BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
Like the article says, they've been trying to address it for the last 30 years.

Doesn't seem like they've made much progress - HD's are louder and more annoying than ever... They seem to be following in the same footsteps as the 'war on drugs' and we all know how successful that program has been...

My 2 cents.

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
Some motorcyclists profess to believe that "loud pipes save lives," although research tends to contradict that popular axiom. (Few of those who say they want exhaust noise for safety's sake use other means—such as brightly colored apparel—which have been proven effective.)
I figure that to be more visible to other road users, my bright clothing distinguishes me from the road, as does my red bike. But I do not assume that any of the drivers out there actually have their eyes open and LOOK for bikes.

The loudest Hardleys seem to be ridden by the "baddest" boys, at least that's what I figure they want us to think about their loudness.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Hahahahaha... Harley makes a model called the 'Night Rod'.

Night Rod. giggle.

R

·
0 Posts
The stock bikes are quiet enough, it's just that not many bikes leave the showroom with stock pipes.

Their going to be in trouble soon because air cooled motors won't pass the newer emmission and noise standards, hence the water cooled motor. It's possible that they could not sell the traditional air cooled HD motors in California, their biggest market.

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
Tattoodles said:
Hahahahaha... Harley makes a model called the 'Night Rod'.

Night Rod. giggle.

it's just a cool name for a v-rod with a headlight fairing...bike is usually all black or another dark colour.

still silly of them!

Pete

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Harley-Davidson's current stance actually puts it on the cutting edge of corporate responsibility regarding exhaust-noise. It is the only company that has both taken an anti-noise stance and offers street-legal accessory exhaust systems as an alternative to loud aftermarket pipes. Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki have never offered nor endorsed accessory systems for their cruisers.
Wow thats a pile of PR crap, the Jap bike makers never had to look at exhaust noise :laughing

At least mine have been quiet . . .

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
Does this mean that some time in the future we can enjoy a quite Sunday morning breakfast in Fort Langley!!?

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
It's just a marketing ploy aligned with their efforts to reach within the boomer demographic. Specifically: the untapped market of polite boomers who want Harleys ...but their gated 55+ communities don't allow noise before noon or after 3pm. F*cks up their golf game.

:drinkbeer

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
SkipTkt said:
It's just a marketing ploy aligned with their efforts to reach within the boomer demographic.
I believe it is a marketing ploy but I don't think they are trying to woo the boomers. I think they have that solidly in the bag. I think they are doing a judo flip trick on the legislators around the US trying to move their attention through contrition on the issue of loud pipes.

HD will still upsell their clientele on stage 1's and other exhaust destroying upgrades once they sell the bikes. They simply have to convince the legislators that they are taking the noise pollution issue seriously so they can continue to sell their bikes.

If laws get passed outlawing loud bikes then HD looses, of course. If HD say they are addressing the issue it buys them time, in theory.

This is a common business tactic. Think tobacco companies. Think oil companies.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
heisenberg9 said:
I believe it is a marketing ploy but I don't think they are trying to woo the boomers... If laws get passed outlawing loud bikes then HD looses, of course. If HD say they are addressing the issue it buys them time, in theory.

This is a common business tactic. Think tobacco companies. Think oil companies.
:thumbup
Very good point. I hadn't thought of that angle. Guess I'm not evil enough... but I do agree. :D

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
SkipTkt said:
Very good point. I hadn't thought of that angle. Guess I'm not evil enough... but I do agree. :D
I dunno.... I've seen you eat and I thought THAT was pretty evil ! ! ! !

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
SkipTkt said:
That's what 20 years of working in and around the advertising industry will do to you: give you insight into the guys ;)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'd be more impressed if they took straight pipes out of their accessories catalogue.
I think they are "out," of their accessories catalogue. I believe the straight pipes are in the other after market accessories catalogue.
Besides, is there room in a HD catalogue for pipes, what with t-shirts, pens, lighters, beer fridges.......
(former harley rider myself, and yes, I admit I'd have another one in the garage)

·
Registered
978 Posts
HD=Hardly Driveable...my family friend has a bunch of friends who own harleys and they spend as much time in the shop getting repairs done as riding meanwhile he spent 1/3 as much and bought a honda shadow which in 5 years of riding never had more than a tuneup each year done and then sold it to my dad this past spring

1 - 18 of 18 Posts