007 and the general public has no idea how badly mismanaged ICBC is. In recent years, it has only gotten worse. ICBC's own mismanagement of injury claims has gotten it into the trouble it's in, but no one is held accountable.

If you talk with almost any litigation adjuster who has been with the corporation for many years, they will agree with this and complain bitterly that their own input has been completely ignored for at least the last five years. Anybody who complains on the record gets terminated.

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
but they only want to increase the basic while lowering the optional :rolleyes with more ppl opting for 3rd party whenever possible better get a hold of whatever they can.

start punishing the repeated offenders to the point that they won't be able to afford the insurance if they can't learn. reward the drivers with perfect record. simple.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
what's the going insurance on a high end car? what's the going repair for all those "fender benders" in richmond?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
but they only want to increase the basic while lowering the optional :rolleyes with more ppl opting for 3rd party whenever possible better get a hold of whatever they can.

start punishing the repeated offenders to the point that they won't be able to afford the insurance if they can't learn. reward the drivers with perfect record. simple.
OH BOY !

Am I ever glad I never said that!

With ICBC looking at driving records, speed is always their first concern.

Anyone with more than 2 speeding infractions in the last 5 years is going to get stung.

3 or 4 or 5? OUCH!

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
^ by 'offenders' i was referring to people who constantly cause accidents not the people that get speeding (or other) tickets. i find a lot of should i say 'aggressive' drivers actually know how to drive, it's the ones that have no clue about road rules etc.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
^ by 'offenders' i was referring to people who constantly cause accidents not the people that get speeding (or other) tickets. i find a lot of should i say 'aggressive' drivers actually know how to drive, it's the ones that have no clue about road rules etc.
There is a system of higher rates with the more accidents you get into. I agree with you, that the rates should be much higher for those out there with multiple crash history , and they are out there, those with 5+ at fault crash history.

·
15,773 Posts
how about not insuring those idiots all together?

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Not defending ICBC at all. But the one thing we have going is that you can buy insurance. Might be 10,000/year, but it's there. Do we want black listed vehicles like Quebec and Ontario, where insurance is mandatory, but unavailable for certain bikes?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The thing that gets me is that,I heard on the news that now ICBC and the RCMP want to run a campaign about the hazards of distracted driving (mostly texting) because this is what they see as the major cause of many accidents and the number is on the rise. So my question to them would be: Why are we spending taxpayers money to inform us of spmething that is already illegal. Enforce the law, I see so many RCMP drive by people that are clearly texting or talking on their cells. I personally think distracted driving is a bigger cause than speeding. I for one, tend to pay more attention to the road if I am speeding. I dont text while driving but I cant imagine being able to concintrate on the road and my phone at the same time!!!

·
570 Posts
You need private insurance for that. With that also comes no or incredibly high insurance costs for certain demographics, like young single white males and high horsepower street motorcycles.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
The thing that gets me is that,I heard on the news that now ICBC and the RCMP want to run a campaign about the hazards of distracted driving (mostly texting) because this is what they see as the major cause of many accidents and the number is on the rise. So my question to them would be: Why are we spending taxpayers money to inform us of spmething that is already illegal. Enforce the law, I see so many RCMP drive by people that are clearly texting or talking on their cells. I personally think distracted driving is a bigger cause than speeding. I for one, tend to pay more attention to the road if I am speeding. I dont text while driving but I cant imagine being able to concintrate on the road and my phone at the same time!!!

You just nailed it!

It's all about the weighing of ease of revenue collection.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Agreed. Finally someone talking some sense.

·
15,773 Posts
I got a quote that was same as what icbc full deal insurance offered for 350bux for the year.

That's half of beacons optional.

·
570 Posts
I got a quote that was same as what icbc full deal insurance offered for 350bux for the year. That's half of beacons optional.
Why don't you try Progressive.com in the USA. The largest insurer of motorcyclists in the nation. For someone of you age, single, renting, no accidents or tickets, it's $48 a month. Now if you want insurance that actually protects you financially in the event you injure someone, then all of a sudden things start to change. It's not $48 a month. It's $450 a month. Don't believe me? Do the research yourself. Maybe you ought to read the insurance coverage you are getting quoted on before you start claiming stuff. Go ask some autobody shops in Alberta how most wildlife damage claims are settled. Most of them are cash because people can't afford to pay the rates if their policy has claims against it.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I personally do not find a 4% increase out of line. My rates have gone up much more than that in the last year.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why don't you try Progressive.com in the USA. The largest insurer of motorcyclists in the nation. For someone of you age, single, renting, no accidents or tickets, it's $48 a month. Now if you want insurance that actually protects you financially in the event you injure someone, then all of a sudden things start to change. It's not $48 a month. It's $450 a month. Don't believe me? Do the research yourself. Maybe you ought to read the insurance coverage you are getting quoted on before you start claiming stuff. Go ask some autobody shops in Alberta how most wildlife damage claims are settled. Most of them are cash because people can't afford to pay the rates if their policy has claims against it.

Ouch:

That compares to my coverage which is $3 mil liability and has way better terms with Megson all for <$1000 a year.

Still, the issue I have with ICBC is that it has gone from providing affordable insurance to becoming a cash cow for the government. IMO ICBC should keep all revenues inside it and lower rates if they build a surplus. This whole regulating it like a utility is a tad crazy.

Also, kind of irritates me that they are positioning the increase as $11 a month because optional is going down in price. The only reason optional is going down in price at all is because of competition from private insurers. If they could get their monopoly power on that they would be raising it as well.

·
Unregistered User
1,601 Posts
You need private insurance for that. With that also comes no or incredibly high insurance costs for certain demographics, like young single white males and high horsepower street motorcycles.
I see no problem with that, they are the high risk group.

Why should I subsidize them with my premiums.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts