BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear some advice/opinions.

My girlfriend has a very small frame. She weighs about 5'4" and 105lbs. I'm looking for a jacket for her and I am considering the following:

Joe Rocket Trixie Women's Jacket

Icon Kitty Women's Leather Jacket

Alpinestars 4W Dyno Women's Leather Jacket

Does anyone own any of these jackets or simply have some advice for me? I know the best thing would be to go and try on a bunch of jackets, but I was just looking to see if anyone had any experience with these particular ones. thanks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doug said:
why the double post?
After posting in the woman's forum, I figured that I should have posted here to get more views. sorry for the cross posting... :surrender

·
modern day cafe racer
429 Posts
joe rocket is best value for money and surprisingly that jacket has nice smooth leather! the only down side is its not small enough. i had a gf that was the same size, and a small JR jacket was a bit on the big side. really the only other jacket that fit really well was a dainese one. at tripple the cost.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
neo said:
joe rocket is best value for money and surprisingly that jacket has nice smooth leather! the only down side is its not small enough. i had a gf that was the same size, and a small JR jacket was a bit on the big side. really the only other jacket that fit really well was a dainese one. at tripple the cost.
I kinda felt that way just looking at the photos. I have seen the kitty in real life and liked it a lot, but it was a medium and not sure how small the extra small would be.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would suggest alpinestar as its has 1.2mm, while jackets like Icon and Joe have only .9mm stitching. Plus i havent heard much good about Icon. But then again fit is imporant too, and aside from the panties i just havent been wearing as much womens clothing these days.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driftland said:
and aside from the panties i just havent been wearing as much womens clothing these days.
haha. Maybe I can buy some nice AlpineStars panties for her at the same time. :laughing

·
Registered
202 Posts
neo said:
joe rocket is best value for money and surprisingly that jacket has nice smooth leather!
I might be bias but here's my opinion. Yes, the JR is smoother but the leather doesn't feel like it would hold up in a crash. I tried one on and I wasn't too happy with it. To each their own I guess. Depends on what your gf feels more comfortable in. To me heavier=more material=safer :flashy

Driftland said:
I would suggest alpinestar as its has 1.2mm, while jackets like Icon and Joe have only .9mm stitching. Plus i havent heard much good about Icon.
Actually the Icon is 1.2-1.4mm and the JR is 1.0-1.2mm. I don't know much about the Alpinestar as we don't carry a wide selection of female riding gear over here.

I have the Kitty jacket and I love it! As I stated in my PM to you-you gotta remember that it will stretch after a couple of wears..so make sure to buy it snug.

Oh and I have nothing against JR-I was actually planning on buying the trixie pants to go with my Kitty jacket. Yeah, I kiboshed the chaps idea as it would be overkill. I'm gonna keep the chaps for 'special' occasions :devillook :thumbup Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where do you work Tigerass? sounds like you work for a dealer.

I really like the look of the kitty andseeing as I think I am getting her the Icon Mainframe kitty, might be a nice match. I just hope that the extra small will be small enough for her. she is a size zero in many clothing shops.

·
Registered
202 Posts
No I don't work for a dealer..far from it actually.

A lot of the shops will be able to special order in the x-small for you and will gladly exchange it for a small if it doesn't fit. I would ask around first and see what their exchange policy is. If they really want your business then it shouldn't be a prob. That's if you're serious about buying it. Where I'm from there's not a heck of a lot of female riders so it was really hard to find gear.

A

·
0 Posts
Simple said:

My girlfriend has a very small frame. She weighs about 5'4" and 105lbs. I'm looking for a jacket for her and I am considering the following:

Does anyone own any of these jackets or simply have some advice for me? I know the best thing would be to go and try on a bunch of jackets, but I was just looking to see if anyone had any experience with these particular ones. thanks.
I'm just about your girlfriend's size (5'3" and 100lbs) and finding small enough sizes was a bit of an ordeal. Like neo said, Joe Rocket fits a little on the big side. I can't really comment on Icon since the brand wasn't around yet when I got my gear; however, it's difficult to find detailed specs for most Icon gear, and their marketing seems to focus more on flashy looks than on function and safety features. For example... the matching Kitty chaps. :rolleyes Read on, you'll see what I mean.

Another female rider also recommended Dainese to me. Dainese is expensive, but great quality and small sizes so that might be another option for your girlfriend. Corsa also makes the teeniest sizes you've ever seen, but it's $$$ and really hard to find. There's also Teknic, which is more budget friendly, pm tab (also a tiny girl) if you wanna know more about her jacket.

In the end I got an Alpinestars Dyno jacket in euro size 38, which is equivalent to a US size 2. I've been told by some dealers that it comes in euro 36/US 0, while other dealers have told me it doesn't. :confused To give you an idea of how that size fits my frame, it's just big enough to fit a hoodie underneath - which is a good thing, considering that the removeable quilted liner is paper thin and practically useless. That's really the only complaint I have about this jacket, so on to the good parts...

The jacket is constructed with 1.2-1.4 mm full grain, drum-dyed leather. It's nice and supple, so the jacket is comfy from the start. The stripes are thinner leather, there are 3M reflective logos on the neck, chest, arms, and back. All the detailing is sewn with a finer thread that doesn't affect the integrity of the leather underneath. The jacket has a zipper attachment compatible with any pair of Alpinestars pants so it won't ride up in a slide and expose skin (the JR Trixie also has this, the Icon Kitty does not).

It comes with removeable CE certified GP style "hard" armour in the shoulders, elbows and forearms - cheaper jackets often come with only dual-density foam armour, which offers less impact protection... I'm not sure which type the JR and Icon jackets use. There is a compartment for a back protector, which comes with just a little piece of foam, so you may want to upgrade that (JR Trixie also includes this feature, Icon Kitty does not).

Comfortwise, once again the quilted liner is useless - it's just a vest, it doesn't even have sleeves. The jacket has zippered vents in the upper arms and across the upper back, but it's definitely not a summer jacket (JR Trixie also has zippered vents, the Icon Kitty does not). If you want a dedicated summer jacket, look for a jacket with perforated leather panels. There is a neoprene edging on the collar so it doesn't chafe the back of your neck. It's more of a straight cut jacket than say, the Alpinestars V4, so it's a good comprimise in terms of comfort whether you're in riding position or sitting or standing. There are two pockets on the outside and two on the inside for stashing stuff (and two more on the inside if the liner is zipped in). The waist is somewhat adjustable with snap buttons.

You can find screaming deals on Alpinestars on eBay, even with shipping and duty factored in you'll still save hundreds of dollars compared to what you'd pay at a local dealer.

In summary, if I was your girlfriend, the lack of venting alone on the Icon Kitty jacket would convince me to veto it. She will MELT on a hot day. The JR Trixie is a little less expensive than the Alpinestars Dyno, and has similar features, but that won't do your gf any good if it doesn't come small enough for her.

That's about it, hope it helps!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW! Fantastic info Antares! Thanks so much.

I like the alpinestars one too. Protection is the most important issue but I happen to like the look of the Alpinestars Dyno jacket anyway...so win-win.

I have looked at the Dainese jackets. nice, but pricey. Maybe she can get those for christmas next year...if she is a good girl. haha.

If I had to compare the JR Trixie to the Alpinestars Dyno, I really like the look of the Alpinestars Dyno and the protection looks to be very similar.

The Alpinestars website says that they only come as small as Euro 38. I'll get her to try on some jackets in Abbotsford this weekend to see what fits the best. I am hoping the Dyno fits, but if not, I kinda like the Kitty...as long as it comes with the chaps. haha. kidding...maybe. :)

Again... Tigerass and Antares, thanks soooo much for all the info.

M

·
0 Posts
you might also want to look at the new JR Roxie.

http://www.joerocket.com/jrf/home.cfm

Similar to the Trixie, but with venting. No Pink, but red, blue, white and black. XS-XXL
Theres also the Jordan ladies leather
no venting either, but i love the funky design thingy. its also 100 more than the Roxie.

A

·
0 Posts
One more point - if you get the Kitty jacket, don't let your gf lean on your tank unless you have a tank bra or tank pad. It has a metal zipper that will very easily scratch the hell out of your paint. I guess the zipper is part of the styling, so it's not inset or covered at all (look closely at the way the zipper is sewn into all three jackets). The Dyno and Trixie jackets both use nylon zippers.

·
hot beef
276 Posts
DONT BUY JOE ROCKET ITS CRAP GLOVES FALL APART WITH NORMAL USE AND JEANS HELD UP BETTER THEN THE JACKET IN THE CRASH. JOE ROCKET IS USELESS IT SHOULD BE CLASSED AS FASHION LEATHER
Simple said:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great Info everyone. Thanks a bunch. I think I am leaning towards the Alpinestars. I'll have to get her to try on an Extra Small to see how the fit is, but after reading everything and taking a look at the motorcycle show, the Alpinestars seems to be the best choice in this case.

mwrunt, You're post makes me a little worried. I have a Joe Rocket Meteor Textile jacket...and experience with their textile products?

N

·
0 Posts
Simple said:
Great Info everyone. Thanks a bunch. I think I am leaning towards the Alpinestars. I'll have to get her to try on an Extra Small to see how the fit is, but after reading everything and taking a look at the motorcycle show, the Alpinestars seems to be the best choice in this case.

mwrunt, You're post makes me a little worried. I have a Joe Rocket Meteor Textile jacket...and experience with their textile products?
My Joe rocket gloves = warantied 3 times for stitching falling apart. I am not a JR fan.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
simple:
thx for donig the research.. the more i loook at teh JR, i want to get one for my gf... damnnn it's 300+ dollars... let me know maybe we can save on shipping or something..

as for JF stuff. i've JR water proof gloves and been using it for 2 yrs and never had a problem.
JR isnt' the best brand but it's good for the value. It's apple and oranges...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phil,

Sounds like a plan. I just have to find a place that carries Extra Small sizes. She has tried a number of different jackets now and she is an extra small for sure. As soon as we can find a place to try it on to be sure it fits, we can order together and save on shipping.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
You get what you pay for. I find Alpinestars, Spyke, Dainese are excellent choices.
Teknics and Joe Rocket, in my experience are not as good, but still hold up well when it counts.

My opinions above are strictly regarding leather jackets and suits. I don't wear textile. You'll be glad you're wearing leather when you go down. If it's too hot, get a perforated set for the summer with lighter colours.
The dark leathers heat up real quick in the sun.

Check out the Alpinestars Stella line for the ladies. I got a pink Corset jacket for my passengers and it's very nice quality...hmm..maybe I should have gotten a bigger one for myself....:eek

There's many official resellers of new AlpineStars gear on Ebay...they're not allowed to advertise their bottom line prices, so e-mail them to get their "secret" price. It's usually 20 - 30% lower than they post on their ads...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts