BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended a local motorcycle club (Coast Riders) meeting earlier this week and they had a short talk on what to do and not do at an accident scene. Among the good information provided was information on ICEIn Case of Emergency.

The idea behind ICE (www.iceyourphone.org) is to add an ICE contact into your cellular phone and program it with the number of an emergency contact person.

Step 1:
Create a New contact in your cellular phone

Step 2:
Name that contact ICE

Step 3:
Program the number for your emergency contact

Done!

Safe ride’n

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I have one number programmed as "HOME".
If Someone finds my phone it is easy for them to contact me,
same in an emergency.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Yeah, my Dad was telling me to do that - the ICE thing. Sounds like a good idea, especially as the awareness of ICE grows.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Since I got my first phone, i've had an entry that starts with AAA and my wife's name. It's the first thing in the list if you can figure out how to find the contacts list in my phone.

I suspect 8 out of 10 people who picked up my phone randomly couldn't figure out how to use it anyway, let alone find ICE in the contacts list.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Spike said:
I suspect 8 out of 10 people who picked up my phone randomly couldn't figure out how to use it anyway, let alone find ICE in the contacts list.
haha...exactly what kind of overly complicated phone are you using?

If you've ever watched the Ali G Show - I'm imagining Borat in the opening theme as he's trying to talk on a cell phone. :laughing

F

·
0 Posts
only emergency contact id want if i was spilled out on the road is an ambulance and im prety sure everybody knows that number

R

·
0 Posts
borderline said:
only emergency contact id want if i was spilled out on the road is an ambulance and im prety sure everybody knows that number
I agree, my family can come after they've peeled me off the road

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
The ICE idea is a good one, but how many people would actually know what it means.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Stewy said:
The ICE idea is a good one, but how many people would actually know what it means.
Its just going to be another thing that has to catch on. I'm sure in a year or so if it's properly advertised, ICE could be in everyones cell phone. Sounds like a good idea to me.

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
I've heard the ICE thing in the past, apparently some paramedics look for ICE if they come across your phone. If everyone uses a different way of storing an emergency contact (i.e. Home, AAA......) nobody is going to know where to look, not right away at least. I wouldn't want to go through 100-200 phone contacts to figure out who someones emergency contact is.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Seems like a good idea to me, but until it really catches on, I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

·
LIFE IS GOOD!
332 Posts
We have tried to look for ICE numbers in phones a few times now. Mostly for fatal or near fatal accidents. Hasn't worked yet.

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
ICE=911....figure the rest out from there!

·
retired panda racer...~_~
740 Posts
what if you used 1CE instead of ICE? that way it's at the top of your list? or would people go straight to the I section if they can figure out how to use the phone?

FOLLOWUP: damn! it went to the bottom of my list :( but that probably differs from phone to phone

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HydeNobuyuki said:
what if you used 1CE instead of ICE? that way it's at the top of your list? or would people go straight to the I section if they can figure out how to use the phone?
It's possible they might find it, but then they might not.

One of my brother-in-laws has been a Paramedic in Edmonton since Christ was a little kid he says ICE is common knowledge in emergency service. As he put it "I'm in this business and every Paramedic in Edmonton knows me, but I still have ICE contacts in my cell phone."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts