BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great News!

We are happy to announce we are improving security across our network and adding Secure Sockets Layer or SSL to the site. This means going forward you'll see Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS); the secure version of HTTP, the protocol used to send data between your browser and the website that you are connected to. This means all communications between your browser and the website will have another layer of encryption. We take the security of your data seriously so updates like this do happen from time to time. There is no downtime or major issues anticipated in this change. If you do notice anything about the site operating not as it should please make sure we are the first to know. You can send a PM to this account with details and we can investigate. Thanks, and if you have any questions about this let me know.

-Your Admin Team

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,809 Posts
FYI you're gonna need to either open up 443 or ensure the daemon is configured to listen there, shit ain't working yet

https://www.bcsportbikes.com/

echo "" | openssl s_client -connect bcsportbikes.com:443
connect: Connection refused
connect:errno=61

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
<div class="truncate-wrap">
<div class="msg-wrap">
<div class="msg-wrap">Great News! *. If you do notice anything about the site operating not as it should please make sure we are the first to know. You can send a PM to this account with details and we can investigate. Thanks, and if you have any questions about this let me know.
-Your Admin Team</div>

</div>
</div>
Maybe this will fix that weird issue of asterisks appearing in people posts.*
I’m still waiting for my newsletter btw.*

I love u vertical grope, if only for owning a bunch of redneck right wing properties, and being yourself owned by the commie torstar corp. *

·
license to chill
2,863 Posts
Why bother?
If someone thinks they can hack this site to somehow monetize data derived from this bunch of cheap SOBs, have at it. It would be like getting blood from a stone.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
Why bother?
If someone thinks they can hack this site to somehow monetize data derived from this bunch of cheap SOBs, have at it. It would be like getting blood from a stone.
Because most browsers starting in July will start to complain when a website is not using https:// that's why. And now that "Let's Encrypt" is now fully supported on most platforms, getting free SSL certs has never been more easy, as long as you are using a Linux platform, it's pretty much automated now, with new certs every 90 days too.

I guess the question should be "why wouldn't you?" instead of why bother. I know I don't want anything I type going across the internet in plain text. I'd much rather have a TLS session over unencrypted.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,809 Posts
aaa yes, the much touted pre-announcement announcement. For a 2 minute deployment.
I look forward to your post-post post.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,809 Posts
ssl handshake failure
1 week on... still no ssl... why roll out the trump and drum so early?

here in 2018, where SSL certs are issued for _free_ and can be setup/installed/deployed in _MINUTES_, it's a bit absurd to announce something so trivial, so invisible to the end-user.... only to fuck off and not implement it...

you could literally fetch a cert for every site on the server in one go (making some basic assumptions here about paths and whatnot)

for DOMAIN in $(ls /var/www/vhosts/); do CMD="letsencrypt-auto certonly -w /var/www/vhosts/${DOMAIN}/www -d ${DOMAIN}"; echo ${CMD}; exec ${CMD}; done
I leave it as an exercise for the admins on how to apply these certs within your config

...or just set me up with admin access, I only charge 1XMR/hr

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
1 week on... still no ssl... why roll out the trump and drum so early?

here in 2018, where SSL certs are issued for _free_ and can be setup/installed/deployed in _MINUTES_, it's a bit absurd to announce something so trivial, so invisible to the end-user.... only to fuck off and not implement it...

you could literally fetch a cert for every site on the server in one go (making some basic assumptions here about paths and whatnot)

I leave it as an exercise for the admins on how to apply these certs within your config

...or just set me up with admin access, I only charge 1XMR/hr
I think they've gotten caught up in the great snow tire thread that's on the front page ...... easy to be side tracked when dealing with something that timely. **

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
I think they've gotten caught up in the great snow tire thread that's on the front page ...... easy to be side tracked when dealing with something that timely. **
It's big business here, the bandwidth used on BCSB lately is approaching that of my Pebble watch, heavy traffic requires a heavy hand.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,809 Posts
...progress!

though it's a bit odd you'd cram in all these SANs on one cert, most servers+browsers these days should support SNI, which would allow you to bind multiple certs to the one IP (if that's a limit here)

not a huge deal, though peeps may be interested in meeting our "neighbours";

echo "" | openssl s_client -connect bcsportbikes.com:443 2>/dev/null | openssl x509 -text | grep DNS | tr ", DNS:" "\n" | grep -v ^$ | grep -v ^www

1130cc.com
1199forums.com
460ford.com
acadiaforum.net
acura-legend.com
audia1forum.com
aussieexotics.com
b15u.com
baseballforum.com
bcsportbikes.com
bettafish.com
bigbikeriders.com
boxingforum.com
camarozone.com
cbr500riders.com
chevyteam.com
chicago-webhosting.net
clubcrosstrek.com
cobaltss.com
coloradofans.com
coltforum.com
crappiefishingchat.com
cricketforum.com
crosstourerforum.com
cruzetalk.com
crvownersclub.com
crzforum.com
ct200hforum.com
ctsvowners.com
cycleforums.com
dirtbikes.com
dodge-dart.org
dodgedurango.net
dsmtalk.com
enclaveforum.net
yxzowners.com
yxztalk.com
z5talk.com
zdxforum.com
zx6r.com
zxforums.com

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
im no computer seismologist or whatever, but if I have to click show all (non secure) content to reply to a thread, doesn't that mean your ssl no-worky for, you know, the exact primary function of a forum? just aksin.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,809 Posts
fyi - the forced kick to www will break login cookies for anyone coming in on the 'naked' domain (no www), which will probably drop the userbase in half again as they have all forgotten how to login since the last great password reset clusterfuck ;p

4. That leaves about 4 users left

1 - 18 of 18 Posts