BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya basically asking if its' ok to ride in a HOV lane?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yes.
BCCOM made that happen.......there's an "add on," sign that says "motorcycles ok."
So ride in the HOV lane. (but check an earlier thread about changing lanes *into* the HOV lane):laughing

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
yep its ok, but aint gonna get you anywhere faster most of the days, as there will always be some prick in front of you going the speed the lanes to the right of him are moving.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
All HOV/Car/Vanpool lanes are Motorcycles OK unless it specifically says otherwise (so even if there's no "Motorcycles OK" sign, it's still legal).

All HOV/Vanpool/Bus Only lanes are closed to motorcycles unless it specifically says otherwise (so there *must* be a "Motorcycles OK" sign before you can ride there).

The giveaway is to look for the carpool symbol (car with two or three passengers in it). If you see that, motorcycles are OK.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
how 'bout the lane on the left of the HOV lane? Is it ok to ride in that lane...coz that's the lane I take.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Vili said:
yep its ok, but aint gonna get you anywhere faster most of the days, as there will always be some prick in front of you going the speed the lanes to the right of him are moving.

Or slower... :confused

·
Registered
155 Posts
slowzuki said:
how 'bout the lane on the left of the HOV lane? Is it ok to ride in that lane...coz that's the lane I take.
LOL, I would call that one the on-coming traffic lane. Fuck, you a brave man! :rockon

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
hmmm.....i dunno 'bout that willis...me thinks it's the left shoulder on the #1...

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
Spike said:
All HOV/Car/Vanpool lanes are Motorcycles OK unless it specifically says otherwise (so even if there's no "Motorcycles OK" sign, it's still legal).

All HOV/Vanpool/Bus Only lanes are closed to motorcycles unless it specifically says otherwise (so there *must* be a "Motorcycles OK" sign before you can ride there).

The giveaway is to look for the carpool symbol (car with two or three passengers in it). If you see that, motorcycles are OK.
Hold on, sooooo the HOV/bus lane on Georgia heading to the bridge is a no-go?
fffffffffffeck

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Unless it is also a carpool lane (2 or more, or 3 or more, in a car symbol) or says explicitly "motorcycles OK" somewhere, then it's a no-go.

·
n00b
704 Posts
See, I called the VW police about the bus/vanpool lane on lion's gate bridge, and 2 officers said motorcycles can use it. I was always under the impression that motorcyclists can use all HOV lanes with exception to designated bus lanes (therefore if there is a vanpool sign, all should be good).

But with this thread, I'm totally lost.

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
Volkswagen has a police force? Sweeeeeeeet

:D

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
michael said:
Yes.
BCCOM made that happen.......there's an "add on," sign that says "motorcycles ok."
So ride in the HOV lane. (but check an earlier thread about changing lanes *into* the HOV lane):laughing
BCCOM? Thank you BCCOM!!!!!!! Much appreciated!!

·
Pixel Hustler since '88
82 Posts
Spike said:
Wha?!? Damn I've been avoding that stretch of road on Willington in front of BCIT all this time fer nothin'... Weak, I should have paid more attention to the last thread about this... I'm going out ther right now to ride the crap out that lane out of spite...

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
My personal opinion is that the HOV lane should be renamed "HOV/Autobahn" lane, and that if you don't want to go at least 150 km/h, stay the fuck out. :D

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
SpideRider said:
My personal opinion is that the HOV lane should be renamed "HOV/Autobahn" lane, and that if you don't want to go at least 150 km/h, stay the fuck out. :D
Too bad that will never happen, too many retards out there.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
grandshervee said:
See, I called the VW police about the bus/vanpool lane on lion's gate bridge, and 2 officers said motorcycles can use it. I was always under the impression that motorcyclists can use all HOV lanes with exception to designated bus lanes (therefore if there is a vanpool sign, all should be good).
Since it's the WV police who will be policing it, you'd expect they would know. But others on this board have been ticketed for using that lane on their bike.

The problem with just calling the RCMP and asking is that there's a good chance that the person on the other end of the line will answer you with what he "thinks" is right, not what the MVA supports. So if you ask the RCMP for clarification like that, you should also ask for a citation from the regs where you can confirm it.

Personally, I keep a copy of the regs in my Palm organizer, and I have a memo that lists some common citations, just in case I ever get called on something like this. Oh, drat... I just checked my organizer, and for some reason i've lost the memo... There were about a dozen useful things in there, too. Guess i'll have to reconstruct it.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Spike said:
Unless it is also a carpool lane (2 or more, or 3 or more, in a car symbol) or says explicitly "motorcycles OK" somewhere, then it's a no-go.
There's two sets of rules, one for the Trans-Canada (highway 1) HOV lanes, and one for every other HOV lane out there. If you're on the Trans-Canada, you can always ride your bike in the HOV lane. Anywhere else, you can only ride there if there's a "Motorcycle OK" sign, or if you're not specifically prohibited by the HOV sign (Bus only, Vanpool only, etc. means no).

Ok, here's the regs:

High occupancy vehicle lane

152 If a laned roadway has a high occupancy vehicle lane, a person must not drive a motor vehicle or other device in that lane unless permitted by the regulations.

And the second part:

Division 42 — High Occupancy Vehicles
Definitions

42.01 In this Division:

"cycle" means cycle as defined in section 119 of the Act;

"freeway" means the Trans-Canada Highway #1, Highway #99 and Highway #17;

"handy dart vehicle" means a vehicle designed to transport persons with disabilities and operated by a person in the business of providing transportation services to the public;

"high occupancy vehicle lane" means a high occupancy vehicle lane as defined in section 119 of the Act;

"high occupancy vehicle" means

(a) a bus, or

(b) a vehicle under 5 500 Kg GVW that is carrying at least the minimum number of persons specified by the applicable traffic control device;

"marked vehicle" means a vehicle that is referred to in section 4.28 (1) as authorized to be equipped with lamps that are capable of displaying flashes of light but does not include vehicles referred to in sections 4.28 (4), (5) (b) and (d), (6), 4.29 or 4.30;

"officer" means a person who is an agent for traffic direction purposes of the ministry or of the municipality in which the person is directing traffic or who is a peace officer;

"traffic control device" means a traffic control device as defined in section 119 of the Act.

[en. B.C. Reg. 215/96; am. B.C. Reg. 257/2000, s. 1.]
Rules for use of high occupancy lanes

42.02 (1) A person must not stop or park a vehicle or cycle in a high occupancy vehicle lane on a highway other than a freeway except

(a) to comply with a traffic control device,

(b) to comply with the instructions given by an officer,

(c) the driver of a bus in a designated bus stop, or

(d) the driver of the following vehicles while attending to a disabled vehicle or an emergency:

(i) an emergency vehicle;

(ii) a marked vehicle.

(2) A driver of a vehicle that is not a high occupancy vehicle must not use a high occupancy vehicle lane on a highway other than a freeway except if necessary

(a) to make a right turn from the lane, at the first intersection where the turn is permitted, to access a highway intersecting the lane or premises adjacent to the lane,

(b) to make a right turn from an intersecting highway or premises adjacent to the lane, at the first intersection where the turn is permitted, to access the highway in which the lane is situated, or

(c) to merge into an adjacent vehicle lane for the purposes of paragraph (b).

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to

(a) the driver of a marked vehicle responding to a disabled vehicle or another emergency on the laned roadway where the high occupancy vehicle lane is located,

(b) the driver of an emergency vehicle,

(c) a peace officer on active duty, or

(d) an operator of a cycle, motor cycle, taxi or handy dart vehicle.

(4) Despite subsection (3) (d), subsection (2) applies to an operator of a cycle, motor cycle, taxi or handy dart vehicle if a traffic control device specifies that the operator is not to use the high occupancy vehicle lane except as specified in subsection (2).

[en. B.C. Reg. 215/96; am. B.C. Regs. 314/98, s. 1; 257/2000, s. 2.]
Rules for use of high occupancy lanes — Trans-Canada Highway

42.03 (1) A person must not stop or park a vehicle in a high occupancy vehicle lane on a freeway except

(a) to comply with a traffic control device,

(b) to comply with the instructions given by an officer, or

(c) the driver of the following vehicles while attending to a disabled vehicle or an emergency:

(i) an emergency vehicle;

(ii) a marked vehicle.

(2) A driver of a vehicle that is not a high occupancy vehicle must not use a high occupancy vehicle lane on a freeway.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to

(a) the driver of a marked vehicle responding to a disabled vehicle or another emergency on the freeway,

(b) the driver of an emergency vehicle,

(c) a peace officer on active duty, or

(d) an operator of a motor cycle, taxi or handy dart vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Just to resurrect this thread and add another vote to what others have said here previously, I contacted a VPD Traffic officer and his "interpretation" of the law (the sections cited earlier in this thread) was that motorcycles are allowed in Carpool lanes unless specifically excluded. This does NOT include Vanpool and Bus Only lanes. The lane approaching the south end of the Lion's Gate Bridge is a Carpool lane most of the way, but at the end it turns into a Bus Only lane.

I also called the W.Van police specifically about the Vanpool lanes on the north end of the Lion's Gate and they confirmed that motorcycles are not allowed in those lanes. Whether or not they enforce it is another matter, but the law is not on your side if you ride in those lanes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts