BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

What's your take on the Ride down to Laguna Seca?

• Iron Butt to Redding, California

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm Crazy and would go right down to Monterey!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Hyper-flo Exhaust Rules!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Laguna Seca MotoGP - July 22-24, 2011 *Group Full*

*CLOSED* - We've got our group. More than welcome to Join our ride there or back, but we've already got our tickets and two nights in Gilroy Booked. There is 5 of us going down on Thursday Night at 6pm. We've got our tickets thanks to DorguyR6 -> Grand Stand Turn 4, Row 15, Seats 6,7,8,9,10. and two nights at a hotel in Gilroy.

Thanks everybody for the tips and idea's and I hope to see some of you down there! (I know how many people will be there, but you never know!)

We've planned a trip to go watch the Red Bull US Grand Prix at the Mazda Raceway near Monterey, CA!

1,675 KM's, 17.5 hours.

We just want to watch Sunday's race.

- DorguyR6 and I want to leave Thursday Night (5:30 PM/6 PMish)and make it to Medford or Portland, Oregon for 1 night. --- Then leave early Friday to Arrive in Eureka.
- Leave Saturday morning to San Jose.
- Wake up early Sunday, Grab Breakfast, and have a blast at the MotoGP.
- Come back on a leisurely trip through San Fransisco, Eureka (or Something like that, maybe 4 nights back) taking the twisties on the 101. :rockon
- Thursday to Thursday

Some quick info:

I'm 29M, Riding a 2009 CBR600RR.
Looking for someone with a similar age group, and has a reliable bike.
Experience is not huge, but not green.
Not looking for speed, but a good pace enjoying the scenery.
We can work something out for accommodations.

***UPDATED*** May 17
Here is a link to Google Maps of the trip down: (no set plans back yet)
GOOGLE MAPS
Click on "Include Large Map" to see in better detail. I did the trip out of Burnaby.

**** FYI: PEOPLE WHO HAVE PM'd BACK / CONFIRMED ****
DorguyR6, ArmchairGM, Air Bender, Daedalas1981, JoWii

**** FYI: Estimated costs ****
Fuel: Average 250 kms per tank.
Accommodations: 7 nights, Averaging $60 per nights split.
Food: Depending on yourself, 21 meals.
---- * Cycle Gear has a package deal for $101 including tax, only available at Will Call at this point * ----
---- Package Includes GS Seating T4, Paddock Pass, and Parking ----
Event Parking: $39.95 (this is the paved lot) $10 cheaper on the non-paved.
Event Turn 4 Grandstand: $96.16
----
Spending Cash: Up to you.

**** FYI: Pace ****
I don't think we're looking for any tickets, but I'm sure will prob be a few (miles) over the speed limit. Nothing crazy. Definitely going to try and make it as far as we can before calling it a first night.

**** Check out this Parking Lot photo of Laguna Seca's MotoGP ****

Just PM me if your interested. Comment your thoughts :lurking

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
What's the furthest you have ridden that bike in one day?

900+ kms on the first day, on the superslab, on a sportbike, is going to be rough for many.

That straight line shit, hour after painful hour, is very fatiguing.

In the interest of enjoyment, you should consider an extra day IMO.

·
Hyper-flo Exhaust Rules!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely an Option

What's the furthest you have ridden that bike in one day?

900+ kms on the first day, on the superslab, on a sportbike, is going to be rough for many.

That straight line shit, hour after painful hour, is very fatiguing.

In the interest of enjoyment, you should consider an extra day IMO.
About 650k 8 hours of riding is the most I've done, but that was straight riding. I'm thinking if we were to leave like at 4 am or something, and just stop along the way, Medford wouldn't be all that bad. But I am definitely open to stopping in Portland, OR. Guess it's all up to whoever I ride with.

My co-worker goes regularly on his 05' CBR down to LA, and he said he always stops at the Motel 6 in Redding, CA for his first night. A solid 12 hours of riding. I think this would be a little too far for me.

But thanks CHIA, I will definitely consider an extra day. I think in June, I've got another vacation week, I'll try pushing the limits on a test run and see what's comfortable.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Medford on the first night is certainly attainable but it means your riding the only interesting portion of the 5 for the last two hours of a very, very long day.

Expect a full three day ride if you detour to the 101 but it'll be a more enjoyable three days than overnight on the 5.

·
Hyper-flo Exhaust Rules!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a possibility!

Medford on the first night is certainly attainable but it means your riding the only interesting portion of the 5 for the last two hours of a very, very long day.

Expect a full three day ride if you detour to the 101 but it'll be a more enjoyable three days than overnight on the 5.
I was hoping to do the 101 on the way back. You think I should do it both ways? Realistically I have from July 21st-30th off, but I figured most people couldn't get the Thursday off.

·
backslider
11,219 Posts
riding the I-5 is like having sex with your grandmother - a horrid experience

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
riding the I-5 is like having sex with your grandmother - a horrid experience
And he speaks from experience!

I'm not suggesting it's not a do-able ride, just that it's going to be painfully boring, and tiring, on the I5, for that long.

If you really want to enjoy yourself, and get anyone else on board, it's probably best to add an extra day to the trip down. This gives you a bit of flexibility on the route, time to stop & smell the roses.

You say you have done 650kms in a day.....was that I5 type superslab riding, in a straight line?

For me, a 650kms of a Duffy Loop is vastly different from 650kms of straight line highway.

Not trying to discourage, so much as just suggesting you consider....that extra day could really make the entire trip that much better.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Going all the way down for the race only is a waste of time.
It's a 3 day event, if you're going to go down, go for the whole thing.

I always spend 4 days at the track, Thursday is the best time to roam around and networking.

·
Hyper-flo Exhaust Rules!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And he speaks from experience!
You say you have done 650kms in a day.....was that I5 type superslab riding, in a straight line?
Your right, it was up Highway 3 towards Keremeos rounder.

Anyways, I am completely open to going for any amount of time and/or changing the stops I suggested.

And I know the other guy posted for going down for all 3 days, but all I care about is the race. Plus anybody who had looked into the hotels in the area know that they are very costly. On a side note, I might have a friends place in San Jose about an hour away from the race that we might be able to stay at.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
If it were me and I had a limited amount of time to get to and from the track, I'd just fly in to San Francisco and rent a bike for the last leg of the journey from Frisco to Monterey.

If it's difficult to take an extra day off, consider foregoing Friday at the track in exchange for routing yourself through the 101.

Motorcycle trips should be enjoyable, not agonizing interstate punishment.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
If it were me and I had a limited amount of time to get to and from the track, I'd just fly in to San Francisco and rent a bike for the last leg of the journey from Frisco to Monterey.

If it's difficult to take an extra day off, consider foregoing Friday at the track in exchange for routing yourself through the 101.

Motorcycle trips should be enjoyable, not agonizing interstate punishment.
Ya know, it may not be the same "adventure" for someone who has not done, it, but Tatoodles speaks from experience, having done the trip more than once.

Renting a bike for a few days and airfare, might be a bit pricey, but when you take 6 days of accommodation and meals out of the equation, it may not be all that bad.

Then you could hit some of the cool canyon stuff in Cali too. Get a cheap flight outta Belingham.....hmmm.

Just another option from the peanut gallery :coffee

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wish I could ride down. Just booked my flight for two return was $300 and just called for tickets yesterday. Can't wait.

·
Hyper-flo Exhaust Rules!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya know, it may not be the same "adventure" for someone who has not done, it, but Tatoodles speaks from experience, having done the trip more than once.

Renting a bike for a few days and airfare, might be a bit pricey, but when you take 6 days of accommodation and meals out of the equation, it may not be all that bad.

Then you could hit some of the cool canyon stuff in Cali too. Get a cheap flight outta Belingham.....hmmm.

Just another option from the peanut gallery :coffee
I want to ride down. Money isn't the issue, nor is the route. I've got time. I think the 101 would be nice both ways. Leave Thursday or Friday, and take my time down to Monterey...The time back can be as long as needed as I have the whole week off after the race!

Either way, I am still trying to find somebody interested in riding with me, and planning something together. :coffee

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
I, like Tattoodles, have done the ride to northern Cali a number of times. Yes, it is possible to do Medford in the first day, and if you do, I highly suggest you wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and get rolling. The miles go past quickly in the wee hours. You are just going to crash the minute you get into your hotel room anyways.

Last weekend I drove to San Diego and back in 4 days to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday. I did 1400kms in day 1 (Chico) and 850 in Day 2 (San Diego'ish). No way in Hell I woudl do that on a bike.

But, once you are past Washington and the barage of cops with radar guns, you can wick it up pretty good. My average speed through Oregon was well above 80 miles/hour. On the odd occasion there was radar, my detector picked up the traps many many miles out. Same applies for norther Cali.

The challenge is not "getting to Medford in 1 day". You will be excited and everything is new. The challenge is getting home. You do not want to do Medford to Vancouver in one stretch on yoru return home. Attempting a 14, 10, heck even 8 hour ride on the I-5 on your last day will suck big time.

·
Hyper-flo Exhaust Rules!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!

I, like Tattoodles, have done the ride to northern Cali a number of times. Yes, it is possible to do Medford in the first day, and if you do, I highly suggest you wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and get rolling. The miles go past quickly in the wee hours. You are just going to crash the minute you get into your hotel room anyways.

Last weekend I drove to San Diego and back in 4 days to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday. I did 1400kms in day 1 (Chico) and 850 in Day 2 (San Diego'ish). No way in Hell I woudl do that on a bike.

But, once you are past Washington and the barage of cops with radar guns, you can wick it up pretty good. My average speed through Oregon was well above 80 miles/hour. On the odd occasion there was radar, my detector picked up the traps many many miles out. Same applies for norther Cali.

The challenge is not "getting to Medford in 1 day". You will be excited and everything is new. The challenge is getting home. You do not want to do Medford to Vancouver in one stretch on yoru return home. Attempting a 14, 10, heck even 8 hour ride on the I-5 on your last day will suck big time.
I think in June I might try and make it to Medford in a day just to see how it's like.

As for this trip, it's looking more like Portland if I am to find somebody to ride with, and most likely the 101. I am actually surprised that no one has responded. Maybe if we get closer to the warmer season, I'll see some more interest.

Thanks for your input CoolDaddyGroove!

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I'm riding to Laguna leaving Vancouver on Tuesday the 19th of July, arriving in San Francisco on Friday afternoon where I meet my wife who's flying in. I'm riding down with a few friends taking this route over 4 days or so: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...22.478333&sspn=0.873139,1.630096&ie=UTF8&z=10

First night: Astoria, OR
Second night: Crescent City, CA
Third night: Bodega Bay, CA
Fourth night: San Francisco, CA

We don't plan on arriving at the track until mid afternoon on the Saturday.

Ping me if you're interested.

·
Hyper-flo Exhaust Rules!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!

I'm riding to Laguna leaving Vancouver on Tuesday the 19th of July, arriving in San Francisco on Friday afternoon where I meet my wife who's flying in. I'm riding down with a few friends taking this route over 4 days or so: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...22.478333&sspn=0.873139,1.630096&ie=UTF8&z=10

Thanks Adam for the invite, but I doubt my boss will give me the Tueday/Wednesday Combination.

I was talking to Dale McNeil from Mum's in North Van about you yesterday. I built his website for him, and we got on the topic of you and your site. He claims you have excellent work. Definitely got to meet you at some point.

·
Hyper-flo Exhaust Rules!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That map Tattoodles posted, looks like an awesome trip! I wonder if anybody would want to do that leaving Thursday....hmmmm... Looks awesome! :evilgrin

·
backslider
11,219 Posts

I hope you're planning on covering some of the more pleasurable inner roads on your trip back north .... not that the coast highway isn't awesome along some stretches, but there are sooooo many more criss-crossing the state along the way?

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I hope you're planning on covering some of the more pleasurable inner roads on your trip back north .... not that the coast highway isn't awesome along some stretches, but there are sooooo many more criss-crossing the state along the way?
Oh for sure! There's enough exciting blacktop in Trinity National Forest alone to keep you entertained for a week. If there's time, a lunch stop in Weaverville may be on the agenda.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts