BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Kissing the chinbar..

985 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bradcc 
#1 ·
I got myself a small Shark S800 helmet at the bike show. Everything feels fine at the show and during the first hour of my ride on s2s. After an hour of riding, I started to feel that my lips are touching the chinbar at high speed. Is this normal? or I would be knocking my teeth off if in the event of an impact? I've had 3 other helmets before (including a Shark RSF) and never had the same problem.. help me out guys..

#5 ·
I'd say that in a frontal impact, your chin will almost certainly hit the chinbar of any helmet you're wearing. I wouldn't worry too much about that... what I would worry about is whether the helmet is too large. How much space was there when you started? Is the helmet tight everywhere, i.e. pushing up against your cheeks etc.?

OTOH, based on the empirical evidence, it could be that there's some law of physics previously undiscovered here... perhaps as speed and "hooliganism" increases, there is a proportional decrease in brain mass, causing head shrinkage and excess space in the helmet. I suggest more research. :D

#7 ·
As long as when you turn your head to shoulder check at those speeds your helmet doesn't twist around like a scene from the Exorcist you're probably okay. With my Arai I can pretty much kiss/french the chin bar. The new Scorpion I got is a bit better with a bit more in front.

#9 ·
Fit. As previously noted, that's the most important in a helmet.
I can kiss the chinbar of any helmet i've ever owned, but then again, i check my moustache grooming by pressing my upper lip to my nose.
Yeah, like a chimp.
sheesh. The kinds of people that motorcycling attracts....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.