BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Is it possible to take my current rear hub and get it laced to a new 5 inch wheel? If so, anyone know a good place to take it? Also, would my front wheel need to be re-done as well?

Thanks.

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
How much clearance is there currently between the chain & tire?

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure right now but, I'm not that worried about it since other boards suggest that its not a problem (supermotojunkie, cafehusky).

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
09 Husky sm510r.
The first question i'd ask is why? going to a 160 is just going to slow down it's handling. Beyond that, the biggest concern will be chain slap on the rim as it is a tight fit. It will fit though.

any moto-x shop will be able to order you a 5inch rim and spokes (IF NEEDED). Give Mike at International a call.

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire options. There isn't much out there for the 150.

I'll give him a call, tks.

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Not sure right now but, I'm not that worried about it since other boards suggest that its not a problem (supermotojunkie, cafehusky).
I'm not familiar with your bike but do keep chain/tire clearance in mind. It's a royal pain in the arse shaving a tire edge to make clearance for the chain if they do interfere. A few of us ran into it trying different set ups in sumo racing on 450's.

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
Well, let's see ...

There's the ContiAttack SMs, the Dunlop Unbeatens, Michelin Pilot Powers, the Bridgestone BTs .... need we go on?

The only real reason for a 5" inch wheel is if you're racing - and slicks have a much narrower profile than the street tires, so you don't get chain rub as bad - or if you have a bad-ass torque machine, which the 510 isn't quite there yet. SXV 550? yep. KTM 690? Yessir. Husaberg 570? Hells ya.
Don't sacrifice the flickability of your Husky by throwing a 5" rim on with street tires. Not really worth it.

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks T-rex for the suggestions and links, I didn't know the BT016's came in the 150.

·
Registered
70 Posts
my 570 has more power than his 510, and a 150 is not an issue ;)
I suppose it depends on how you ride. One can definitely run out of tire with 150 on 4.25 inch rim on really good surface. A 160 SM specific tire on 5 inch rim would let you pick up the throttle earlier for better corner exit. The 160 will also be more predictable when the tire starts to let go - the progressive feel makes it easier to slide (it is a supermoto after all, right?). Even a 160 on 4.25 will give you better/more confident drive out of the corner. This is especially true if you ride very push-the-bike-down MXish style.

IMHO The slower steering response is worth it. Besides, you can make up for some of it out by bring the forks up the triples a bit and/or choose a sprocket combo that allows you to run the shortest swing arm adjustment. Or even just trail brake harder :devillook.

Lastly, there's a bit of discrepancy with SM tire and sports bike tire. For the same width SM specific tire are usually narrower when mounted and have a sharper profile with steeper sidewall (ex. ContiAttack SM, which are brilliant tires by the way, Diztanzia are very wide for some reason). Sport bike tires like the Pilots in my experience are slower handling to start with especially if you run them in the front.

160 look moar awesomer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Depending on what you want to do. If you ever want to track your sm you should go to a 5", but if just for spirited street riding, your current setup with 150 is just fine. If you are going for the bigger tire look and don't mind the work and the money, I'd say go for it too :D .

Even if we don't talk about sliding, how hard you can exit a corner depends a lot on your tire. A 510 or a 570 will easily overwhelm a 150 section tire on track when fully leaned over exiting a turn. Just think about how much you can roll on on your bike when your peg is on the ground... ;)

If anyone like to further discussion and tests 150 vs. 160... come out to BCSupermoto this summer and we'll have a go at it hehehe. Wink wink nudge nudge

·
Registered
920 Posts
How much better are they than the older Conti-Force SM? I really like the grip of those tires, however the durability on the rear was a bit of an issue for me. Regardless, I'm ordering a set from Canada's Motorcycle. They are under $300 Canadian, shipped to your door.
Btw, ContiAttack is da bomb... Grips like mad, slide very predictably and lasts. :)

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I suppose it depends on how you ride. One can definitely run out of tire with 150 on 4.25 inch rim on really good surface. A 160 SM specific tire on 5 inch rim would let you pick up the throttle earlier for better corner exit. The 160 will also be more predictable when the tire starts to let go - the progressive feel makes it easier to slide (it is a supermoto after all, right?). Even a 160 on 4.25 will give you better/more confident drive out of the corner. This is especially true if you ride very push-the-bike-down MXish style.
I've read throwing a 160 on a 4.25 is not a good idea and the profile will create weird handling characteristics that won't allow you to use the tire fully, chicken strips that you can't get to for example. :confused

IMHO The slower steering response is worth it. Besides, you can make up for some of it out by bring the forks up the triples a bit and/or choose a sprocket combo that allows you to run the shortest swing arm adjustment. Or even just trail brake harder :devillook.
This is kinda what I was thinking as well.

Cheers,

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Depending on what you want to do. If you ever want to track your sm you should go to a 5", but if just for spirited street riding, your current setup with 150 is just fine. If you are going for the bigger tire look and don't mind the work and the money, I'd say go for it too :D .

Even if we don't talk about sliding, how hard you can exit a corner depends a lot on your tire. A 510 or a 570 will easily overwhelm a 150 section tire on track when fully leaned over exiting a turn. Just think about how much you can roll on on your bike when your peg is on the ground... ;)

If anyone like to further discussion and tests 150 vs. 160... come out to BCSupermoto this summer and we'll have a go at it hehehe. Wink wink nudge nudge
Will be there this season! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts