F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to insure my bike in this week
I heard some people don't pay the Comprehensive
then it will save alot of $$$
Therefore, I am wondering how many people don't pay the Comprehensive
and any suggestion for the how much collision deductible i should put?
and my bike is 2003 R6
What is the declared value I should put?
last year I put $8G
Thanks

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
if you can afford to lose 8grand, then don't put comprehensive. theft of bikes like yours is crazy.:2cents

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you have a loan on the bike, full coverage is mandatory.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
comprehensive covers you for fire, theft, vandalism, falling objects.....if you're sure none of those will happen to you, save the premium.
(I wouldn't. I grit my teeth and pay for collision and comp)
Hey its distasteful to pay big bucks for insurance, but it tastes sweeter than losing your bike to some miscreant, and not having the coverage.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am dumbfounded how you can pay $3000+ a year for collision and theft on your bike. Dump your bike, get $2000 worth of cosmetic damage. And if you choose to go through ICBC pay $8000 over the course of 7 years in premiums? Yea, Yea, fuck you ICBC. Legalized theft is what it is.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
If you save the money you would have otherwise spent on Comprehensive insurance, and take the time to protect your bike when it's parked, you could afford to upgrade your bike once every few years instead. There's a lot of money there.

You can also choose to ride a less popular bike for thieves. I didn't lock my nighthawk up at all for the first 2 years I owned it. It was only after reading about all of the thefts on here that I started to get paranoid... :) Now with the VFR it's locked up all the time but i'm not really worried about it going missing.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you've got a garage and are really safe and you use locks, don't get comp
if you live in a shared house with no garage and crackwhores on the corner..yeah..get comp

its all up to your situation. For my current bike..comp for one year is almost the value of my bike..do i get it? hell no :p

·
???????
908 Posts
I'd rather go without Collision then Comp as it's more likely someone will hit you. But on the other hand, with ICBC's stupid rules, who knows you may still be at fault.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
You can get specified perils instead of comprehensive, which covers theft and fire, but no vandalism, glass, or other things.

Quite a bit cheaper.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
I am dumbfounded how you can pay $3000+ a year for collision and theft on your bike. Dump your bike, get $2000 worth of cosmetic damage. And if you choose to go through ICBC pay $8000 over the course of 7 years in premiums? Yea, Yea, fuck you ICBC. Legalized theft is what it is.
I love the way everybody and his dog rags on ICBC, you youngsters have no fricken idea how good you have it with ICBC.

Yeah, there will always be examples of how the other guy in bumfuck Sask has it cheaper, but for you in the lower mainland, with the theft and accident rates what they are, have it good.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
silverD said:
I love the way everybody and his dog rags on ICBC, you youngsters have no fricken idea how good you have it with ICBC.

Yeah, there will always be examples of how the other guy in bumfuck Sask has it cheaper, but for you in the lower mainland, with the theft and accident rates what they are, have it good.

is that me? :) I"m in Ottawa and pay $670 a year for full coverage on my 05 R6. Sadly, when I move out there soon, I won't have it so good.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
I like the idea that what you save in comp over the course of 3 or 4 years means you can probably upgrade your bike anyways with the money you saved. If you paid that money anyways and your bike didnt get stolen when you upgrade in 4 years, well icbc got your money instead haha. Put your money in the bank.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
atomic said:
is that me? :) I"m in Ottawa and pay $670 a year for full coverage on my 05 R6. Sadly, when I move out there soon, I won't have it so good.
The flip side of that is, the guy that has a few accidents and can not buy insurance at any cost... Here ICBC must provide you with insurance, no matter how bad your record is, the price just goes up, but we all subsidize the bad/unlucky ones to an extent.

An example of how why rates are higher here...

Was going through Main and Hastings area yesterday, locals will know where I mean, you'll find out.

Stopped at a light, crackhead dude comes up to me and starts asking what my bike is worth, meanwhile his buddy comes up the other side and tries to snatch off one of my hardbags.... it didn't come off and I fucked off... Had he been succesfull, there would have been an insurance claim, and every claim is going to affect rates in some way... that ever happen to you in Ottawa?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH!!!
very quickly to get all the helpful responds
Thanks alot guys
I finally paid my insurance for my bike
I paid the Comprehensive after heard u guys reply
bcoz i dun want to take the risk of losing my bike
Thanks!!!
PEACE!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no no, we have a thing called facility insurance for people like that since insurance is mandatory here like it is there. It's not cheap. I think it's somewhere around $4 or $5 K for a year for car. I'm sure it's a bit higher for bikes. I do know a few guys here who aren't so lucky and pay close to what ICBC rates are for someone with a clean record. I was a little shocked to find out that I'll expect to pay 3 times for my insurance on the same bike once I'm out there. But what can you do except bend over and take it. :( I can't be without a bike.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
You're likely dumfounded because you describe a situation where you "dump your bike" and talk about cosmetic damage.
"dumping your bike," is a *collision* claim, not a comprehensive claim, and like most things, a motorist has a choice whether or not he/she wants to make a claim, and thus, suffer the indignity of insurance premium increases.
if the insurance company doesn't pay any money, there are no insurance increases.
So dump your bike all you want,
1/ it's not a comprehensive claim.
2/ you can decide if you want to repair it or not, or your nickel.
3/ each individual's premiums are based on their own claims history. For example, you quoted an $8000 bill over 7 years. Personal experience?
I'm so ancient, and have such a fresh claim history, I could dump my bike twice, and still have no premium increases of any consquence.
4/ While you are entitled to your opinion, and that's what this forum is for, i believe your grapes are sour, and don't represent the majority of riders/motorists.
I've acknowledged your $.02, there's mine.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
atomic said:
no no, we have a thing called facility insurance for people like that since insurance is mandatory here like it is there. It's not cheap. I think it's somewhere around $4 or $5 K for a year for car. I'm sure it's a bit higher for bikes. I do know a few guys here who aren't so lucky and pay close to what ICBC rates are for someone with a clean record. I was a little shocked to find out that I'll expect to pay 3 times for my insurance on the same bike once I'm out there. But what can you do except bend over and take it. :( I can't be without a bike.
I've never lived there, but I did recall hearing about some who could not purchase insurance, however I could quite possibly have it mixed up with the States, I'll claim a senior moment. But theft and accidents do make it higher in the Vancouver area for sure, once you are out in the sticks, even in BC the cost is not so bad, where you live makes a big difference.

atomic said:
I was a little shocked to find out that I'll expect to pay 3 times for my insurance on the same bike once I'm out there. But what can you do except bend over and take it. :( I can't be without a bike.
That's the attitude, welcome to BC....
Where do you plan on living?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
is that me? I"m in Ottawa and pay $670 a year for full coverage on my 05 R6
That's *very* economical compared to rates here, however, as quoted prior, it's like saying "I pay $70 a week for groceries."
Please define "full coverage."
what is the maximum payable by the insurer for PIP
what is the third party liability limit?
what is the collision deductible?
what is the comprehensive (or "all perils") deductible?
what is the declared value of your motorcycle.
Now if we had the answers to all of those questions, we could determine exactly how much more economical your insurance is, and if we're comparing "apples to apples."
my apologies for the corny cliche.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
silverD said:
Was going through Main and Hastings area yesterday, locals will know where I mean, you'll find out.

Stopped at a light, crackhead dude comes up to me and starts asking what my bike is worth, meanwhile his buddy comes up the other side and tries to snatch off one of my hardbags.... it didn't come off and I fucked off... Had he been succesfull, there would have been an insurance claim, and every claim is going to affect rates in some way... that ever happen to you in Ottawa?

I love crackheads. I would have like to see them pull one off of my ST.

...sigh...remembering the good old days when you could pay a squeegy kid a dollar not to wash your window with his bucket of piss.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
michael said:
That's *very* economical compared to rates here, however, as quoted prior, it's like saying "I pay $70 a week for groceries."
Please define "full coverage."

what is the maximum payable by the insurer for PIP
I'm not sure what this means?

what is the third party liability limit?
$1 Mil

what is the collision deductible?
$1000

what is the comprehensive (or "all perils") deductible?
$1000

what is the declared value of your motorcycle.
It doesn't matter here. They cover the book value. They don't ask how much it's worth.

Now if we had the answers to all of those questions, we could determine exactly how much more economical your insurance is, and if we're comparing "apples to apples."
my apologies for the corny cliche.
There. I answered, but I'm not sure what PIP is. Oh yeah, and I'm 30 and have my level 2 learner's motorcycle liscence, but have had a full car liscence for 13 years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts