BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang. It is finally warming up (a bit) and am looking at insuring the bike soon.

I am looking to insurance my bike for ~ 1-2 months only - the reason being for work related reasons, I may drive for most of this summer (thus won't need the bike to commute to work).

If I recall the last time I was at Cassells - the min they insure (ICBC) for is 3 months.

So my question to the experts out there is

1) can one insure your bike for only 1-2 months?

2) is there is additional cost (eg plate fee or such?) each time you re-insure or is the cost the same per month no matter how often you re-insure.
eg. - will be there a "fee" for the sure act of re-insuring each time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
ICBC can insure for 1 or 2 months, or whatever you want, but 3rd party like Beacon insures for full year only. That is what I was told at least about 3rd party.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Short term insurance premium will add to your totals.

3 months is the minimum with ICBC

You may want to insure for one full year on payment plan, and cancel it when you don't want to ride.

In the end, the cancellation fees is about the same as short term insurance premiums, and then you can cancel after one month if u want.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just insured my bike a couple weeks ago. ICBC basic with Beacon comprehensive/collision etc. Holy crap Beacon was a huge savings. If you qualify for Beacon a side benefit is that if you cancel your ICBC road insurance, the Beacon policy immediately transitions into a storage permit.

In case you guys find this info valuable these were my costs to the best of my recollection:

The particulars:
Maximum ICBC discount,
Class 6 for over 10 years (was told this was a Beacon requirement)
2013 Kawasaki ZX10r - coverage value $15,850
"Experience/Motorcycle Training Discount" was appplied by Beacon

1 year policy
ICBC basic was somewhere around $900
Beacon was $489
$500 deductible on bike claims up to $15,850 (lowest deductible Beacon allows)
$250 deductible on riding gear up to $1000 (Beacon covers your gear as well)

My prior 3 month ICBC storage policy was around $120-$130. So as a storage policy Beacon is right on par with that.

·
Vanillla Gorilla
725 Posts
As far as I know you can insure your vehicle for a day +. I just renewed my insurance that elapsed and I don't believe I paid anything extra as I used the same plate. If you cancel your insurance and have to get a new plate then you pay a fee for that but if you just renew it, there is no cost I believe. This is for ICBC unsurance.

as cvrle1 said: Becon or other third party guys want you take out a full year and if you cancel there is a penalty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really? maybe i am just going to the wrong insurance brokers... but here in Kelowna i was told that i can only insure my bike or truck for either 6 months or a year and that is it. Do you guys know something i don't?

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Really? maybe i am just going to the wrong insurance brokers... but here in Kelowna i was told that i can only insure my bike or truck for either 6 months or a year and that is it. Do you guys know something i don't?
You can insure daily by buying a TOP (temporary operating permit) starts at $25/day with basic insurance.
That's good for doing the odd day trip in the off season

As for ICBC insurance, you can insure from 3 months and up.

Optional insurance , Beacon/Megson/ Coast / Premier Marine / Etc... is on a yearly basis and also covers you for storage insurance.
They can be cancelled only by proof of you no longer own your bike.

( I used to insure with Coast, but I switch to Permier Marine as the cost was lower for identical coverage)

·
Registered Abuser
1,370 Posts
If you're doing it on a payment plan, it's 6 months or a year. If you pay cash up front, you can insure for any length of time (7 months, 8 months etc.)

·
BannedSpammer
3,339 Posts
ICBC can insure for 1 or 2 months, or whatever you want, but 3rd party like Beacon insures for full year only. That is what I was told at least about 3rd party.

If you're doing it on a payment plan, it's 6 months or a year. If you pay cash up front, you can insure for any length of time (7 months, 8 months etc.)

As others Shovelhead has said, the minimum for cash insurance purchase is 3 months.

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/buy-renew-autoplan

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If you insure for three months, you can cancel before the three months is up and get a partial refund.

There's a cancellation fee (I think it was around $35) which you can then apply to ICBC storage insurance if you want. Or just eat it because you already have Beacon or whatever.

And you have to surrender your plates.

There is a limit to temporary insurance, a week or two I forget but at usually around $35/day for my truck or bike it quickly becomes cheaper to get 3 months then cancel.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just renewed my insurance with Coast Capital. They changed their plan slightly. For $300/yr i get 3 Mil liability, $500 deductible and $2,000 gear coverage. I believe this also includes fire and theft, so i would think anyone that only rides part of a year would want that anyways.

·
Registered
18,883 Posts
Why don't you haul yourself down to an insurance agent and ask the questions directly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's if you are financing it

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,226 Posts

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,221 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts