BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ridin' Dirty
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K I finally joined the iPod fanatic craze, except one thing, anyone know of a good ear piece that stays in when you stick your helmet on and pull it off. Brand names, stores, prices...thnx.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got these little beauties and use them almost everytime I ride. They stay put fairly well, but if you dont have them jammed right in, they can wiggle thier way out when you put your helmet on. But once you get the hang of getting them pressed right in your ear, they stay put and sound quality is good. Keeps the wind noise out almost as well as foam ear plugs as well.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9394G/A

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
EOS said:
I got these little beauties and use them almost everytime I ride. They stay put fairly well, but if you dont have them jammed right in, they can wiggle thier way out when you put your helmet on. But once you get the hang of getting them pressed right in your ear, they stay put and sound quality is good. Keeps the wind noise out almost as well as foam ear plugs as well.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9394G/A

+1 I have those ones too and they work perfectly. They even come with different sized earpieces for differents sized ear holes. :tredmill

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Just had a kid at the high school right by where I work die. Riding his bike with headphones, distracted, dead. Headphones are for the long boring highway, careful in the city.

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
If you are looking for good sound the Shure E-2 are a good bet. They are under $100. You corkscrew them into your ear. They have really good isolation so the road noise is almost non-existent. They lie flat in your outer ear and dont protrude which is a problem with most of the earphones that boast "good isolation". Tony aka Thumper8 and I have them. I have tried a few high end earbuds that cost a lot more than the E-2s but these are the most comfortable for long rides and have good enough sound quality that I can tolerate them.

I special ordered mine from Long and McQuade but if you phone around I am sure you can find them in stock at a music store or a place that carries the Shure line of products.

There are a few threads here on BCSB on this topic...

·
Born to sweep.
611 Posts
KOSS "the plug", about $30, sold at Radio Shack (now The Source). Click

They are pretty good at noise isolating, much cheaper than Shure, stay put fairly well. Some people hate them, I find them good for general listening and I can fit them under my helmet. You can take them back to the 'Shack (now called The Source) if you don't like them, if they don't fit in your helmet, etc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use the stock ear plugs with silicone covers.
I think the picked them up at London Drugs.
The ear plug speakers, stay put.

·
Ridin' Dirty
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flowrider said:
Just had a kid at the high school right by where I work die. Riding his bike with headphones, distracted, dead. Headphones are for the long boring highway, careful in the city.
Ya but where did he get them?

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Libby said:
Ya but where did he get them?
:laughing

That is pretty sick but for some reason I found it funny....I guess that makes me a sick bastard too. :(

My brother has a pair of the Shure E-3's and they work very well for sound quality and ambient noise cancellation, but they should for over $200 (Future Shop). I think pretty much any earphones that have the rubber or foam covers in different sizes would suit your purposes though, if you get the right fit they stay in there nicely. Good luck. :)

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Lots of threads on this topic - search around for more tips.

Libby said:
anyone know of a good ear piece that stays in when you stick your helmet on and pull it off.
You can keep any plugs in place if you use a bandana / do rag / skullcap over your ears before you slide your helmet on. I used to knock my E-2's out sometimes when putting my helmet on - not a problem now with a cheapo skullcap.... got mine on sale from Lululemon. Also keeps your helmet from getting sweaty in summer - no more stinky lid!

heisenberg9 said:
Tony aka Thumper8 and I have them. I have tried a few high end earbuds that cost a lot more than the E-2s but these are the most comfortable for long rides and have good enough sound quality that I can tolerate them
E-2's are best value for sound and price and comfort I have found :rockon

·
Rock bottom here I come
1,021 Posts
I went to the local Sony store and picked up a set. They have a soft silicon cover that works well to reduce ambient noise. I paid about 80.00 for them. When I have the volume set low I can listen to my music and still hear the traffic around me.

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
I am using Koss headphones from the source, they have the squishy earplugs that expand in your ear. They sound great, and block out most of the wind noise etc. I paid 60 bucks plus tax

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
r1100s said:
KOSS "the plug", about $30, sold at Radio Shack (now The Source). Click

They are pretty good at noise isolating, much cheaper than Shure, stay put fairly well. Some people hate them, I find them good for general listening and I can fit them under my helmet. You can take them back to the 'Shack (now called The Source) if you don't like them, if they don't fit in your helmet, etc.

WTF! I paid 59.99 less than 3 months ago! unless there are different models of the "th plug", otherwise I am pissed!

·
Born to sweep.
611 Posts
alternateimpact said:
WTF! I paid 59.99 less than 3 months ago! unless there are different models of the "th plug", otherwise I am pissed!
You got hosed. They've never been that expensive!

·
'Busa girls, God love 'em
5,842 Posts
I bought a set of sony headphones from london drugs thinner the better pulled them off the headset then, pulled away the soft foam around the ear section on my helmet, you might have to remove some styrofoam to get it flush, so no pressure is on your ears

took 5 minutes and its very comfy, I found anything in my ear.... no matter how good, hurt after some time, esp taking the helmet off and on

·
Banzai!
35 Posts
I really like the sony ear buds. can't remember the model but they are about 80$ or so at the sony store. They're black with a siler sony logo. the're much better than the crappy ipod ones.

R

·
0 Posts
Don't buy earbuds from Apple, they make electronics, not speakers. I'm amazed how many people use the awful stock earbuds that come with their ipod!
I don't listen while I ride, so don't own earbuds, only headphones. But I've heard the best about the Shure E-2 as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts