BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
ICBC doesn't give me a straight answer to this question. If someone gets into a accident and its there fault. they're insurance will automatcially go down to like 5% or whatever.. what happens if they dont insure anything and lets say take the bus or just not drive for the next 3 years..

I know if you continue insuring.. you have to pay higher rates obviously, but every year it jumps back up and your back to where you started after 3 years, but what if you dont insure anything.. does it still go up?

thanks

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Your insurance discount will continue to rise wether you insure a vehicle or not.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first off, you have it backwards. discount is down, surcharge is up.

you don't skip out on paying increased rates by not having insurance. it will stay on your record. you owe what you owe until you've done your time. someone a while ago did a detailed explanation on just how long you really pay increased rates. it was a lot more than just a few years.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
talked to a autobroker.. they told me to call icbc.. then when i called icbc the lady didn't seem like she knew what she was talkign about, she told me that i have to insure and my discount will not increase till i insure.. cause its my debt to icbc or some shit.. then a few weeks later i talked to someone else and they said thats dumb, and basically exactly what you said.. so i called back and a different lady told me something else.. Does anyone know for sure? or done this before..

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
I believe you get your incremental safe driver discount for every year you don't have an at fault claim. You don't have to carry insurance during those years but you probably need to maintain a license.

That said, if someone else insures your car for you (cuz they have a discount) and you are the principal driver (yet you kept that secret) and you get into an accident I think ICBC could get nasty on your arse or at least the person who insured the car.

I have to admit the way you word your question is a little confusing and might be throwing off the agent. Either that or they suspect your trying to dodge the bullet and don't wanna do you any favours by answering your question.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so is this guy wrong then?

"you don't skip out on paying increased rates by not having insurance. it will stay on your record. you owe what you owe until you've done your time. someone a while ago did a detailed explanation on just how long you really pay increased rates. it was a lot more than just a few years"

cause technicallyu i dont owe them nothiung.. they cant charge me for a accident.. they can just reduce my discount right. If i dont insure, it should just go back up.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Aydin said:
talked to a autobroker.. they told me to call icbc.. then when i called icbc the lady didn't seem like she knew what she was talkign about, she told me that i have to insure and my discount will not increase till i insure.. cause its my debt to icbc or some shit.. then a few weeks later i talked to someone else and they said thats dumb, and basically exactly what you said.. so i called back and a different lady told me something else.. Does anyone know for sure? or done this before..
I didn't have a vehicle insured for 3 years and my discount increased each year 2002, 2003, 2004. In 05 I put myself as the principal driver of a company vehicle and I had moved up 3 steps (for 3 years) on the discount scale. Unless something has changed in the last two years it goes up regardless wether you have a vehicle insured or not.

Madmans right on to, if you thinking about getting someone else to insure your vehicle don't do it because the risk does not outway the reward.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya that part i know... cause when your younger and your not insuring.. u still go up by 5% a year, but what happens if you have insurded, then get into a accident, then your discount goes down. Do they freeze your discount till you insure again or do they still increase you again.. Normally they increase you by 10% after a accident, so i would go from 5 to 15 to 25 or something like that. but what if i dont insure

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
Aydin said:

"you don't skip out on paying increased rates by not having insurance. it will stay on your record. you owe what you owe until you've done your time. someone a while ago did a detailed explanation on just how long you really pay increased rates. it was a lot more than just a few years"

cause technicallyu i dont owe them nothiung.. they cant charge me for a accident.. they can just reduce my discount right. If i dont insure, it should just go back up.
ok hold on ....

You had an at fault accident,

1. You had insurance to cover it and you used it, so it impacted your discount. Now you will slowly get your discount back for each year youre on the road without an at fault claim.

2. or you had an at fault accident but didn't have or use your insurance. Thus your discount is affected and you could even owe them money as you had NO insurance in place. If this is the case you owe them money. If you don't pay them then they aren't going to reward you for safe driving.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no i had insurance and i used them to pay for the accident. It was just a single vehicle accident. the bike was a right off.

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
Aydin said:
no i had insurance and i used them to pay for the accident. It was just a single vehicle accident. the bike was a right off.
ok this is getting hilarious. :laughing

you will slowly get your increment back PERIOD. just don't have another at fault accident.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aydin said:

this guy is not wrong. if you "don't owe them nothing", then why are you concerned about your discount and increased premiums?

if you are at fault, you pay. it may be now, it may be later, but you pay. if you owe them for ANYTHING, you pay. you can take 10 years off driving, and the instant you insure, a little note will pop up saying you owe. and now, with interest.

and if you don't pay, you will more than likely be taken to collections.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but i dont owe nothing.. thats why i insure.. so insurance covers it..just wanted to find out if the insurance will keep increasing, seems like it.. thanks

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
So you had insurance, wiped out your bike and got paid off for it then you lost some of your discount? Now your trying to find out that if you don't reinsure a vehicle will your insurance discount still continue moving back towards the good side? The answer is yes it will, 5% a year if your at 0% or better.

ICBC Claimrate Scale

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
... i think you'll find that some of the rules have changed. Initially, your insurance went down regardless if you had a vehicle insured in your name or not. Then the incriments in the discount/surcharge % widened, and the '%' would only drop if you had insurance in your name. After realizing that people were insuring mopeds and other cheap vehicles to get around the increase rates from accidents, icbc (i believe) moved low engine size mopeds into another catigory that gave a cheap rate for them but wasn't part of the safe driver's discount program.

IN FINISHING ~ you're gonna need a vehicle insured to bring those rates down. The loop-holes are closed, and the conditions are tighter.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The answer is here

http://www.icbc.com/insurance/insura_prmset_yurcla_crsinf.asp

Then, under the heading "Claim Rated Scale," there's a small PDF file, showing a graphic of how it works.

Aydin, you mentioned the 5%, which I'll assume is a discount. It doesn't matter where you are on that "discount level," or what icbc calls the Claim Rated Scale, if you have an "at fault," collision, then you move "up," on the Claim Rated scale. (your discount goes down, and you suffer increased premiums)
So next year you bite the bullet, and insure your bike, car, whatever, at the new, increased level. Each year you pay for premiums, and have no "at fault," claims, your premiums will go down.
The little graphic works like this,
1/ figure out where you were (prior to the claim) on the Claim Rated Scale.
2/ go "up" six steps, and that's your new discount/surcharge.
3/ each claim free year of paying for insurance, you go down on the claim rated scale.
So, each year you are "claim free," your discount gets bigger by 5%. (uh, that means your premiums go down.

There's some hooks to this though. One of the little known hooks is the really big surcharge. After 3 years of claim free, premium paying years, you will be at the base rate.

This claim rated scale was introduced a few years ago to provide bigger discounts to claim free motorists, by having the newer drivers (without a claim free history) take a little longer to get the maximum discount.

If you completely ignore the "discounts," and "claim rated scale," a new driver starts off "here," (put hand at throat level) and his premium go down by 5% each claim free year he's insured. At fault claim? (hand goes over your head), *now* each claim free year the premiums go down from that level.

Does that make sense?

The other misconception is the one where you believe if you "drive safe," for years, you beat down your premiums (increasing discount level). Sorry, you "earn," discounts by claim free years, *that you pay a premium* (insure a vehicle)

First, let's clear up some semantics.
Your discount goes "up," your premiums go down.
Your discount goes "down," your premiums go up.

While you may get differing answers from the employees, go ahead and insure a vehicle, the computer knows, and if it doesn't, it will within a year or so (premium cycle).
The computer will not increase your premiums in advance, it does so in arrears.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so what your saying is i am basically fuked? I have to ensure under my name to get my discount back? that doesn't make sense though.. I thought insurance is to cover you, basically i pay and pay so if something happens they cover me. not make me pay for the accident my self by forced increased rates. I would assume that if i dont insure that my discount should continue to go up.
did i understand what you wrote then?

thanks for the info

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
My wife and I have changed the ownership of our car a number of times as our work situations have changed, each time to make sure that the one driving to work was was the registered owner (they didn't used to have the "primary driver" thing). Our positions on the claim rated scale continued to improve in the years that one of us did not insure the car.

This thread has become a little confused with the addition of other "monies owing" situations to ICBC. I believe Aydin's original post was just asking about the simple situation of an at-fault accident claim that was paid for by ICBC. You lose your discount (or you lose X positions on the claim-rated scale), after three years with no at-fault claims you get your original position back. The increased premiums during those three years may or may not cover the cost of the claim... A person who started out with a high discount on the scale may not pay much at all (if anything). A person low on the scale may pay a lot more than the actual cost of the claim. Each situation is different, so find out where you are on the scale and work it out! It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I dunno if you're "fuked," or not, but I do know, you have to earn your discount by claim free years of motoring, while paying premiums.
From an insurance point of view, your are a statistic that is likely to cause a loss, and t hat's why you pay more in premiums than geezers like me.
REmember, an insurance company thinks in terms of really big numbers.
you're right that "insurance is there to cover you," but think of this, you've been riding how many years, and have had an "at fault," claim. The insurance company doesn't know, by your history, that in the next same number of years, you're not going to have another claim.
One thing we forget about insurance company's like icbc, they think in terms of claims losses.
Your premiums go up the same %, no matter if the claim is worth $100, $10,000 or $1,000,000.
If the claim ended up being $178,401, as a result of your negligence or fault, the increase in premiums would seem like you were getting a bargain. The system in BC is not perfect, however, it does reflect pretty much what's going on in the insurance industry in all of north america. Riskier motorists pay higher premiums, claims free motorists get the benefit of big discounts.
anyway, to answer your question, yes, you'll have to insure a vehicle and pay premiumds *and* be claim free, and soon you'll be in bigger discount territory.
I hear a lot of "pay and pay," from insurance clients.
Really, car insurance is a rental plan. You are renting access to a bunch of money you hope you never have to use. No one wants to crash, either their own fault, or someone else's.
I can't complain about the rent I paid 4 years ago, because I had the benefit of the shelter at that time, just like you and I had the benefit of access to that big pile of money, if we needed it, from the insurance premiums we both paid back then.
The best places for answers on this should be the insurance company, or an agent. Someone who can look up your claim history, and your current discount level, and give you the straight goods. It's regrettable you couldn't get the answers there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
you keep getting 5% discount for each year that you are free of any at-fault accident, regardless of whether you're insured or not. I had an at-fault accident 4 years ago that had caused my premium to go up to a 5% surcharge. I have since then moved to Toronto for school and been without auto insurance for 4 years. Now that I am back, I checked with ICBC a few days ago and found out that I am currently at 20% discount level. Hope this helps :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts