BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wait for me, I'm SLOW
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is ICBC depicting motorcycles / motorcyclist as hunting trophies on their 2006 motorcycle awareness month?

I guess we all have to wear our bike gears with a bulls-eye on the back.

http://www.icbc.com/

:rtfm

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
It's to drive home the thought that other people should keep a look out for us.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Gotta give 'em kudo's they're actually reaching out to the motoring public, not just wagging fingers at the motorcyclists.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
I think its a good idea. The most common answer from most drivers when they are in an accident with a motorcyclist is "I didnt see them." Stay out of blind spots, and choose the best lane position for the environment. Make the other drivers see you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Today's Sun has a clever ad showing a sportbikes on a line with ducks in a shooting gallery with the message "don't be a sitting duck" It warned that after a winter off riding your skills might be rusty and to watch out for left turners. I liked the ad, glad to see them speaking to us but not "down" to us.

·
Wait for me, I'm SLOW
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do hope we all ride safely this season and for the cagers to watch out for us as well.

Still gives me the shivers thinking about a rider being another hunting trophy hanging on a wall though.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Yep, all we are is targets to be knocked down, or bulls-eye's to hit. :thumbup to ICBC for propagating the stereotype that motorcycles are novelties.

A much better ad would have had something that showed that motorcyles aren't just driven by hell's angles (hey, if I spell it right they might come find me and "re-educate" me, and I like my fingers the way they are).

I like the idea someone at the Safety Council came up with. A scene with an elevated platform, packed with people from all walks of life and from all ethnic backgrounds, and the caption "Can you spot the motorcycists?" Then a scene with heavy traffic and (almost) no motorcycles in sight, with the caption "How about now?" Then the "may is motorcycle awareness month" tagline.

·
Born to sweep.
611 Posts
Spike said:
Yep, all we are is targets to be knocked down, or bulls-eye's to hit. :thumbup to ICBC for propagating the stereotype that motorcycles are novelties.
No kidding. Take a look at the tips for motorcycle drivers, and the tips for drivers of all other types of vehicles. The latter is titled "tips for vehicle drivers".

WTF, motorcycles aren't vehicles?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
The whole campaign is a massive feel-good waste of money. If ICBC really wants to make a difference they should offer very cheap or free annual lessons on defensive riding.

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
i just read the 10 tips, and fully agree. these are crucial points many people who ride bikes overlook. we choose to ride bikes, so its upto us to watch out for ourselves. i never rely on cars to watch out for me, thats like trusting a total stranger with my life. we as riders should have street smarts, its not just a matter of hopping on the bike and going for a ride.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Roger, while you're right that riders pay the price if they're not vigilant, for the most part it's the drivers who should be better educated and not the riders.

The vast majority of motorcycle-car accidents are in no way the fault of the rider, unless you fall back on the old cop-out that "he should have expected that... he's on a motorcycle." Yeah, well, it's still the responsibility of the dumb*ss in the car to look where he's going.

Your solution is to teach riders to do things they shouldn't have to, so that drivers don't have to do the things they should have to. I don't buy it.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi Spike,

Realistically it does not matter if the "vast majority of motorcycle-car accidents are in no way the fault of the rider". If you are correct, it won't change because of some lame ass feel good ICBC advertisements, or because you think it should change. Why?

Because there is so much media bombardment, from all sources all the time that ICBC’s input is essentially ineffectual, in fact it’s worse than that, as the money should go towards very cheap or free annual lessons on defensive riding.

The only effect the lame ass feel good ICBC efforts will have is to preach to those who are already aware. The real benefits to ICBC’s motorcycle safety proselytizing is to allow ICBC to help justly their own existence.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are the same guy who claimed you can avoid all motorcycle accidents with the right skills; a naive idealization similar to expecting car drivers to significantly improve their motorcycle awareness skills.

B

·
0 Posts
Suzuki Rider said:
Why is ICBC depicting motorcycles / motorcyclist as hunting trophies on their 2006 motorcycle awareness month?

I guess we all have to wear our bike gears with a bulls-eye on the back.

http://www.icbc.com/

:rtfm
Uh....anybody remember how many points for a motorcycle in Deathrace 2000? :)

But serious.......looks like the tips are a good reminder, although I doubt most drivers will look at them.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Chumly said:
Because there is so much media bombardment, from all sources all the time that ICBC’s input is essentially ineffectual, in fact it’s worse than that, as the money should go towards very cheap or free annual lessons on defensive riding.
I partially agree with you... The level of bombardment is quite high. But everyone remembers a great ad. If ICBC had come up with a good ad campaign (something like the ad with people walking down the street with someone behind them going "come on, gotta go, gotta go, gotta go..." and tailgating), people would talk about it, think about it, and remember it. I agree, it's a small step. But so is putting BCCOM's "LOOK" sticker on the back of your car. Every little bit helps.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are the same guy who claimed you can avoid all motorcycle accidents with the right skills; a naive idealization similar to expecting car drivers to significantly improve their motorcycle awareness skills.
I'll just say that the claim above is a gross oversimplification of my earlier comments in another thread. I believe the word I used was "most" accidents (not "all"). I don't think it's a naive statement, either.

But I still think it's possible to increase driver awareness. Road signs, print ads, TV spots. Target them at the beginning of the season, and find an ad agency that can come up with an idea that will be remembered.

One plus to the latest ads, at least, is that it's got people talking about them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
last years motorcycle safety month i got a ticket for an improperly mounted plate. officer said he was giving me one because they are "blitzing everyone" on bikes with illegal mods. total bs, i got off though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts