BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I lost the key to my 07 CBR 125 and was wondering if I could get a key cut from a locksmith by bringing the gas tank, or do I need to take the ignition off? ALso where would you guys recommend I take the piece to get a key?

Thanks,
I

·
Car Magnet.
275 Posts
If you've completely lost every single key you have for your bike, which is what I'm reading here. You're looking at a new steering column... Unless I'm mistaken and the ignition is part of the gas tank on CBR 125's now? Not sure, either way. You won't have a lot of fun trying to get a key "made" for a motor vehicle.

to answer your other question, when I've needed blanks for my Honda, I ordered them from the Honda Powerhouse on the island. they're about $12.00 a piece. I'm not too savvy with mainland dealerships, but I'd try Carter Honda outside Kits.

·
Better than LEGO.
1,142 Posts
You should be able to order a new one from honda. They'll need the VIN.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
lol oh wow... I think the OP means that his gas tank takes the same key as the ignition switch.

call around someone out there is a natural at making keys and can cut you one just by feeling it and filing it down.

I had the same thing happen on my KLR650 in calgary... called around and one owner said he had a guy that was the best out there. He was right took him 5 mins to go from blank to cut just by feel.

cost was 60 - 80dollars with a home visit.

taking in the gas tank might work but I dont know any key cutters looking to deal with gas tanks that might have gas in them

good luck

·
Spandex Nerd
311 Posts
Bring a copy of your bike's registration and your ID to your local Honda dealership. Assuming these are all original locks, they should be able to cut new keys for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried going to Honda, they said they can't use the VIN and need to tow my bike in to remove the ignition... they want to charge me over $450 to do so.. that's like a third of the price of the bike..

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
The tank only uses the first half of the key. It needs to be made from the ignition. Contact Locksmith from BCSB and I think he can steer you in the right direction.

·
Spandex Nerd
311 Posts
Holy, $450? That's insane.

Then again, I wanted a spare key made for my BMW. That ran me $120 from Brian Jessel BMW. :(

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
If you've completely lost every single key you have for your bike, which is what I'm reading here. You're looking at a new steering column... Unless I'm mistaken and the ignition is part of the gas tank on CBR 125's now? Not sure, either way. You won't have a lot of fun trying to get a key "made" for a motor vehicle.

to answer your other question, when I've needed blanks for my Honda, I ordered them from the Honda Powerhouse on the island. they're about $12.00 a piece. I'm not too savvy with mainland dealerships, but I'd try Carter Honda outside Kits.
Locksmiths have some pretty cool shit at their disposal. There is an instrument shaped like the original key that they can insert in the lock tumbler and obtain an "imprint" of the tumbler and in a matter of a few minutes have a new set of keys made with no disassembly required. This could also be done by removing the ignition yourself and bringing it to the locksmith.

:ghost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts