BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lurking

So my laser was hit by an SUV in the front left corner. Didn't look too bad, could still drive. Took it to automind. ICBC says it's a write off. Says it needs $4500 to fix, and the car's worth $3800.

Here's what needs to happen:
- frame/rod support bent need straightening
- hood replace
- front bumper replace
- front headlights replace
- front park lights replace
- left fender replace

My question is, which option do you think I should take?

1) CASH: Keep the car, i take $2600 cash
- that means i could fix the car and resell it

2) TOTAL LOSS: ICBC keeps the car, I take $3800 cash.

Tomorrow I'm going to call ICBC.. and maybe either ask for more cash, or if they take the car, then i want all my aftermarket stuff and then some.

What do you think?

D

·
0 Posts
no matter what you do, you've just been bent over and there is not a bottle of lube in sight.

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
I wish they gave me the option of writing my car off after it was stolen. Now I'm stuck with a car with a blown tranny and isn't worth cow shit. I replaced the tranny for 150 bux but the one I bought is worn so badly it's like there's no syncromesh from first gear to second. :banghead

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Is it the turbo'd AWD version?

·
GoPro Inspector
4,422 Posts
I'd check the buy and sell and if there's a couple of the same car for more then ask for more if you take the cash. If you wanna keep the car then I'd call around to see how much parts are for it first, see if they're even available in the first place, know what i mean....no point keeping it to fix if you cant get parts for it without paying an arm and a leg...plus auto body and paint...might not be worth keeping it.

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, mine is a TURBO AWD.

I should get more. Buysell BC ranges from $1900-$4000, but NONE of them are Turbo AWD (mine is), Buysell Ontario are all $2500 but east cars are cheaper, and only one is turbo, but iwht 310kms (mine's only 161k)

These are from alberta:
92 PLYMOUTH LASER, AWD, 2.0L turbo, PW, PL, PM, Tilt, Alpine alarm, 2.5'' Buschur Racing downpipe & K&N Filter. Synthetic fluids in trans, XFR case & diff. Vancouver Island car (virtually rust-free). Have receipts for repairs to 1997. 155,000 kms, $5300. . Calgary. Tel: 403-283-1943

1992 PLYMOUTH LASER RS, fully loaded, no leather, turbo, 5 speed, AWD, recent work orders available, excellent condition, 173,000 kms, $6,000. Ph (780) 957-2062 or (780) 814-9752. Debolt, AB.

Like my car, i've got some aftermarket stuff on it too. How can they possibly say my car's only worth 3800 ?!?!?!

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Well, since Plymouth Laser RS is the same thing as Eagle Talon STi or Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD, check out the prices on those ones.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
integra298 said:
These are from alberta:
Take those ads with you to the adjuster the next time you're in.

Like my car, i've got some aftermarket stuff on it too. How can they possibly say my car's only worth 3800 ?!?!?!
Sigh. Did you remove any OEM stuff to add the aftermarket stuff? What did you do with the OEM stuff? If you've still got it, you can sell it. If you don't, you either sold it already or gave it away when you could have sold it.

The value of your vehicle is calculated as follows:

1. Start with the market value of a stock, unmodified vehicle of like make and model.
2. Subtract the market value of any OEM parts removed from the vehicle.
3. Add the value of any aftermarket add-ons that you have receipts for and can prove were on the vehicle at the time of the write-off.

If you have no receipts, or can't show somehow what you paid for your add-ons, you're SOL. $3800 for a Laser doesn't sound unreasonable to me, but it does sound a bit low for the turbo AWD version.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Good luck trying to re-sell your car with an ICBC claim that said it needed $4500 to fix

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Shovelhead said:
Good luck trying to re-sell your car with an ICBC claim that said it needed $4500 to fix
If he takes the cash payout and keeps the car, noone but him will ever know that icbc evaluated the repairs at $4500. The claim record will show the actual payout ($2600), not what the estimator came up with.

Still, it might be hard to sell a Laser with even a $2600 claim a few years down the road.

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who said anything about selling? A 1992 TURBO AWD is a rare car, and I bought it for a reason. Yah, for me to drive! ... )=

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No worries. I fix myself. I know she's a bitch but it's worth it. rite? (=

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ask for a bit more cash.
Take it to some small body shops, they will fix it up for cheap.
Maybe $1500 or less. the quality of work will be ok if the damage is not bad.

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPdate: After I told him about all the stuff I did, he will now give me $4400.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts