BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ICBC is increasing it's premiums on March 15th 2006.
Be wise and insure on or before the 14th.

·
Its always a race
705 Posts
I heard that they are still going to ding you with the rate increase even if you get it on the 14th. I was planning on getting my bike insured on the 14th. Is there anyone that knows for sure whats going to happen if you go and insure on the 14th???

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I got a letter in the mail saying my Extended Coverage on my bike is about to expire and I have to renew it.. Wtf does that mean? I bought 1 year insurance in Febuary.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Sandman said:
I heard that they are still going to ding you with the rate increase even if you get it on the 14th. I was planning on getting my bike insured on the 14th. Is there anyone that knows for sure whats going to happen if you go and insure on the 14th???
I tried to renew my truck early (policy doesn't expire until March 31), but they said I will still get hit with the 6.5% increase because the new policy wouldn't go into effect until after the 15th. The only way to avoid it would be to cancel my existing policy, and start a new one prior to the 15th...which isn't worth it after you take the cancellation fees, etc, into account. However, I was able to insure my bike at the old (current) rate...so if you're insuring for the start of the season (rather than renewing) you should be okay.

But in the end...it's a 6.5% increase only on your basic coverage. The difference is probably only like $30-$50, if you insure for 12 months. So, not really worth rushing out unless you were planning on insuring this month anyway.

·
Its always a race
705 Posts
Harps said:
But in the end...it's a 6.5% increase only on your basic coverage. The difference is probably only like $30-$50, if you insure for 12 months. So, not really worth rushing out unless you were planning on insuring this month anyway.
Yes I agree its only going the be about $30 but why give those bastards anymore money then I have to. Especially since I am going to be insuring my bike around that time!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Harps said:
:imwithstu With the usual rain in March, I'm not falling for that again. I'd rather save $100 by waiting until sometime in April.

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
Is this rate increase province wide or does it only affect us living in the lower crashland ?
It affects me here too in the Okanagan. I would guess its province wide. I just got my letter from ICBC letting me know that my storage insurance is expiring soon and that there will be a 6.5% rate increase. It goes on to say that "Rising injury costs is the main reason why this increase is needed."

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Some quick math leads me to suspect that anyone with 2 or more vehicles ought run to the Evil Empire's branch office(s), turn in their plates, cancel their insurance and re-insure. I'd do it but the other part of the evil empire [Revenue Canada] already wants a pint of blood. With 5 vehicles, I'm f*kt.

*ahem* Anyone wanna buy a car or two? Mmm... please?

·
I'm new
2,075 Posts
What the fark do i care? i was screwed over twice already?!! i own 2 scooters and got 0% discount for both even though thet are my only vehicles and i have 40%. It's all cause of the idiots that needed to get a scoot to take a hit for their car insurance. MAN AM I PISSED ABOUT THAT.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
G-slide said:
What the fark do i care? i was screwed over twice already?!! i own 2 scooters and got 0% discount for both even though thet are my only vehicles and i have 40%. It's all cause of the idiots that needed to get a scoot to take a hit for their car insurance. MAN AM I PISSED ABOUT THAT.
hmmm what would gurp say here.....probably go on about why scoots are a bad idea and freinds dont let freinds ride scoots.....oh wait thats the S2S, my bad :laughing

·
... as in "off my bike?"
397 Posts
G-slide said:
How does it work for scooters now? Do they just keep the discount separate, i.e. you have to work up to a 40% discount from 0% for scooter insurance, regardless of what you've worked your car insurance discount up to? Or do they just not have discounts at all for scooters and it's a fixed rate?

What does a scooter cost to insure anyway? I would hope it's extremely cheap considering even 400cc motorcycles are dirt cheap.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
G-slide said:
Maybe they saw how you ride your skoot and just want advance payment on your future misadventure(s).

:coffee

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your discount should be the same all over except when you have a claim then your discount for one plate is reduced.
What he is talking about is what is called "Clim Dumping" and is illegal.
So if you have a claim on one bike, that bike or similar rated plate is dinged.
Get a better autoplan agent.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Shovelhead said:
Your discount should be the same all over except when you have a claim then your discount for one plate is reduced.
What he is talking about is what is called "Clim Dumping" and is illegal.
So if you have a claim on one bike, that bike or similar rated plate is dinged.
Get a better autoplan agent.
Yeah I was wondering about this to, when I insured my bike last week they gave me 43% discount when I was sure that my car is at like 30%? If I have 43% discount on my bike insurance, does that in turn mean that I am at 43% discount when I renew my car insurance?

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
adam112 said:
Yeah I was wondering about this to, when I insured my bike last week they gave me 43% discount when I was sure that my car is at like 30%? If I have 43% discount on my bike insurance, does that in turn mean that I am at 43% discount when I renew my car insurance?
Claims only affects one plate, the one that had the claim or if you have other vehicles, the one that is the closest to the rate class of the one you had a claim with.
For example, you can have 200% surcharge on you bike if you had multiple claims and have a 40% discount on a car at the same time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts