BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
From the BC CVI side of things the RCMP are pushing the snowflake button because they have no clear recourse when Captain Stupidhead drives his Honda Pilot off the Coq into a ditch. Motorcyclists are unfortunately being caught in the crossfire.

·
Registered
904 Posts
To me this seems like a case of hey something needs to be done !!!! lets do something without thinking !!!! or you could calmly and properly enforce current laws that say must have winter tires or chains on winter roads....it would be cheap to because the signs are already there LOL

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't doubt the law, but I do doubt any RCMP have been enforcing it on motorcycles.
Oct 6, 9 riders left Kamloops headed to Merritt. 20 degrees out and a bluebird day, awesome day for a ride. They got stopped by the RCMP just before the Lac Le Jeune turnoff. They were told to either show the snowflake emblem on their tires or turn around and go back to kamloops. If the refused they were told they would all be fined the maximum allowable. So, yes, they have enforced it.

·
23,537 Posts
Oct 6, 9 riders left Kamloops headed to Merritt. 20 degrees out and a bluebird day, awesome day for a ride. They got stopped by the RCMP just before the Lac Le Jeune turnoff. They were told to either show the snowflake emblem on their tires or turn around and go back to kamloops. If the refused they were told they would all be fined the maximum allowable. So, yes, they have enforced it.
The law does not state anything about snowflakes on tires, appears that 10+ people didn't know that.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
not to derail the thread (well, maybe just a bit) but on a "bluebird day, awesome day for a ride", why would a motorcyclist ride to Merritt from Kamloops on the Coq when 5A provides one of the finest motorcycle routes in the province, and at a much lower altitude too?

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
This is the RCMP's take on winter tires. Must have the snowflake. When they do put a spokesman up on the news to state this their demeanor is what I would call "inflexible".

http://cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=87&languageId=1&contentId=27525

As has been said the car dealers sent in over $100K to the libs. You can't spend like that without getting something sent back your way. The dealerships out here are showing prominent signs about their "special winter safety packages".

It's just good business to expect a return on an investment

·
23,537 Posts
This is the RCMP's take on winter tires. Must have the snowflake.
There's actually no reason to "have a take" as the law is somewhat clear as written, to me anyway.

Now, perhaps all tires that meet this criteria already have a "snowflake" by default?? For the sake of
argument, and in the context of this thread, on a motorcycle forum, I would guess that any of the dual
sport tires that may meet the basic criteria, do not have any snowflakes on them.Now what, court time?

Hey, I'm all about common sense, so anyone riding a bike, like a sportbike for instance, in the snow, is already
in need of a check-up from the neck-up, and deserves to be removed from the road. But, if the example above,
where a bunch of guys are out on a sunny dry day, which just happens to me after a determined date on the
calendar, and a specified road, then one would hope discretion and common sense are exercised....maybe not.

·
23,537 Posts
Maybe some enterprising mind could get into the business of selling a "snowflake stamp", sorta like the DOT stickers.

If the law is being enforced in such a way where common sense is completely overruled by process and text verbatim,
there may be an opportunity here.....hmmmm?? Here's the template.....you're welcome:

·
Registered Luser
2,112 Posts
This is the RCMP's take on winter tires. Must have the snowflake. When they do put a spokesman up on the news to state this their demeanor is what I would call "inflexible".

http://cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=87&languageId=1&contentId=27525

As has been said the car dealers sent in over $100K to the libs. You can't spend like that without getting something sent back your way. The dealerships out here are showing prominent signs about their "special winter safety packages".

It's just good business to expect a return on an investment
Motor Vehicle Act
Section 208 (1) For the purpose of this section, "winter tire" means a tire that is:
(a) advertised or represented by its manufacturer or a person in the business of selling tires to be a tire intended principally for winter use, and that provides, or is designed to provide, adequate traction in snow or mud; and
so we just need a tire salesman to bless all of our tires for snow use. ( holy water sprinkler and incense optional )?

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
There must be a long ass list of shit to complain about that's more important than this.
one can only hope, its only mid November, long way to go in this cabin fever :coffee

What about flakes enforcing laws? :court
lmao... :lolup

real question is, what kinda of flake rides the Coquihalla on a sport-bike mid-winter! :hangman

·
Registered
240 Posts
not to derail the thread (well, maybe just a bit) but on a "bluebird day, awesome day for a ride", why would a motorcyclist ride to Merritt from Kamloops on the Coq when 5A provides one of the finest motorcycle routes in the province, and at a much lower altitude too?
All I can say is they all ride HD, I wasn't part of the group!!

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
There's actually no reason to "have a take" as the law is somewhat clear as written, to me anyway.

Now, perhaps all tires that meet this criteria already have a "snowflake" by default?? For the sake of
argument, and in the context of this thread, on a motorcycle forum, I would guess that any of the dual
sport tires that may meet the basic criteria, do not have any snowflakes on them.Now what, court time?

Hey, I'm all about common sense, so anyone riding a bike, like a sportbike for instance, in the snow, is already
in need of a check-up from the neck-up, and deserves to be removed from the road. But, if the example above,
where a bunch of guys are out on a sunny dry day, which just happens to me after a determined date on the
calendar, and a specified road, then one would hope discretion and common sense are exercised....maybe not.

Like I said, it's probably not been on your nightly news report down here; back to back of the Minister stating MS is approved and The RCMP spokesman flat out contradicting him to say only the snowflake will do and pretty well saying in a delivery that if used on here would earn the title condescending cuntscikle, you know the vibe "this guy's an idiot, how'd he get elected"? vibes. Verging on unprofessional to be polite.

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
I remember in 2010 I did several runs to Jordan River/Renfrew loop over the winter. The first one was on January 23rd, it was 13 degrees. Arrest me now.

·
"Missing a few pieces!'
549 Posts
My Heidenau K60 Scouts have M/S right on them.
No snowflake but M&S.
I suppose I'd probably be okay if they didn't hold onto the flake requirement.

·
23,537 Posts
21 - 40 of 150 Posts