1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
backslider
11,214 Posts
With a lot of time/practise, money, equipment attrition, conditioning, drive, and a fair measure of pain and blood I'd bet.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Some of that looks like fun, but most of it is sheer torture. Not sure how he managed to get through the course without going off track someplace. Signage could have been better.

That must be brutal on the bike.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
With a lot of time/practise, money, equipment attrition, conditioning, drive, and a fair measure of pain and blood I'd bet.
All that and more.
I don't know about Jonny Walker, but the winners/leaders in that and those type of events are usually from a trials background.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
yeah hes a uk trails champ.. I watched it live and the commentators kept on saying this section is really challenging blah blah blah, the last little hill climb was put in this year just to slow em up, super difficult.. fuckin guy blew threw everything.. didn't even slow down.

·
must have more bacon
5,434 Posts
why oh why on such a difficult course would they think that putting a section that required people to be pulled up by rope was a good idea ? , I can imagine fast riders being held up there while they got pulled up one at a time

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
why oh why on such a difficult course would they think that putting a section that required people to be pulled up by rope was a good idea ? , I can imagine fast riders being held up there while they got pulled up one at a time
Those guys are rescue guys... if the bikes (and riders) start tumbling down the hill they'll be destroyed...

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
ummmhhh, looks like another day at the office for a trial rider.... seen many obstacle courses just like this back in the day, a lot of fun... bike's are built for it though, absolute monsters

for someone with talent and time to spare its all in a days work... i remember watching this on TV, total blast to be out there i bet... love the big-rock sections... arm pumping at its best..!!

Some of that looks like fun, but most of it is sheer torture. Not sure how he managed to get through the course without going off track someplace. Signage could have been better.
on Trials competition you get a good walk through the complete course before hand, he knew exactly where he was going so i assume its similar ...
hes obviously had a lot of experience with courses like this, by the time you're on the actual race you've already gone through it a few times in your mind....

it is tough on the bike though, most riders will have a hard time finishing as shit will break halfway through...

It's the bike....Bwahh! Hours and hours of practice with giant balls of steel.
years, not hours :coffee

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Up at the trials club we have sections that are harder than what they ride. And some of those in that event have come to our event. If you think it looks crazy on video come out and watch them do it live and 5 feet away from you. To see them jump up a wall of rocks 20 feet up that you could not even climb up without ropes is amazing....then to see what they do for fun after the event was a treat...This year we had riders from Auz, USA, England ..all world class and just really nice guys who are really good riders...Next year I will post up the event and you can come watch them....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Up at the trials club we have sections that are harder than what they ride. And some of those in that event have come to our event. If you think it looks crazy on video come out and watch them do it live and 5 feet away from you. To see them jump up a wall of rocks 20 feet up that you could not even climb up without ropes is amazing....then to see what they do for fun after the event was a treat...This year we had riders from Auz, USA, England ..all world class and just really nice guys who are really good riders...Next year I will post up the event and you can come watch them....
Please do post it up.

I remember watching an FIM (world championship?) event out there 20 odd years ago... pretty amazing...

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
The top guys at Erzberg in the last while have had pretty extensive trials backgrounds. The current top trials riders in the world technical skillset way exceeds what these
guys are doing at extreme endure. Most of them are past expiration world champioinship caliber at best.

Lampkin was for many years the longest winning trials rider in history. Jarvis won some rounds but was never remotely close to winning a world championship... and quite
frankly, was a top trials rider over 20 years ago. Cody Webb may have won the US National trials championship, I cant recall and don't care to look.. and guys like Blasuziak
and such never wont anything substantial in trials.

What these guys have done though is carved a great niche to extend riding careers... and the latest generation of guys are realizing that they can earn a good living doing
this... whereas in trials, not really at all.

I think the kid from Kamloops placed again this year... which is very good. Just finishing that course is awesome. He was top... hmm... 5 or 6?

You must be incredibly talented. 99.9999% of the riders around that think they are good wouldn't make it out of the car park on one of these events.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
You can bet the riders that finish this type of race all have letters from doctors stapled to their passports, so they can get through the metal detectors at the airport.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Top north american was Cory Graffunder finishing in 7th. I usually wait until the snow flies to watch this but couldn't wait. Looks like a lot of fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts