·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this email from BCCOM:

BCCOM UPDATE, NOVEMBER 13TH, 2013

Snow Tires:

Just a quick recap from the last BCCOM Update:

BCCOM has received a number of e-mails about some RCMP officers that have been enforcing BC's snow tire law to the limit. The law states that all motor vehicles must be equipped with either snow tires or chains to drive on most of BC’s highways from Oct. 1st – April 30th. Which is now, being applied to motorcycles without regard to actual weather or road conditions. This effectively bans the use of motorcycles in BC during that period (58% of the year)

BCCOM would now, like ask its members to please take the time to write the Ministry of Transportation about this on going issue. Below is the Minister of Transpiration and Infrastructures e-mail.

[email protected] - please also CC BCCOM in your e-mail so that we can keep a record of just how many e-mails are sent regarding this issue.

I have drafted an email to Todd Stone. I don't want to send it until I see a bit more feedback.

I guess my Pickup truck is Illegal as well - who knew!!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Winter Tires

Where are winter tires and chains required on BC highways?

There are Regulatory Signs (R047) posted in various locations on numbered highways throughout the province.

The R-047 Regulatory sign “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“ when placed upon a highway will prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with winter tires or chains beyond that point when enforced by the police, ministry or other enforcement officials.

R-047

R-047 Sign

W-041

W-041 Sign

The W-041 Warning sign when placed upon a highway is to inform motorists that winter driving conditions can be expected on provincial highways from Oct 1st -Apr 30th. Therefore, motorist should be properly equipped with appropriate winter safety equipment between Oct 1st – April 30th, and may be prevented from proceeding on highways which have R-047 regulatory signs “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“ placed upon the highway.

So it sounds like pretty much don't go on mountain passes, but LMD/city type stuff is likely ok.

·
Vanillla Gorilla
725 Posts
Having driven the Coq many times, I have seen a number of bikes on there in March and April. People think it is just fine to go up a mountain pass and don't think for one minute that there could still be snow up there. I have even seen people in jeans and sneakers in March riding through snow at 15Km/h when there is a single lane open. I can't count the number of bikes I have seen crashed and or on the back of a tow truck at this time of year. I can kinda understand why they would enforce such a law. Snow and bikes generally do not go well together, most people in this city can't even drive their 4X4 in two inches of snow let alone a motorcycle.

Having said that I would think this only refers to the stretches of road where such signs as EdmondsBatt has pointed out are placed. “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“

An easy option if you really want to ride those roads at that time of year is to just get some chains, they do make them for bikes I believe.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
The RCMP and the province are already having a purse fight over what tires are approved.

Is it a MS tire that's OK (Minister says yes); or must it have a snowflake (RCMP says must have).

Just another shitty, badly worded, not thought through all the way piece of legislation via the political party that everyone who's SMRT on here loves (because you know the other guys smoke crack or something).

As for a motorcycle needing snow tires; that has now reached the height of hilarity.

·
And shepherds we shall be
2,941 Posts
I don't believe the VPD traffic division puts the bikes away in the winter (and they don't have winter tires or chains, just in case someone wondered).

Where is this being enforced? Everywhere (LMD) or where the signs are in force?

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
I don't believe the VPD traffic division puts the bikes away in the winter (and they don't have winter tires or chains, just in case someone wondered).

Where is this being enforced? Everywhere (LMD) or where the signs are in force?
I guess you didn't do 5 minutes of research or read the rest of the posts in this thread. There are specific highways with this requirement, and there is signage everywhere. This isn't a blanket rule across every road in the province.

·
And shepherds we shall be
2,941 Posts
I guess you didn't do 5 minutes of research or read the rest of the posts in this thread. There are specific highways with this requirement, and there is signage everywhere. This isn't a blanket rule across every road in the province.
You know FF, we could probably get along IRL, but you really come across as a douche on here.

I do believe the question still stands: Where exactly is this being enforced? Where were tickets issued?

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I directly quoted the email from BCCOM.
Is this part right.."..The law states that all motor vehicles must be equipped with either snow tires or chains to drive on most of BC’s highways from Oct. 1st – April 30th.."
"Most" BC highways. What does that mean? "Nearly all" is a dictionary definition.

Given events of the last couple of years resulting from Bill C14 and the helmet laws, I think it more than possible that overzealous LEO's could be applying this to motorcycles.

Hopefully BCCOM can chime in for some more detail/clarifications.

·
Registered Luser
2,112 Posts
The RCMP and the province are already having a purse fight over what tires are approved.

Is it a MS tire that's OK (Minister says yes); or must it have a snowflake (RCMP says must have).

Just another shitty, badly worded, not thought through all the way piece of legislation via the political party that everyone who's SMRT on here loves (because you know the other guys smoke crack or something).

As for a motorcycle needing snow tires; that has now reached the height of hilarity.
that's really interesting. almost got busted one year in the truck so I tried to do some research. could find ZERO definitive info online, so I called the squamish RCMP, and they said M+S designation was what you needed. Asked specifically about the snowflake, and they said no, M+S is ok.

I have resorted to throwing a random set of chains in the vehicle for the rare time i'm challenged.
I have never seen them actually checking vehicles exiting the chain up area.

and ur right, more fucked up legislation to enhance the bureaucracy and something about petty tyranny something something.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,197 Posts
Where exactly is this being enforced? Where were tickets issued?
I haven't seen it this year, yet but in past winters the RCMP have set up camp in close proximity of the “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“ signs and systematically stopping every vehicle and ticketing offenders. I have only seen it 4x and it was during horrible storms.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
This probably hasn't seen much airplay in the LMD but on Oct. 1 in the interior the road blocks went up and the ticket writing began.

Sunny, dry, and 15c on Oct 1 out here by the way.

·
Unregistered User
1,601 Posts
1 - 20 of 150 Posts