BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound stupid to some people...but I was thinking the other day. What if I die on my motorbike? Did I say my good byes? I was thinking of writing a letter and keeping it somewhere safe...a letter that to my friends/family and fellow riders...a letter that states how happy I was to live...how I died doing something that made me feel happy. I know this is something that I should never think of...but there is a chance something could happen to me while Im out there. I dunno...

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
Not stupid at all. My wife has mentioned to her friends, who say what I do is crazy and I could die, that this is what makes me happy and she understands that. Sure she would be upset if I die but she knows this is what I do. I was doing this long before I met her. And she knows I will never stop. She made comment once (early on in our courtship) that I have a "look" when I come off the track. She only sees that "look" at the track and she just knows that I'm happy.

She really understands me and my love of bikes and that allows me the peace of mind to continue riding and racing. She's one cool lady and I love her for this.... Thank you Lesley. Wink!

As for the rest of my family and friends. Well they all know I'm happy doing what I do. Sure they think I'm crazy and they have all at times seen me hurt or broken but bottom line.....this is who I am.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
The problem with saying that "you died doing something you were happy doing" is that although you might truly feel that way while you're alive and doing what you are happy doing: the last millisecond before your death, you will (might) have a different perspective on the whole situation. Or at least what I'm trying to say is that I know I would. However, it would not change my motorcycle life...I guess all i can say is to really love your life (if you are happy doing what you're doing, you must already love your life) so don't let a careless mistake (yours or a drivers) take the life you love away! (Gawd, I sound like my mom)

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Not unusual at all, I was going to write a note for myself to keep in my pocket whilst riding, but I sold the bike and didnt get around to it.

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
Being happy is not what I am when I tear up a corner or brake up to the point of loosing traction. I'm at one with the bike. I feel the world fade away, time slows down and I become free. It's really hard to explain. There is a zone that you get into (not always) and you just want to stay there. That's what keeps me coming back. Sure I get "it" at the track but even a ride on a scooter can have those little moments that make it all worth while.

I could try make you all understand my passion but it really is a personal thing and you all need to find you own reasons for life (and death in this case).

·
Woof?
1,011 Posts
NFG said:
Being happy is not what I am when I tear up a corner or brake up to the point of loosing traction. I'm at one with the bike. I feel the world fade away, time slows down and I become free. It's really hard to explain. There is a zone that you get into (not always) and you just want to stay there. That's what keeps me coming back. Sure I get "it" at the track but even a ride on a scooter can have those little moments that make it all worth while.

I could try make you all understand my passion but it really is a personal thing and you all need to find you own reasons for life (and death in this case).

im exactly the same way.

fiero, if you need to write a letter to your loved ones telling them that this "made" you happy. then you really need to think about what kinda friend you are. everyone in your life already know your passion. the ones that cant except it.. no amount of letters in the world will make them understand if you end up just like they said you would.

fuck death, death is a fact of life. its those moments inbetween that matter.

nobodys gunna remember your death, only your life.. and if they dont.. ya need to work on that.

·
Its always a race
705 Posts
I think its a great idea and I have thought many times of doing this. I am not sure I would say how happy about dying doing something I love, but more of what my last wishes were. What I would have wanted at my funeral and how i want my family and friends to celebrate my life not to cry about my death!!

·
Passer of Harps
3,724 Posts
cam said:
fuck death, death is a fact of life. its those moments inbetween that matter.

nobodys gunna remember your death, only your life.. and if they dont.. ya need to work on that.
Wrong...you obviously don't have kids. I'm pretty sure they will remember your death.

"fuck death"??? Sure thing, Mad Max. That's pretty ignorant and selfish. Accidents happen but you shouldn't be riding around in a malaise like death doesn't matter. It does matter...regardless of its inevitability.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
make sure to leave them with lots of bills to pay off..lol..family loves that $hit.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Everyone close to me knows how I feel about them. I don't need to write notes and say anything different than what I say everyday.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
ya just waht spider said. The thing is if you lack communication skills, by all means write it down, but if you have a great repertoire with everyone, your laughin'..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts