BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Ryan R said:
This is completely the oposite of what your owners manual says to do and he says its the better way to do it. Check it out :rolleyes

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
i've read this before.... all I can say is, who you gonna trust? the manual by the people who built your bike or this guy with the stupid grin on his face? :laughing :laughing

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
I've read this guy's stuff too. A bit too heavy with the "think outside the box" motivational kinda stuff, but interesting and entertaining.

When comparing his break-in procedure vs. the manual, he claims his method will produce a more powerful engine, while the manual's prescription will give you reliability. I buy it -- the manufacturers want you to believe their claims on power and still have a reliable ride.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Actually, that is more or less how I broke in my 99 Fireblade. I figured that I would have the bike for 5 years at the most, so even if I comprimised the durability a little, it would still last my timespan.

I have no problems, and when I had the mechanic at Carter take it for a spin after a tune up, he actually commented that it had a lot more oomph than any other stock Blade he had ridden--which could only be one but the point is he noticed something. :)

So maybe there is something to it?

J

·
0 Posts
The manufacturer doesn't give a shit whether your bike makes 10 or 100 horsepower after it leaves their dealer's hands. They do however have a vested interest making it as reliable as possible, to them, losing 10 horsepower to lower the chance of a breakdown even 1% is a good deal for them since it adds up to a fair number less claims on the warantee.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Believe this man ! He knows his shit!
Or go down to Pacific Yamaha and ask Kerry Smith(Magic Wrench)
he has worked for factory bike guy's ,and built many a engines in his time as a mechenic. He allways said.
" A MOTOR BROKEN IN FAST,IS A FAST MOTOR"

B

·
0 Posts
PH-Q2 said:
Believe this man ! He knows his shit!
Or go down to Pacific Yamaha and ask Kerry Smith(Magic Wrench)
he has worked for factory bike guy's ,and built many a engines in his time as a mechenic. He allways said.
" A MOTOR BROKEN IN FAST,IS A FAST MOTOR"
i've always heard the same thing...manufacturers just want you to take it easy until the warranty runs out

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
this method does work, and is great if you are like me and change your bike every couple of years, but if you plan on keeping it for the long haul I would follow the manual or ride it just a bit harder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts