BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
bollocks
1,121 Posts
Just saw this thread, booked an appointment to upgrade mine :)
Don't have a passport yet, and EDL is all I need really, so might as well.

PS. Tried Montecristo #4, it was pretty tasty (rarely smoke)

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I got mine and also have a Nexus card.
I find the Nexus card a better buy.
$50 for 5 years and it gives you awesome privileges, especially at airports.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It feels more flimsy compared to the old one. Plus it's no longer laminated so looks like some kid can make it with a ID card maker. McLovin comes to mind :laughing
Besides the actual chip inside no one can tell unless they actually scan it.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
With the enhanced, you can cross by land or water, but to travel by air, you will still need a passport.

There will be readers at the borders eventually and you will scan your license before you get to the booth. (apparently)

·
... as in "off my bike?"
397 Posts
With Nexus, don't you still need your passport? The benefit of EDL (at least to me) is that you don't need to keep your passport on you (who does?) but can still go across the border on a whim if you need to get gas or what not. More handy for those that live near the border I suppose.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
With Nexus, don't you still need your passport? The benefit of EDL (at least to me) is that you don't need to keep your passport on you (who does?) but can still go across the border on a whim if you need to get gas or what not. More handy for those that live near the border I suppose.

W R O N G

With Nexus you do not need your passport, land/sea/air to and from the USA.
Also with Nexus, you are pre-screened as a low risk traveler during your application process, usually means less hassle at the borders.

Most US crossings now have magnetic card readers, with the nexus card and EDL, the border agent knows all your information before you even get to the booth.

I always cross using my Nexus card,

This email I got from DHS (Department of Homeland Security) in February 2010

Please be advised that citizens of the United States and Canada may now use their NEXUS and Free and Secure Trade (FAST) cards as proof of identification and citizenship at all land border lanes and seaport locations (not just the NEXUS/FAST lanes) when entering the United States or Canada.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The enhanced comes in handy but otherwise no big deal. My old regular disentegrated and they gave me an enhanced, no fee, no appointment.
They gave you an enhanced with no fee? you sure about this?

I got my license replaced last year with the new version (B&W photo with a second hologram photo in the bottom corner). I was under the impression this was an enhanced license, but I was wrong.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The enhanced comes in handy but otherwise no big deal. My old regular disentegrated and they gave me an enhanced, no fee, no appointment.
I think you have it confused with something else, as there is a questionaire and an interview process you have to go through, original birth certificate, a fee up front etc. They were fairly thorough in their research before they are granted.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
There will be readers at the borders eventually and you will scan your license before you get to the booth. (apparently)
In order to give the tinfoil hat people something to chew on, at this point the readers at the border know all about you when you are 1 mile out ............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts