BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I'm a motorcyclaholic
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be late on posting this (I checked for a similar thread) but here goes anyway.

2006.10.06:: In a move which has outraged safety groups, Italy has raised speed limits in a radical bid to lower the annual 6,410 death toll on its highways.

Transport Minister Pietro Lunardi said it means a 93mph limit on motorways, and came about because research showed speed was only a factor in nine per cent of accidents. He added: "All psychologists and doctors say people who go faster drive better and are more careful."

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
This debate could be interesting. I'm for raising the limits, but i would not have expected something as high as 150kph. For most peoples skills / vehicle maintenance, i'd say that's way too high ...

·
Registered
271 Posts
yea it's all good..... and they should make licenses given the speed limits to priviledged licenses.... so drivers/riders who are physical and mentally capable of driving fast, and the vehicles in which they drive are allowed only

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
Do you have a link to this?

Also, When I was there 3 yrs ago, in the far left lane (fastest) you could go as fast as 170 without being ticketed. That was 20-30 km over the limit. If you went 171, then you would be ticketed.
Legal speed limit on most of the Italian highways is 130km/h.

I'd be all for raising the speed limit, but let's face it, most of the Canadian highways don't compare with European quality. We'd have to do something about that first.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i was surprised..... when i got here..... i ask my friend what road we were on..... they told me highway..... but then i was like... isn't it just a normal road with no traffic lights?

back home.... highways are like.... kinda like bridges above the road.... more than 2 lanes, yea u get the idea

·
Registered
452 Posts
Nothing beats the safety, speed and effectivenness of european freeways.

When you see, like I did last Summer on autobahn close to Bremen, flashing sign to reduce your speed to no more then 200 km/hr it really makes you realize how different world we live in here.

Why the Big Government wants to regulate all aspects of our life without any justification but neglects such desperately needed proper driver's education requirements?

Is the answer so simple that it is all about revenue money: billions of dollars from speeding tickets?

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
Well the annual death toll the following years will prove/disprove the theory I guess. . .
The theory has already been proven in Germany - they have a lower mortality rate due to traffic accidents than USA, and of course, Canada. But then again, it is backed up by a successful driver education system.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
The theory has already been proven in Germany - they have a lower mortality rate due to traffic accidents than USA, and of course, Canada. But then again, it is backed up by a successful driver education system.
I grew up in Germany, the autobahn would be a savior out here.

·
Ride Solo
4,219 Posts
I don't think Hwy 1 could support those speeds unless there were more lanes to thin out the traffic and the on/off ramps were redesigned in several places.

At least I got to ride in Montana during the "reasonable and prudent" era in the late '90's.

·
I'm a motorcyclaholic
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think Hwy 1 could support those speeds unless there were more lanes to thin out the traffic and the on/off ramps were redesigned in several places.
Hey hey...

It's been a very long time since I was over there but if my memory serves me right, our highways are no different than most sections of the autobaun (well around Bremen anyway). Like, I just don't seem to recall that the highways were any bigger, wider or better built for speed than our hwy #1 not to mention the Coquilhalla speedway but then again, at 250kph one does tend to get tunnel vision!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've actually been in Italy and in many places in Europe, and their highways can safely support 150kph. People there usually go 200+
So I am not surprised for that. Highway #1 is not that safe for 150kph here in BC but there are some better parts of this highway in Ontario and Quebec. I've driven across Canada several times.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hwy #1 is in alot of sections capable of speeds around 160kmph, the problem is that we have alot of people who cannot drive at those speeds, and police who do not enforce the keep right. You could take german drivers and place them over here on our freeways and they would have less accidents than we do as they respect faster traffic.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I'm cautiously optimistic that this will work. It will be very interesting to see next year's stats, and then the five-year trend if the new law continues to be in existence.

G

·
the main difference between the euro roads and the north america roads is the thickness....our roads are way to thin, thats why they buckle and crack and are rough,, the roads in germany on the autobahn for intsance in most places are 1 meter thick

·
What's the speed of dark?
163 Posts
Texas just raised its speed lmit as well to 80mph.
All research shows that it's better to have traffic flowing where most vehicles are travelling at a similar pace. It's the big differentiation between the knobs that stick to the low speed limit (research suggests less than 15% of the total vehicles actually go this slow) and the rest of us who cruise at a reasonable rate that happens to be a few clicks over...

I'll bet both Italy and Texas realize a lower accident rate, and thus less fatalities and injuries.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
the main difference between the euro roads and the north america roads is the thickness....our roads are way to thin, thats why they buckle and crack and are rough,, the roads in germany on the autobahn for intsance in most places are 1 meter thick
Wow, are you serious? That's a lot of pavement. I've never noticed exactly how thick the pavement is here, but I imagine it more around 6" or so???

I think it's fine to say that going with the flow will reduce accidents, but increasing the limit I think will allow people to stretch the bar higher. So, now you'll still have 15% of people driving too slow, but "too slow" is now 10 mph faster than it was before. The people that were driving 10mph over the speed limit will continue to do so, and the wreckless drivers, will be wreckless at a higher speed too.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hey hey...

It's been a very long time since I was over there but if my memory serves me right, our highways are no different than most sections of the autobaun (well around Bremen anyway). Like, I just don't seem to recall that the highways were any bigger, wider or better built for speed than our hwy #1 not to mention the Coquilhalla speedway but then again, at 250kph one does tend to get tunnel vision!
John,
In Europe all freeways have at least three lanes, trucks
are limited to 80 km/hr and NEVER travel in the left lane or
over the speed limit.
Trucks in Canada/US are geared to do 120km/hr @140,000lbs gvw.
They now occupy both lanes on the Trans Canada, having
'truck races' on a grade at 60k and then drive up your ass
down hill at 130k. The only thing most of them drove prior to
a class 8 truck was an ox cart...
Which brings us to the 'average' driver on the lower mainland.
In countries like Germany, France or Italy - they wouldn't
survive a single day of driving...

·
339 Posts
Nick,

Not that I disagree with you, but my last trip to Poland when I was on the highway, I had trucks in front of me at 140km/h... But ya, everyone does stay right, and when they come up fast on ya when you're in the middle or left lane, they turn on their right blinker and high-beam double-flash ya to let you know that they're coming...

Here, 90km/h in the fraser valley and even west van is really too low...Should be at least 110 IMO.

Well, I guess we can all dream...Then get a ticket...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts