BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
worthwhile info, and all tips based on real world experience (altho I don't think we have as much to worry about from lightning up our way compared to some other locales).
Proficient Motorcycling by this same author (David Hough) is one of the 'Bibles' of motorcycling knowledge texts. I'd urge any newbie to buy a copy, or pull it out of the library.

p.s. in an emergency, a garbage or leaf bag with a hole punched in the seam for your head and a couple corners opened for your arms can help you escape in a rainstorm. similarly, a pair of XL rubber dishwashing gloves can be pulled over your riding gloves to provide good weatherproofness ( with admittedly poor dexterity). and there's always the checkstand bag over the socks trick too...

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Proficient Motorcycling is one of the 4 books I read over the winter, and use for exercises at the beginning of next riding season. Great book with lots and lots of useful info.

Others are Smooth riding the Pridmore way, Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch and TOTW 2

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
worthwhile info, and all tips based on real world experience (altho I don't think we have as much to worry about from lightning up our way compared to some other locales).
Proficient Motorcycling by this same author (David Hough) is one of the 'Bibles' of motorcycling knowledge texts. I'd urge any newbie to buy a copy, or pull it out of the library.

p.s. in an emergency, a garbage or leaf bag with a hole punched in the seam for your head and a couple corners opened for your arms can help you escape in a rainstorm. similarly, a pair of XL rubber dishwashing gloves can be pulled over your riding gloves to provide good weatherproofness ( with admittedly poor dexterity). and there's always the checkstand bag over the socks trick too...
I have used the garbage bag trick for decades on camping trips, the dryer you are when you put it on the better. Excellent tip, i am throwing a couple in my saddle bag right now.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I have used the garbage bag trick for decades on camping trips, the dryer you are when you put it on the better. Excellent tip, i am throwing a couple in my saddle bag right now.
me too. we used to call them the "Mt Seymour Raincoat".
I've had a couple experiences where I found it's possible to beg one from a fast food joint, a corner store, or a gas station... better to carry decent raingear, of course, but we all make mistakes!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Proficient Motorcycling is one of the 4 books I read over the winter, and use for exercises at the beginning of next riding season. Great book with lots and lots of useful info.

Others are Smooth riding the Pridmore way, Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch and TOTW 2
Don't forget Proficient Motorcycling 2.

My top tip: gauntlet gloves go inside your sleeves when it's raining, not outside.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't forget Proficient Motorcycling 2.

My top tip: gauntlet gloves go inside your sleeves when it's raining, not outside.
Still havent picked up #2. Was going to do it last year, slipped my mind, so thanks for the reminder!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts