BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from the Vancouver Sun (who took it form the Calgary Herald)

Stick a fork in them; they're done! (Hopefully:devillook )

Top 10 Liberal blunders

Don Martin
Calgary Herald

Saturday, January 14, 2006

In the good ol' days before, um, right now, Canada's divine ruling party would walk to a win on the backs of self-destructing rivals. Be it Reform or renamed Canadian Alliance or re-emerged Conservatives, the main Liberal opponent could be counted on to botch winnable campaigns. Well, welcome to 2006 where it's the Liberals conducting a textbook campaign on how to lose power in 10 easy screwups. These are the worst missteps of Prime Minister Paul Martin's campaign to date, compiled with the help of several Liberal insiders suddenly polishing their resumes.

1. AdSlam

That the Liberals would hit the smear button hard, even with Paul Martin demanding intelligent campaign discourse, was no surprise with his government so seriously threatened. But to suggest armed Canadian soldiers would invade cities under Stephen Harper's command if there was a Conservative victory went way too far. Result: All 12 of the ads have been tainted and the last flicker of Liberal hope to demonize Harper has flamed out.

2. AdSlam Aftermath

Martin (Paul) won't apologize and shrugs off his Conservative military manoeuvre as more infomercial than attack ad. But Martin (Keith), a Liberal MP, apologizes for the ad and says only an "idiot" would approve of sending it out. Anne McLellan (deputy prime minister) says it was never approved by Martin (prime minister), who then admits he did approve the ad. Result: Confusion all 'round and questions about everybody's judgment.

3. Bunker blues

War rooms are overrated for impacting an election, but massaging the message is important and attacking the opposition is critical. So why has the Liberal war room been dead slow to react and consistently beaten to the punch by all three rival parties? Some Liberals fret the command post is populated with inexperienced soldiers and yes-people-types who don't challenge the oft-whacky edicts coming from the campaign plane. Result: Slow, unimaginative feeding of selective facts to the media.

4. Klander Clunker

Ontario Liberal executive Mike Klander quit after comparing NDP candidate Olivia Chow to a Chinese chow chow dog on his weblog under a caption: "Separated at Birth." "It was a play on words," an apologetic Klander insisted. How, then, to explain the play on words in calling New Democratic Party Leader Jack Layton an "A-hole" on the same site? Result: Liberal campaign staff appear racist and intolerant in their key electoral battleground.

5.'Pop' goes the campaign

When Martin communications boss Scott Reid, echoed by the most irritating Liberal on television today, strategist John Duffy, derided the Conservative child-care allowance as a beer and popcorn fund for the parents of pre-school children, it was the quip heard across Canada. It cast a slur on all parents and was particularly offensive to Liberal-loving immigrant families, who tend to embrace formal daycare alternatives and might prefer the Harper plan. Result: Reid disappears from sight, his boss denounces his spokesman and, not coincidentally, the Liberals start their dip in the polls.

6. See Paul Run

In a moment of rhetorical hyperbole, Paul Martin says he'd debate and defend Canada against Bloc Quebecois leader Gilles Duceppe "on every street corner, in every city and in every town and village in Quebec." Bring it on, brother, says Duceppe. Chicken Martin ducks the debate offer while Harper steps in with his dukes up. The result: Harper shines while Martin suffers a credibility meltdown in federalist Quebec.

7. What? Me? Resign?

News of an RCMP investigation into an alleged market-lifting leak of an income trust announcement hit the Liberals hard. When Finance Minister Ralph Goodale refused to step down after millions of investment dollars moved abruptly, inexplicably and profitably hours ahead of his statement, it tainted a Martin government which had vowed to set a new high in ethical purity. Result: The buck stops nowhere and the campaign has its turning point.

8. Escape Clause

There's little to no evidence Martin had ever considered repealing the notwithstanding clause in the Constitution until Monday's debate. That's when he closed his eyes and threw the long bomb, hoping the idea would catch on with some voters. It hasn't. Result: With no timeouts left and the clock ticking down, even Liberals are leaving the building.

9. Early policy leaks, late platform launch

Holding back Liberal policy until five weeks into the campaign was bad enough, but having the contents dribble out in advance was worse, particularly when bad luck ensured every initiative was overtaken by negative news breaking out on other Liberal fronts. To add insult to injury, the entire platform was leaked to a Calgary magazine which hates all things Liberal. Result: Media peeved at being scooped ignore what little policy was not overshadowed by new scandals.

10. Same team, different result

Martin stuck with his same old friends to guide this campaign, even though they ran his 2004 campaign with extreme mediocrity and only won when the Conservatives stumbled. They were counting on a Harper collapse to save them again. So far, he hasn't co-operated. (Probable) result: Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Calgary Herald

B

·
0 Posts
I don't know if any of you have seen the "UBC - Election Stock Market" which can be found at:

http://esm.ubc.ca/index.php

It's only $25 minimum buyin - you lose or make a couple of bucks ... it really adds a different perspective on the ads, plunders etc. Consider buying $1 bundles (you get 1 of each share for $1).

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Man am I gonna love sticking it to you Flo when the Liberals get re-elected.
All this work on this political power house website for not.

·
Funbuster
153 Posts
Good article Flo-man!
I think Kuldip is going to have to develop a taste for crow.:rockon

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
So we can start new blunders.

Liberal women unite to denounce Harper on abortion
Last Updated Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:17:42 EDT
CBC News
OTTAWA - Current and former Liberal activists for women's rights are mobilizing against Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, claiming he poses a threat to their cause.

Minister of State (Public Health) Carolyn Bennett, joined former Liberal female cabinet ministers Tuesday to denounce Harper over his stance on abortion and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Carolyn Bennett
Harper has repeatedly said he would not introduce abortion legislation or hold a referendum on the issue. But critics are upset that he would allow a free vote on the issue in the House of Commons.

"I think that a woman's right to choose in many many ways, the woman's ability to make decisions on her own body is a hard-fought battle," Bennett said. "We do not want to fight that again."

Judy Erola, who held the status of women cabinet portfolio under Pierre Trudeau, said she is troubled that Harper has not ruled out using the notwithstanding clause to override Charter rights.

"We are now talking about using the notwithstanding clause, talking about changing the Charter," Erola said.

"It can't be done. It would just unravel everything that we have gained."

Former Health Minister Monique Begin said she's also concerned about the agenda of the new Conservative Party.

"This is a party we do not really know exactly what it's made of and I find that extremely scary," he said.

The women are also concerned about a comment made by Tory MP Cheryl Gallant at a recent pro-life rally on Parliament Hill attended by some Liberal MPs.

At the rally several weeks ago, Gallant compared abortion to the beheading of American Nicolas Berg by insurgents in Iraq.

"We saw that young American having his head cut off. What's happening, what is happening down there no different," she said.

Harper dismissed Gallant's comment Monday as pro-life rhetoric. "I don't think it's particularly effective."

But Liberal Leader Paul Martin said Gallant's statement was "abhorrent" and Harper should have immediately spoken out against his MP.

"Mr. Harper saw no need to basically single that statement out, one that is absolutely unacceptable."

Gallant's comments at the rally were quoted in The Western Catholic Reporter, a magazine that also contained an article by Liberal MP Paul Steckle, co-chair of the all-party Parliamentary Pro-Life Caucus.

Bishop Fred Henry (file)
Steckle, who also attended the rally, said that without the abortions performed over the last 35 years, Canada would have 3.5 million more people.

"So let's not go on killing those children who can become our future," he was quoted as saying.

Bishop chastises Martin

Martin received harsh words Tuesday from Calgary's Roman Catholic bishop who called the liberal leader's political stand on abortion and same-sex marriage as morally incoherent and a "source of scandal in the Catholic community.

In an open letter to his city's parishes, Bishop Fred Henry states that under God, "There is no right to have an abortion. . . . Nor is there a right of couples in same sex unions to marry. One cannot invent a meaning of sexuality to suit one's own wishes or tastes."

Last year Henry said former Prime Minister Jean Chrétien's eternal salvation was in jeopardy for drafting the same-sex marriage bill.

A spokesperson for Martin replied to Henry's comments saying Martin takes his faith seriously but those beliefs are separate from his political duties.

Canada has been without an abortion law since 1988, when the Supreme Court struck it down because it infringed upon a woman's right to "life, liberty and security of person" and violated the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/election/national/2004/06/08/elexnlib040608.html

Harper draws the line ... to obscurity
Fearmongering, bigotry & coercive attacks on rights
http://www.samesexmarriage.ca/advocacy/har210105.htm

CUPE demands Stephen Harper apologize for homophobic remarks
http://cupe.ca/www/EqualityPride/4192

Abortion issue takes centre stage in campaign
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/mini/CTVNews/1086709841056_82119041?s_name=election2004&no_ads=

B

·
0 Posts
kuldip said:
So we can start new blunders.

Liberal women unite to denounce Harper on abortion
Last Updated Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:17:42 EDT
CBC News
OTTAWA - Current and former Liberal activists for women's rights are mobilizing against Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, claiming he poses a threat to their cause.

Minister of State (Public Health) Carolyn Bennett, joined former Liberal female cabinet ministers Tuesday to denounce Harper over his stance on abortion and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Carolyn Bennett
Harper has repeatedly said he would not introduce abortion legislation or hold a referendum on the issue. But critics are upset that he would allow a free vote on the issue in the House of Commons.

"I think that a woman's right to choose in many many ways, the woman's ability to make decisions on her own body is a hard-fought battle," Bennett said. "We do not want to fight that again."

Judy Erola, who held the status of women cabinet portfolio under Pierre Trudeau, said she is troubled that Harper has not ruled out using the notwithstanding clause to override Charter rights.

"We are now talking about using the notwithstanding clause, talking about changing the Charter," Erola said.

"It can't be done. It would just unravel everything that we have gained."

Former Health Minister Monique Begin said she's also concerned about the agenda of the new Conservative Party.

"This is a party we do not really know exactly what it's made of and I find that extremely scary," he said.

The women are also concerned about a comment made by Tory MP Cheryl Gallant at a recent pro-life rally on Parliament Hill attended by some Liberal MPs.

At the rally several weeks ago, Gallant compared abortion to the beheading of American Nicolas Berg by insurgents in Iraq.

"We saw that young American having his head cut off. What's happening, what is happening down there no different," she said.

Harper dismissed Gallant's comment Monday as pro-life rhetoric. "I don't think it's particularly effective."

But Liberal Leader Paul Martin said Gallant's statement was "abhorrent" and Harper should have immediately spoken out against his MP.

"Mr. Harper saw no need to basically single that statement out, one that is absolutely unacceptable."

Gallant's comments at the rally were quoted in The Western Catholic Reporter, a magazine that also contained an article by Liberal MP Paul Steckle, co-chair of the all-party Parliamentary Pro-Life Caucus.

Bishop Fred Henry (file)
Steckle, who also attended the rally, said that without the abortions performed over the last 35 years, Canada would have 3.5 million more people.

"So let's not go on killing those children who can become our future," he was quoted as saying.

Bishop chastises Martin

Martin received harsh words Tuesday from Calgary's Roman Catholic bishop who called the liberal leader's political stand on abortion and same-sex marriage as morally incoherent and a "source of scandal in the Catholic community.

In an open letter to his city's parishes, Bishop Fred Henry states that under God, "There is no right to have an abortion. . . . Nor is there a right of couples in same sex unions to marry. One cannot invent a meaning of sexuality to suit one's own wishes or tastes."

Last year Henry said former Prime Minister Jean Chrétien's eternal salvation was in jeopardy for drafting the same-sex marriage bill.

A spokesperson for Martin replied to Henry's comments saying Martin takes his faith seriously but those beliefs are separate from his political duties.

Canada has been without an abortion law since 1988, when the Supreme Court struck it down because it infringed upon a woman's right to "life, liberty and security of person" and violated the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/election/national/2004/06/08/elexnlib040608.html

Harper draws the line ... to obscurity
Fearmongering, bigotry & coercive attacks on rights
http://www.samesexmarriage.ca/advocacy/har210105.htm

CUPE demands Stephen Harper apologize for homophobic remarks
http://cupe.ca/www/EqualityPride/4192

Abortion issue takes centre stage in campaign
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/mini/CTVNews/1086709841056_82119041?s_name=election2004&no_ads=
I guess with all that the Libs are a sure in with a majority. No crow for you this year.

S

·
0 Posts
blablablablabaloalbalbaolbalablblablablabalbalbalba
do you really think posting up liberal hate on a sportbike forum is your best course of action? grow a set and do something actually constructive if you care so much.

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ssblade said:
blablablablabaloalbalbaolbalablblablablabalbalbalba
do you really think posting up liberal hate on a sportbike forum is your best course of action? grow a set and do something actually constructive if you care so much.

Yes I do, but the fact is I am not only posting on this site. I am a member of many other sites and I am spreading the message on all of them. It makes people think. I do have "a set" and I am doing something constructive.

What are you doing besides monitoring my activities and telling me what I should and shouldn't do? Anything? I didn't think so.

Here's a joke that you can relate to:

A man enters a bar and orders a drink. The bar has a robot bartender.
The robot serves him a perfectly prepared cocktail, and then asks him, "What's your IQ?"

The man replies "150" and the robot proceeds to make conversation about

global warming factors, quantum physics and spirituality, biomimicry, environmental interconnectedness, string theory, nano-technology, and sexual proclivities.

The customer is very impressed and thinks, "This is really cool." He goes and comes back in for another drink. Again, the robot serves him the perfectly prepared drink and asks him, "What's your IQ?"

The man responds, "about 100." Immediately the robo t starts talking,

but this time, about football, NASCAR, baseball, supermodels, favorite fast foods, guns, and women's breasts.

Really impressed, the man leaves the bar and decides to give the robot one more test. He heads out and returns; the robot serves him and asks, "What's your IQ?"

The man replies, "Er, 50, I think."

And the robot says... real slowly... "So............... ya gonna vote for the Liberals again?"

Hahahahahhaha.....

Ok, come down! Calm yourself, it's just a joke. Stop swearing and spitting at your monitor. It's not helping your cause.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
kuldip said:
Man, it must suck to be the people that have to spend time with you in real life.
Whether or not one has chosen to drink the CPC Kool-Aid, Harper deserves credit for his ability to muzzle the candidates on the fringe of the party--the ones most likely to produce the "scary" soundbites. How long that can last is anybody's guess. During this campaign, the CPC has presented itself as being fairly middle-of-the-road (they're a long ways from Shrub's Republicans, for instance), but I think people do have legitimate concerns about the religious right's influence on the party's direction should they obtain a majority.

BTW, trying to insult FloMan doesn't do much for your credibility, Kuldip.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
kuldip said:
Man am I gonna love sticking it to you Flo when the Liberals get re-elected.
All this work on this political power house website for not.

Words can come back to haunt. Let's see in a couple weeks if you were right.

PS - the word is naught.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
GSP said:
BTW, trying to insult FloMan doesn't do much for your credibility, Kuldip.
Thanks for the heads up GSP, next time I run for office I'll be sure your my public relations/credibility officer.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
kuldip said:
Thanks for the heads up GSP, next time I run for office I'll be sure your my public relations/credibility officer.
If you pay mileage and I can ride my bike, no problem.

·
shameless poser
1,118 Posts
FloDude, keep it comin'! After putting up with Chretien and Martin for so long I can't get enough of it. Perhaps the whiners would prefer a Liberal-bashing forum? :p

And three cheers for Kuldip for bumping your posts to the top so I don't miss them ... Pip, pip, hooray!!!

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ssblade said:
you'll get more votes with honey than with vinegar floman.
LOL...I am not running in this election so I hope you're not voting for me.
Besides, I though I've been pretty civilized about the whole thing. I've even put some people on my ignore list so that conflict can be avoided.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
:D I have one standard reply for each thread supporting the [fill in the blank] party anchored to an article from [place name of media outlet here]. It goes like this:

:cool

It's a fine piece of writing, likely from someone who has the same sharp skills for public speaking. As for content, one could switch the names of the players and the incidents cited and replace them with names of players and previous incidents cited ... 10, 20 or 40 years ago. Yet, despite the coverage of each, each in its own time, the dissections & manipulations playing to the sentiments of the populace of each era... the voter's quest remains simple and unchanged: Vote for the candidate in your riding who best represents & reflects you and your interests.

:rolleyes I've always been leery of statements, representations & promises made in national media campaigns via mass-media funded by big money directed by spin-doctors. Likewise have I great disdain for the handy by-product of the political machine: ideological pablum that weaves its way to us via emails and web-sites in the form of posts championing this or that.

Really, having a direct, qualitative conversation one-on-one with a prospective MP in your own riding... priceless. ;)

:drinkbeer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts