BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...just a quick tip for those of you who have never taken a motorcycle course...and there seems to be a lot of you...

STAY OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE LANE - ESPECIALLY in INTERSECTIONS

I see so many of you riding in the middle of the lane. By riding in the middle of the lane you are basically coating your tires in oil.

Please take some time and learn WHERE in the lane you should ride WHEN.

Cheers and ride safe.

Dan.

R

·
0 Posts
wouldn't the middle be better than the left lane position through an intersection? >_> Although I do always go to the right position through an intersection.

coating your tires in oil? from cars or what?

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Good tip...lane position will change based on conditions and # of lanes, etc... You need to pick the lane position that gives you the most dominant presence on the road.

Ratzilla: Yes, as vehicles drip oil and other fluids, the center of the lanes can often become like an oil slick at times.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Noobs with 57 posts handing out advice are swell!

R

·
0 Posts
is there any case where position 2 would be best?

normal case that is. I mean if you're sandwhiched between two huge trucks...obviously the middle would be best and you get the hell out of there. But i mean on the road under normal circumstances...

D

·
0 Posts
position 2 can be used in riding in groups of 3 or more.

the chances of you hitting oil in the middle of the road while out riding are far less than hitting a patch while stopped at a light. i'd be more concerned with the truck ridges in the road than oil.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Ratzilla said:
wouldn't the middle be better than the left lane position through an intersection? >_> Although I do always go to the right position through an intersection.

coating your tires in oil? from cars or what?
You really are the new coolio.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
CrashTested said:
Is it bad advice? Any maybe the guy's been riding for 10 years but recently signed on. Or maybe he is a newb with an insightful comment.

·
Its quiet in here!
524 Posts
CrashTested said:
Why would his post count affect his knowledge?

Anyhow, ever seen the center of the road, its dark black from all the oil leaks, its a very dangerous place to be, especially when wet.

Also remember to stay out of the drivers blind spots, if you hide there, it can get you killed or seriouslyhurt.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Point taken.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Yeah stay outta middle part of the lane even when not at intersections at all times if possible. During rush hour cars drip their oil all over the road not just at intersections.

Plus the middle part of lane is rarely driven on by tires excepting when cars changes lanes or w/e, therefore there might be hit a nail there once in a while or some other crap, usually there is nothing there.

I usually ride 1 or 3 never 2, even on the highway (1.5 or 2.5). When you need to make an emergency stop, you'll know how your tires react almost all the time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
weitaro said:
use the position 1 1/2
between left and middle
actually for going through an intersection with an opposing left turning car, you shuold go 2 1/2...
the farther over to the right you are, the sooner the car will have you in their line of sight. also, gives you fractionally more room between you and the opposing car.

·
Lightly seasoned...
176 Posts
LOL, Vancouver riders :p out on the island here usually the cleanest smoothest pavement IS the middle of the road... try riding the coastal island highway sometime... there's a good 10km (at least) strip of oil polish by fanny bay that means if its just starting to rain its a dance between positions 1-2-3 avoiding it like an invisible pylon course (I think a drunk semi driver went through there one day aeons ago with a full tank of oil that just poured away behind him as he drove weaving about)... OR theres the passing lane section with enough truck rutting to rattle your filling loose along with any nut not torqued down so its ride the ridge in the middle (its fun when going the right speed... makes me a bit dizzy from my eyes vibrating in their sockets :p ).
When you're riding on the island its always an adventure :D

Point is... don't drive on the ICK and don't give a welcome mat to psychonauts in their SUV's to try to slip beside you or not see you, beyond that ride where you darn well please inside your lane. :p

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
dewdar said:
actually for going through an intersection with an opposing left turning car, you shuold go 2 1/2...
the farther over to the right you are, the sooner the car will have you in their line of sight. also, gives you fractionally more room between you and the opposing car.
More space from the left turning car coming the other way, but less space from the right turning car coming out from the cross street. Don't fixate on "it must be done this way". I've ridden down the white line between the two lanes going my direction when there were cars waiting on both sides, and it looked equally likely that one of them would move.

Lane position is not hard-and-fast rules. It's guidelines as to what works in some situations. Only you, on the bike, can decide what makes the most sense.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Spike said:
More space from the left turning car coming the other way, but less space from the right turning car coming out from the cross street. Don't fixate on "it must be done this way". I've ridden down the white line between the two lanes going my direction when there were cars waiting on both sides, and it looked equally likely that one of them would move.

Lane position is not hard-and-fast rules. It's guidelines as to what works in some situations. Only you, on the bike, can decide what makes the most sense.
I absolutely agree....they are more guidelines than rules

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Stay safe....

tine785 said:
Ok...just a quick tip for those of you who have never taken a motorcycle course...and there seems to be a lot of you...

STAY OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE LANE - ESPECIALLY in INTERSECTIONS

I see so many of you riding in the middle of the lane. By riding in the middle of the lane you are basically coating your tires in oil.

Please take some time and learn WHERE in the lane you should ride WHEN.

Cheers and ride safe.

Dan.
I am seeing the same thing ...it's great that all you new riders are asking questions..but it scares the shit out of me that you ask those questions...when most of us that have taken a course or have many years on a bike and never put ourselves in those dangerous positions....I really hate!!! HATE!!!HATE!! hearing about riders down......I feel if you are going to ride now days you must consider taking a course...don't go cheap on youself...when you are laying in the hospital ask yourself how much would you pay to not be here??? or worse how much would the ones who care about you pay to have you back...the thing with learning life skills on the road is that hopefully you never need to use them...but i am 100% sure that everyone here can tell you a story about a close call....Every new rider here should look into taking a course...you will meet great people have fun and learn how to stay safe this year...I am excited to see Dat grow his school to another level.....he has a fantastic group of people now....already this season started on a sad note...

·
retired panda racer...~_~
740 Posts
i still prefer position 2 when i'm on bridges with high winds pushing me laterally left and right...

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
lane position is like net position in hockey=if you get it right your reflexes will not have to be as quick, whereas if you get it wrong, you're gonna have to have fucking fast reflexes to do well ...

·
Registered
841 Posts
I went over the Pattula Bridge for the first time today. I drive over it every day to go to work but I wanted to try the bridge on a light day so I can get a feel for it when I ride into work.

The bridge surface is pot-holed on all lanes and worse on the outside lane in position 3. The problem I found today is not so much the condition of the road but the narrowness of the lanes.

Being in position 1 or 1 1/2 was too close to the other lane. If I stay in the outside lane and try position 3 then I hit holes. I found the best position for me was the outside lane in position 2 1/2. Far enough away from the other lane and able to avoid most of the holes.

Are there better suggestions on how to tackle the bridge? Taking a different bridge would be a longer detour. I can't wait until the Port Mann is tolled. It'll oh so much fun.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts