BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across a deal and bought it thinking I could fix it up for the neices and nephews to have some fun with. Anyone know for sure how to tell what this is? The closest thing that I can find online is the MT1 but it looks a little different from a few examples online. It has good compression and might need a few cables. The tank is also toast and it's missing an air cleaner. Any thoughts on finding parts?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm more interested in the turbo gixxer in the back ground.

Also the engine looks very similar to the one in my '79 kawi kh100

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, 1977 KV75-A6 it is! I might get lucky finding a used tank somewhere but it looks like stuff can get a little steep for tanks and NOS parts on eBay for an $80 bike. I'll try Dave in the morning and see what he has. Otherwise, I think I'll just chop that tank shorter and weld it back together past the rust hole on the one side and maybe find a pod filter and front fender off a pocket bike or something instead of the OEM units. Any more advice, keep it coming!

Ps. the turbo is a Velocity stage 1 kit. Highly recommended

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So these bikes are pretty expensive for good parts so I went with a mechanical restoration. Rebuilt the carb, went through the oil pump and ignition, then changed all the cables and brake shoes. The liners had rotted right off, I haven't pulled a lot of really old bikes apart and have never seen that. I had a welder friend braze the tank together after cleaning it out. It starts easy and actually burns pretty clean when it's warm. The seat is redone and just need to wait for a k&n filter that's coming in and bolts on. Been a fun project. Would never do it to make money but it was kinda interesting to save an old bike and it's fun to ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts