BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
Before I bought my SD, I was actually looking for an SMT or SMR, but couldn't find one.
I can't wait for this to come out ... could there be a 1290 SMR, too? Decisions, decisions!

·
Original Pirate Material
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I swear you go out of your way to distract me Jon..........
Just do it. I had a hoot on the 1290 SD, I can only imagine a couple more inches of travel comfort. One downside is I suspect you'll be burning through a lot of rear tires.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
This bike may go straight to the top of my wish list.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I rode a 990SMT 'back when' and loved it, but it had a few flaws (all reported in KTM forums - no mysteries), and the remoteness of the local dealer was off-putting too. so I bought a Honda...

but the big new SMT certainly tickles one's fancy! and not just mine...

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/ktm-1290-smt

and motociclismo (google translated):

Spy Shots: 1290 KTM SMT. Challenge and Multistrada 1000 S XR!

From the technical basis of maxinuda KTM SuperDuke R derives a versatile tourist by many request. The SMT 1290 (let's call it) would stand beside the crossover "sport-tourist" 160 bhp BMW and Ducati, not overlapping the sister globe trotter 1290 Super Adventure

In Cologne and Milan, KTM has ... given gas with the innovations in the field of road enduro: in Germany came the flagship 1290 Super Adventure , at EICMA the "entry level" 1050 Adventure . Last year was the year of the big naked, with that in 1290 SuperDuke R that the Super Adventure gave the engine (and that was one of the protagonists of our comparative maxinaked in Catalunya ). Now it seems that the family "1290" is going to widen further.

GET THE HEIR OF SMT 990

If the Super Adventure is too Juno and SuperDuke R is too aggressive (though in our tests proved to be much more affordable than we expected), it seems that in a 1290 KTM have on site in a more sports-tourism, a road versatile and voted to travel but fun to drive, alone or in pairs. In short, the heir of the SMT 990. Already the version "travel" of SuperDuke R had remembered to many ( look in the gallery a couple of graphic design found on the net and the official photos of the SDR), but now are circulating on web of spy photos that confirm the imminent arrival of a KTM "SMT" but bigger.

DAUGHTER OF BARE SUPER DUKE R ...

The images (that we found online, such as on www.asphaltandrubber.com and www.visordown.com ) clearly show a motorcycle built on the platform of the big naked. Witness certainly the layout of the trellis frame and swingarm monobracccio, but also that of the motor (the exhaust is almost identical). The wheels are both 17, for now equal to those of the naked and fit tires road to 100%.

... BUT DRESSED TRAVEL

What will change? The body - as heavily disguised - is clearly more extensive and protective, also has a front by the evident family feeling but all new, with high windshield and an optical low-sharpened and inserted into a kind of reinterpretation of the concept of a beak. The suspension then seem a little higher (as the handlebars) and clearly is unprecedented across the back with attacks for suitcases integrated in the handles and the media platforms of the passenger. Presumably also the frame is new and reinforced for the most likely use in pairs (note the saddle split) and with luggage. In this regard, the pictures can be seen that the exhaust system is a lot on the right marked by obvious scrape the fold: on the suspension there is still work, or the testers have a lot of fun. Good sign or not? Better comfort and more opportunities to fold?

180 or 160 bhp KTM WANTS JOGGING OR BEAT MULTISTRADA ES 1000 XR?

And the fun should not just fail, because the engine looks like the "milletré" SuperDuke of R, a V2 at 75 ° to 180 hp and 144 Nm of torque (see here the video of the "Beast" at the counter of Motorcycling) . Sure, it might be more appropriate on a bike like this version of "only" 160 hp and 140 Nm mounted on Super Adventure, numbers that would allow the "1290 SMT" to fight on equal terms with the new Ducati Multistrada and with BMW S 1000 XR , because the electronic side "orange" does not miss anything, especially if it were to be implemented on the new bike all the new goodies introduced models presented to the halls, such as the Bosch ABS system that works even when cornering (in KTM call MSC, Motorcycle Stability Control: here our test ).

Changes to the big naked are, ultimately, technically quite limited and authorize to think that it should not move that much time before the debut: we will know more from summer 2015.

the Austrian boys sure know how to play the 'excitement' game!

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
CDG has had the same bike for what... 4 seasons now? I can see this change coming. The car was last year... and if this is available, I guarantee
you it will be in his garage.

Mark my words.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
CDG has had the same bike for what... 4 seasons now? I can see this change coming. The car was last year... and if this is available, I guarantee

Mark my words.
right now he's thinking about his RC8, how much he misses is, how much personality it had, thinking about the sound when he rolled on the throttle. . He's thinking that the 1290 will restore all of those smiles, and add some new ones. I'm going to have to assume that within 15 minutes he's going to be back on the KTM page, looking at the powerparts page for the Super Duke, and then thinking about which of those items will suit this new version. He's probably already been browsing the SDR forums looking to see what the known issues are, and trying to get mod ideas.......

just a hunch though.....

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
right now he's thinking about his RC8, how much he misses is, how much personality it had, thinking about the sound when he rolled on the throttle. . He's thinking that the 1290 will restore all of those smiles, and add some new ones. I'm going to have to assume that within 15 minutes he's going to be back on the KTM page, looking at the powerparts page for the Super Duke, and then thinking about which of those items will suit this new version. He's probably already been browsing the SDR forums looking to see what the known issues are, and trying to get mod ideas.......

just a hunch though.....
I completely agree with you.

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts

Mark my words.
Mark your words maybe, but I wouldn't put your money where your mouth is. Yes, 2015 will be the 4th season on this N1K, even surprises me! As much as I like KTM's, especially my RC8r, I shutter at the thought of having to take it to Holeshot, mostly from a proximity perspective. If KTM updated the RC8r with ABS/Traction control, that would really get me thinking. That bike can be made to be so comfortable, and no one believes me.

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
Mark your words maybe, but I wouldn't put your money where your mouth is. Yes, 2015 will be the 4th season on this N1K, even surprises me! As much as I like KTM's, especially my RC8r, I shutter at the thought of having to take it to Holeshot, mostly from a proximity perspective. If KTM updated the RC8r with ABS/Traction control, that would really get me thinking. That bike can be made to be so comfortable, and no one believes me.

Too bad they've discontinued the RC8. Maybe they'll make a street version of the new v4 RC16!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts