BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see a topic on this and figured it might be a good one to start. What does everyone opt for when buying insurance for their bike? I always end up getting the full meal deal and wonder whether I am overinsuring myself

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
yup....full meal deal...the bank still owns it for another year.

$134/month

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well put it this way, I am a big fan of having full insurance, if the bike is new, I only pay around $100 a month anyway so its well worth it for me, especially since the bikes just got stolen.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone used insurance companys other than ICBC? I heard once that there is an agent on the island who offers an option which is somewhere around 20% less than if you did all your insurance through ICBC

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
cooldaddygroove said:
Has anyone used insurance companys other than ICBC? I heard once that there is an agent on the island who offers an option which is somewhere around 20% less than if you did all your insurance through ICBC
I use them, they are called Megson Fitzpatrick Inc. www.meagsonfitzpatrick.com so far they have been really good, very reasonable, and polite staff. Their insurance is underwritten by ING Western Union. They cover you for everything while riding, helmet, leathers, etc...and if you take your ICBC insurance off you automatically have storage insurance.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What would you say you saved over ICBC?
Were they able to offer advice on how best to keep the costs down?

G

·
0 Posts
I know they are big with the Harley guys.

Are they doing sport bikes now? I was turned down for a 929 but they accepted the VTR.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
VTR_Rider said:
I know they are big with the Harley guys.

Are they doing sport bikes now? I was turned down for a 929 but they accepted the VTR.
They accepted my R1, and I saved about $900 dollars over ICBC.

M

·
0 Posts
icbc

I go through ICBC with the full meal deal. With 40% discount I have to pay a little over $2K a year. I feel violated by them! I also picked up a 3 yr private insurace deal when I bought my bike new. If it gets stolen in the next 3 yrs on top of what ICBC pays me out, the 3rd party will pay me USD$2500. I think I payed CDN$600 or so for the extra insurance. So for 3yrs I don't have to worry much about my bike being stolen. I would opt for a disk lock but I'm so forgetful I know it would take me a day to forget I have it on there!

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
I'm saving about $200 a year with Megson. A big advantage with them is that the policy is for a full year. With ICBC, I have to get a separate storage policy in the winter. And ICBC loves to hit you with short-term surcharges.

·
Wear proper gear pls ;)
1,822 Posts
Disc locks. Ick. I have rode away once with it on, major damage to my front brakes (wouldn't even work, rode to the shop in 1st and 2nd only using back brake), and also knipped off a piece of my front fender on the R1 backing up slowly with the disc lock on. Heh, I hate those things, I now know though that they can just pick your bike up and hoist it into a truck, so either get the heavy duty chains and lock the bike to something, or don't use the disc lock.

As for private insurance, I saved $600 this year insuring my R1 though Megson Fitzpatrick instead of ICBC. AND GET THIS... since you all know my R1 was just stolen, I made a claim for my 1,000 km service to be refunded, after all I only had 2,500 km on my bike (2 months old) and would have to pay a 2nd time on my new bike ($300). Heh, they actually refunded me for the service! I thought I'd just throw it in there, just in case, good thing I did. Supa!!!! :D

Also, with private insurance, Bieu and I are only waiting 2 weeks for our new bikes, that is 2 weeks less than if you only insure with ICBC.

Yes they insure sport bikes now, but only if you're a safe driver and have so many years of experience. Sweet deal for me, I qualified.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Well I just got my quote back from Fitzpatrick, $595 for a year's worth of isnurance through them.. plus my ICBC part..

So according to my calculations.. that means I save about $1000 a year? I'm currently paying $2400/year through ICBC.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! Wowee Wow Wow!
Guess I will cancel my monthly ICBC payment and sign up with these folks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts