BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I am splitting a shaw cable internet connection here. I am using an internet hub, and this weekend I all of a sudden started losing my connection. It just disconnects, it stays on the hsot computer, but I lose it. But all I have to do is unplug my internet from the back, plug it back in, and I instantly have connection again. Any suggestions? This is a major pain in the ass. It started doing it like a month or two ago and the problem just went away. Help, please!

Miguel

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
StagnantWaterPo said:
Hey guys!

I am splitting a shaw cable internet connection here. I am using an internet hub, and this weekend I all of a sudden started losing my connection. It just disconnects, it stays on the hsot computer, but I lose it. But all I have to do is unplug my internet from the back, plug it back in, and I instantly have connection again. Any suggestions? This is a major pain in the ass. It started doing it like a month or two ago and the problem just went away. Help, please!

Miguel

What brand is it?
Is the driver updated for the hub?
Is your ip static..

So many variables...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
treefinder said:
What brand is it?
Is the driver updated for the hub?
Is your ip static..

So many variables...
Netgear
10Base-T Ethernet Hub
Model EN104TP

rest of everything you just said means junk to me :(

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
call shaw, tell them you are having problems.

a modem dropping is nothing we can help you with. shaw gives 2 free ips, but the second one is not automatic. they could have been screwing with that kind of thing. call and ask.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doug said:

a modem dropping is nothing we can help you with. shaw gives 2 free ips, but the second one is not automatic. they could have been screwing with that kind of thing. call and ask.
Can you explain this a little better to me? We asked them before about a second computer hook up. They basically said fuck off and that it would cost us. Hence splitting it like this.

·
Registered
212 Posts
doug said:

Really i never knew that...as far as i know you have to pay for the second IP. May be they started doing it to keep up with their competition (Telus DSL - 2 free IP) then again I signed up for shaw like 5 years ago.

My cousin has had the same problem of dropping connection, and he was telling me its shaw's usual problems fortunately I haven't had this problem yet.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What doug says is true...
Shaw sometimes gives 2 ips with the regular shaw connection.
If you get anything more they drop it? (the 2nd ip)
If you are dropping connection most likely it is the case/ nothing can be fixed or done about it....

If they said hence fuckoff to you then you know the answer is you need another ip..

Or just get wise and change to telus its cheaper and faster. Shaw is a bunch of assmonkies. If i get into this you will be listening to me freak for dayz

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shaw gives you 2 free ips with the modem. telus, when they actually had dsl worth having, gave 5. now i don't know what they give, and i don't care. they suck shit.

you have one ip when you fire up the modem. if you put the modem on a switch or a hub, and connect 2 computers to the switch or hub, you can get the second ip, but you have to call shaw to ask them to enable it in the modem. it used to be automatic, but they want to try to conserve their address space so you have to ask for it now.

right now, i have 2 wireless routers connected to a switch, connected to the cable modem. had to call shaw and get them to enable the second ip, and after that, both worked like a hot damn.

if they are telling you it will cost to have 2 ips on the same modem, i'd escalate to a manager, or go to a shaw store and complain. get the tech's name when you call first. write it down. they love putting notes in your file, and altering or deleting them. i had an appointment booked by one guy, then removed because i told him he didn't know what the fuck he was talking about (tried to tell me i caused a static discharge in the coax cable that blew out my digital box)

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Get a router and all your problems will be solved! A router can connect multiple computers to the internet using one IP address.

Way easier to use. All you gotta do is connect the cables up!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That all seems interesting to me. The thing that makes me wonder so much is taht we have been using this hub and jacking it for like 2-3 years, and the problem is JUST happening now...

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
That all seems interesting to me. The thing that makes me wonder so much is taht we have been using this hub and jacking it for like 2-3 years, and the problem is JUST happening now...
Shaw has probably noticed that you're using 2 IP addresses for the internet now I guess.

And the other one is not an assigned one so you get booted off.

With a switch, you're using two IP addresses for the internet. There is no consolidation point on a hub.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think you read it all Coolio, or I'm just not explaining it well enough. But like I said, I had this problem a while back and it resolved itself. I think it if was Shaw controlled, it would have kept happening. Not go away for a couple months and come back like a piss off.

coolio said:
Shaw has probably noticed that you're using 2 IP addresses for the internet now I guess.

And the other one is not an assigned one so you get booted off.

With a switch, you're using two IP addresses for the internet. There is no consolidation point on a switch.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
I'm not sure how it works exactly with shaw? If the other IP address is not assigned, then you will have an IP address conflict with somebody else with that IP address. If you don't have a static IP address, this might be the problem.

You IP address changes from time to time b/c of maintenance of whatever.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I'm jacking shaw, and I have a $100.00 Linksys wireless router. No prob (only drops connections like a few times a month)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gots me a hub. Explain the differences between a router and the hub. I'm not going to drop cash unless I knowa little more, and it will fix the problemo!

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
With a router you automaticlaly have a built in firewall and all your data transfer is dedicated. Unlike a hub you're sharing the line when you do data transfers.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
miguel, there is no guarantee a router will fix your problem. you need to know why the cable modem is dropping the connection first.. which is a phone call to shaw.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Miguel does this problem only occur if you have two computers running at the same time? Does it happen if you only have one? If you have problems regardless s of two or one computers this is Shaw problem. Have them test your modem or get it replaced, they should also test you line. When you have working connection go to www.dslreports.com and test your speed. If too low it may indicated modem problem.

As few have indicated get yourself a router it will definitely save you many headaches. If you shop around you can get one for about $40.

For the difference between a router and a hub you can think of you phone. A hub is like the line splitter you can attach two phones but make calls from only one at a time. To use the second one you need another number. A router is line a PBX (this will be the phone system) many call from many phones can be made using the same number.

Now to fully understand the benefits of the router. It will shield you home computers from all the garbage that exists with Shaw cable. Your computer will have less exposure to malicious users.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts