BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A.G.A.T.T.
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I've been having problems with fuel delivery.....

see this thread

Anyway, doing some more checks on the bike, I think I have come up with the problem. I added a new inline fuel filter over the winter that seems to creating a "blockage" in the line.

I have tried connecting the fuel line to the petcock (off the bike) with and without the filter attached to the end. NO FLOW with the filter on and the petcock in the prime position.

has anyone used this type of filter before on their bike? My dad had given it to me and I believe it is meant to be for a car.

Can I run my bike without an inline filter? the mess screens on the petcock are still good and there is no "junk" in the tank right now.

edit: there is an arrow on it indicating direction, but there is no flow no matter what the scenario
hopefully this is it and I can get the bike insured next week!

·
Not a sexual innuendo
239 Posts
i usually have to suck the air our to get the fuel to start flowing. And yes u get gas in my mouth

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Car fuel filters are intended for use with fuel pumps that in most cases provide a higher pressure than you will get from a gravity feed system. The filter material on your filter may be so tight that it won't let gas flow through with the small head pressure amount provided by simple gravity. If you want to use a filter perhaps try one with a more open material.

·
A.G.A.T.T.
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think i'll pass on the "gas in my mouth" proceedure and just take the filter out for now.

thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
774 Posts
my zx6 had a filter that looked nearly the same as that and it ran fine... did your bike EVER run with the filter or did you just try running the bike now?

Sorry i'm not much help just commenting :D

·
A.G.A.T.T.
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the bike ran once with that this particular filter on it. but i think it only let the fuel pass through because there was a lot of gas in the tank (more head pressure right TeeTee?). after that, it never filled the carbs in Prime OR let the fuel pass when the switch was on "On" or "Res".

anyway, there was a smaller glass inline filter on it last year and over the winter i thought i would change it. this one happen to be laying around my dad's part's bin...............

Grant, did your zx6 have a fuel pump?

·
It's a flat black 600 now
66 Posts
IF you're not the type to suck you might rather blow ... Take the cap off, put it on prime, leave the line off the bottom of the filter and wrap your lips around and blow. Once it starts it should keep going, if it won't that one won't work for you.

It's not really the right type of filter but it should have enough flow. If starts to die while pulling a hill but picks up when you let off change it to one of those cleanable bike ones or just another with a higher micron rating.

Also, those filters often have an air bubble in them, that's normal.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You can buy a nice filter at automotive parts stores for bikes, atvs, and snowmobiles. I've used them for years with no problems. They are clear, pancake shaped, with fine mesh screen inside. This screen will not pass water. The name escapes me but Long Lake Auto in Naniamo is where I always buy them. 250-758-1345

·
Not a sexual innuendo
239 Posts
phantomgti said:
I think i'll pass on the "gas in my mouth" proceedure and just take the filter out for now.

thanks for the help guys!
hahah

it clears the sinuses!

but seriously, might just have to get it start flowing, If ur really worried, get a clear tube and attach it to the filter and then you can guage when to stop sucking

1 - 9 of 9 Posts