BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new set of tires, as the Michelins on my bike are getting low, and will probably only last me till the end of this summer. I have seen everyone say only good things about the Michelin Pilot Powers, so I think thats what I will be getting. Are there any downsides to running a 190 wide rear tire when there is a 180 on there? Does the extra 10mm even matter? Or should I stick with the 180?

C

·
0 Posts
Iceman_19 said:
I am looking for a new set of tires, as the Michelins on my bike are getting low, and will probably only last me till the end of this summer. I have seen everyone say only good things about the Michelin Pilot Powers, so I think thats what I will be getting. Are there any downsides to running a 190 wide rear tire when there is a 180 on there? Does the extra 10mm even matter? Or should I stick with the 180?
your on a 600.... stick with the 180

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
stick with whats on there imo. this has been posted before, look around you can probably find it.
if your rim is designed for a 190 then there is no problem, otherwise you're fitting a tire onto a rim that it's not designed for and the profile of the tire may likely be changed.
some people will tell you that a bigger tire will change the handling of the motorcycle, possibly causing the steering to be slower, meaning it will be harder to make steering inputs. I run a 180 on my track 7r and a 190 on my street 7r (190 is the stock size), I don't really notice any diff, thats me tho.. (I like the PVP the 190 brings)

R

·
0 Posts
I didn't even know using a tire size other than what the manufacturer designed it for is possible!

·
???????
908 Posts
Most tire companys will give a range that you can run for a given rim ie. 170/60 on 5-5.5 inch rim, 180/55 on a 5.5-6 inch rim, 190/50 on a 5.5-6inch rim ect.
I have no idea why someone would want to run a 190 on a 600, 180/55 are the shit!!

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasnt sure either, which was the point of the post, to find out if there was a point!

·
???????
908 Posts
Jaybo said:
some people will tell you that a bigger tire will change the handling of the motorcycle, possibly causing the steering to be slower, meaning it will be harder to make steering inputs. I run a 180 on my track 7r and a 190 on my street 7r, I don't really notice any diff, thats me tho.. (I like the PVP the 190 brings)
This is why!!!

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
Defaulthonda said:
What like the writing on the sides? Not sure what you mean.
wtf Patrick i always run my 190's with the whitewallls facing in. :devillook

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Ratzilla said:
anyone have a good site with an explanation of tire specifications?
180/55-17

180 is the overall tire width in mm's. Not the rim width but the overall tread width, This can vary slightly depending on the rim it's mounted on but when mounted on the proper spec rim that will be the width.

/55 is the aspect ratio. When mounted on the proper width the tire height will be 55% of the width.

-17 is the rim diameter that the tire fits onto in inches.

Yes it's a mix of metric and imperial but there you have it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts