BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info or first hand accounts of people who've immigrated to the States or have lived for extended time in the U.S. with a foreign passport.

My wife and I are Canadian and are planning to buy property in Las Vegas and live for a portion of the year or perhaps full time there.

We wouldn't be concerned with getting work permits right away as we run a Canadian registered company and are self sustaining, although not entirely necessary I wouldn't mind getting a work permit to work at a tattoo shop legally while I was there.

Eventually, we'd be looking at getting some sort of immigrant status so we can live legally full time in the States.

Any suggestions?

D

·
0 Posts
hit the us consulate. they have all the us immigration info you need.

you can live in the states, as long as you are not working, for several months at a time. just have to prove you have savings, and a residence to go back to after.

it is also possible to get work on a temp visa. h1 i think it is. if you are opening a shop, you stand a far better chance of getting permanent resident status.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PressurePoint said:
One question? Why?
You can buy a 3 bedroom, two level brand new house in a decent neigbouhood in Vegas for about $200,000.

And it doesn't freakin' rain 8 months of the year = ride motorcycle all year round.

And yes, we more financial opportunity for a person in my field. Or any field for that matter.

D

·
0 Posts
vegas has been in a construction boom for a while now.

lots of money to be made there. of course, you can lose just as much.

·
Registered
405 Posts
why is a good question, since it will drive a lot of your decisions.

I used to work in US-Canadian tax, so here are some of my thoughts:

1 - get your travel/immigration permits in order. If you ever decide to relocate down there, you don't want any past troubles to affect your immigration applications.

2 - don't accidentally trip into US tax residency (which is different from legal immigration residency). US tax residency is easy to trip into - just spend 183 "equivalent" days in the US over a 3 year period. If you do trip into tax residency, you will be required to file US tax returns. If yo u don't, then you will be in conflict with US laws, which could affect any future immigration plans (see #1).

3 - don't conduct business in the US (unless you intend to fully comply with US tax laws.) Even if you don't trip into tax-residency, you will still need to file tax returns if you have income connected to the US. Since you indicated you have a business in Canada, you might be tempted to conduct business when you travel in the US (i.e. answer business calls, conclude contracts etc).

4 - don't forget to review Nevada state tax issues. (theres no personal tax there, but there are corporate tax issues).

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm... intersting points, Polared. Thank you.

The "why" is really about improving my cost of living and climate.

I do plan on talking to US immigration about what we're capable of doing within legal parameters. I also plan on talking to a US immigration lawyer to get their take.

I also plan on moving my Canadian company to a Carribean tax shelter haven before moving to the States. Because my business runs solely online, it's easy to transport and operate from any location in the world, as long as I have an internet connection and all transactions and business is done virtually, there's no actualy merchandise being sold. But these tax issues are still very intersting and I really appreciate your tips.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
When I was in Vegas I looked housing while I was there.... its funny how much the city reminds me of Fargo when your off the strip. When I moved from the states to canada it wasn't a big deal for me since Im a dual citizen so I cant offer much. I will say do your research and dont take one customs officers word as the law. I found out trying to import my car. I was told one thing by one officer, threatened to get arrest by another, told I cant import at all without exporting first, etc etc. it became a huge pain in the ass. But lucky for me I had the title to my car so it was all good in the end. I just hope moving back wont pose as much of a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts