BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

just got my L, now what?

6K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  dkazzed 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
so today i got my L. I feel like its hard to get into riding since nobody i know really does it. I am planning on taking lessons .http://www.kamenrider.ca/

seems good cuz i can use their bikes. but how will i do a skills test? i dont have a bike and even if i bought one, how would i get it to ICBC for the test since you need a supervisor.

#7 · (Edited)
As mentioned already, most of the schools provide evrything you nead, both bike and most of the gear. (PRS only doesnt provide boots, but everything else they do) Meeting fellow learners in the class is great, and you get to actually learn proper way of riding. In regards to your questions about bikes and getting it there. FOr PRS (as I took their course) you will do MST at the end of day 2 of parking lot. PRS does this testing. Once you pass that, you get to book the road test. When you book it, you do it through PRS and they will have a bike ready for you in the parking lot to take out for the road test. PRS parking lot and ICBC building are adjacent to one another so examiner just walks out of the building and meets you there.

And to add, from what I saw ProRide will transport bike in the back of their pickup to the ICBC location so that you can do your test.

#9 · (Edited)
I just finished my class with 1st gear. It was due to their location and schedule, that I ultimately picked them over PRS.

I have no regrets. It was a great experience and the course material was presented in a great manner that involved the students. The fun nature of it helped pass the time.
Think about it, your life is your most valuable asset. And the layout was great, only three days and you are out with your MSA passed, you can ride solo and join the group rides. 1st gear also has the occasional BBQ, so you can meet more fellow riders during the group rides or BBQ. All it takes is "Hello, nice bike, drop it yet?"

I know when I put it that way, it was a no brainer. I had a friend who could teach me but I don't think I would have put the effort nor the seriousness into it.

1st gear also provides mostly everything, just no boots/pants. Jeans are fine and shoes that cover your ankle. They also offer 3 free group rides when you pass, you can book depending on availability. (Any more, they charge, minor fees though)

As you can see by my join date 2009 (when my best friend got into riding), I was always wanting to ride but kept making excuses. Now I regret not starting sooner. But you know what they say, now or never!

P.S. If you like dark humour, Lionel (instructor/owner) has lots.

#17 ·
thanks everyone for the replies, i signed up for a group course with 1st gear, hopefully i pass my test, excited. they want me to get shoes that cover my ankles, so thats the goal before i start on the 28th xD.
yeah anyways thanks for all the help.

#22 ·
I always prefer full on riding boots instead of riding shoes like those. mSpeed has great deals on Arlen Ness race boots. $200. If they have your size, I would suggest you at least look into them, as they offer better protection than the shoes in your link. After conversion, price is pretty much same. With that said, those shoes are better than sneakers or flipflops, so it is a step in the right direction. :)

#25 ·
I am 1st Gear alumni and loved it. They have 5 types of bikes in their fleet -- Nighthawk (standard), Rebels (cruiser), XT225 (dual sport), Groms (monkey bike), and CBR 125R (sport) -- I encourage you to try them all to find out the type of bike you like the best. I came in expecting to prefer the dual sports and I do generally like them but I ended up preferring sport bikes.

I took four group rides. They charge $40 for any extra group rides, $20 if you bring your own bike. The first two were good from a learning stand point. The last two I took even after 4,000km of riding experience because 1. It's pretty fun riding in a group, 2. I found myself playing more of a mentor role for new riders and that was a fulfilling experience.

Like some others, I also regret not getting my motorcycle license earlier on in life. You'll do great! Have fun with Grumbles if you get to ride it, you'll figure out quick which bike I'm talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.