BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I registered on this board a month or two ago but never posted, but today I finally picked up the bike I've been waiting to get

It's my first bike

1989 Suzuki Katana 600

I've never ridden before...

I rode it around my gf's farm for an hour and then I felt brave enough to take it out on the road. Only went through backroads because I didn't want to screw up something in traffic. I stalled the thing every time I started from a stop. Just like learning to drive a standard car all over agin.

Took it back to the gf's farm, praticed starting off for another hour... then I felt brave enough to take it into town since the gas was running low. Only stalled a couple times. Much better than before... still need more practice but I think I caught on pretty quick there, I can take big corners comfortably at moderate speeds

Well thats my day... Pretty good for my first time riding, ever? and it was raining too

Anyways, I still need to practice and still need to pay off ICBC so I can go write the class 6 exams

but, I hope to join you guy's and girls on rides soon!

·
living the dream
1,109 Posts
sounds good buddy..
do it the legal way...pay your dues then join in.....your more than
welcome.....hope to see you on a ride soon....:thumbup :tredmill

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Sweet, another Katana rider :D

Welcome!! :flip

Do your icbc stuff before you take it out on the road, there are a lotta cops out checking licenses and stuff.

Also look into taking a school, action is a good one. A very good idea for long(er) life expectancy.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Always good to hear about folks with a new bike :thumbup

You might want to get that thing tuned up. Sounds like it's not all your fault with the stalling. Another good thing would be to flush new brake fluid through the braking systems. It's not hard, you do it the same as if you were bleeding for air bubbles but keep going until you see new fluid coming out.

You going to sign up for a school? It's a bit of a pain to come in all that distance but it'll pay off on your insurance rates and they teach a lot of the stuff in a week that would take you a year or more to self learn. I'm one of the self taught types from years ago and I know that I'd certainly not want to deal with today's traffic on my own. At least you've got some quiet back roads to work on your basic bike handling :cool

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Insurance is cheaper if you go to a school?

Ya I won't be riding without my liscence... I only did yesterday because I was so tempted cuz the previous owner bought a 2 day permit... though I'd make some use of it...

He also said I should definately get a tune up, he said the spark plugs and battery need to be replaced and all the fluids should get changed...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Sounds like a good price if it's in decent to nice shape....

Action is about $600 to 650 these days I hear. And yes you do get a break on your insurance for being a school graduate. Not only that but you short circuit part of the novice class tag thing.

Not 100% sure but I believe the "L" part where you can't ride over bridges and can't ride after dark are waived after the school. Anyone recent know more about that part?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Congrats, man....go take a course, well worth the money....

but if you want to stop that stalling thing try this, start the bike, pull the clutch in and go to 1st gear, then slowly release the clutch, until you find the bike kinda pulling, very subtle, but you will feel it, so now you know everytime to get to that friction zone, just give some etra gas and ease of the clutch....everything will be all right :thumbup

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
tell you what pm BOMAX and see what he can do, if you have pickup, bring the bike into town and he will take care of everything....

yes if you take the class you will be able to bypass the whole graduated licencing thingy I believe the website is www.actionmotorcycleschool.com

Also there is the govt. run school, I have no info. about that, but I think the V-twin school is in the fraser valley, Action is out in Surrey.....

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BMatthews said:

And yes you do get a break on your insurance for being a school graduate. Not only that but you short circuit part of the novice class tag thing.
How do we get the break on insurance? I've gone through the schools too, but never heard anything about it. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Congrats on your new ride, and... :flip :flip Welcome! :flip :flip

Does that insurance discount work for ICBC, or just private insurers? I got my license through BCSC, what would I need to do the next time I insure my bike?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts