BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering installing SS front brake lines myself. Is this a staightforward task or is it best left for the professionals?

Also, which brand is preferred, Galfer or Goodridge?

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
if you can bleed brakes you can install lines.... get the goodridge lines

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
But bleeding the new 4 and 6 pot stuff is far from easy. There's more spots in there for air bubbles to hide than places for monsters in the scary house of a grade B flic.......

But it's not impossible. Just be patient and try to think like an air bubble.....

·
Team Modern Racing
1,032 Posts
It's easy. Just make sure you don't over-tighten the banjo bolts, and make sure you don't forget to use the washers. After bleeding the brakes thoroughly, use a racer's trick: pull in the lever and tie it to the bar using a zip-tie or rubber band, leave it overnight. All the tiny bubbles will make their way to the resevior leaviing you with a firm feeling lever. I'm running Galfer lines on my race bike.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I am NOT mechanical at all, and I installed Goodridge lines.

Just remember that once you get the new lines on, tighten the banjo's hand tight first, and get everything the way you want it before you torque them down. The crush washers are only supposed to be torqued once, so you get one shot at it.

Other than that, it is a simple matter of keeping the brake resevoir full while you bleed. :)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
ummm kinda confued....wouldn't you do away with the reservoir with the SS lines ? I want ot change mine but kinda weary of working on such an important piece of the bike....

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Human said:
ummm kinda confued....wouldn't you do away with the reservoir with the SS lines ? I want ot change mine but kinda weary of working on such an important piece of the bike....
I think you're getting the reservoir on the master cylinder confused with the crossover manifold where the one line comes down and splits into the two that go to the calipers.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
ahhhh....you doing this on purpose aren't you Bruce ? you um...speak english ? I thought there was only one reservoir...

BMatthews said:

I think you're getting the reservoir on the master cylinder confused with the crossover manifold where the one line comes down and splits into the two that go to the calipers.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Farhad,

There is only one reservoir. (Two if you want to get technical, one front, one rear) The plastic cup that holds the fluid. You will need to keep this. The reservoir holds excess fluid that is drawn out when you force (compress) the fluid into the calipers. The reservoir does hold much more fluid than it really needs to, but it does to prevent a complete failure.

I believe what Bruce was talking about was further down the brake line. From his explanation Kawi's have a single brake line going from the master cylinder (right after the brake level) down to a crossover manifold, which splits the single line into two (One for each caliper).

Correct me if I'm wrong?

I've got two SS lines coming from my master cylinder to each caliper.

The only change you'll notice with SS or Kevlar lines is that the brakes will come on firmer and never fade. Grabbing a handful of front brakes with SS lines in the wrong situation may be worse than having rubber lines.. so make sure you're comfortable with emergency braking before you goto SS lines.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Aw, Jim...... It was more fun baffling him with techno-babble :evilgrin

:laughing

......The flayrod's gone out of skew on the treadle......

For 10 points what Monty Python skit is that from......

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
BMatthews said:
Aw, Jim...... It was more fun baffling him with techno-babble :evilgrin

:laughing

......The flayrod's gone out of skew on the treadle......

For 10 points what Monty Python skit is that from......
Sorry Bruce.. :(

I know! I Know! (I think)

Monty Pyhton's Flying Circus.. The Spanish Inquisition. The flayrod is refered to as a cross beam, no?

Jim.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Big Jim said:

I know! I Know! (I think)

Monty Pyhton's Flying Circus.. The Spanish Inquisition. The flayrod is refered to as a cross beam, no?

Jim.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION..... Our chief weapon is surprise.....and fear.... our TWO chief weapons are suprise and fear..... :laughing

Flayrod is a crossbeam?........HOW THE HELL SHOULD I KNOW.... I thought it was just more of their sillyness :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts