1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
726 Posts
Issuing traffic guidelines/instructions/handbooks was job of DMV and not CHP. That practice proved good for California traffic system. Motorcycling community in cali been short sighted in pushing bill to let chp issue guidelines. Result, the first (retracted) guidelines issued were flawed.

Lane splitting was never illegal in California.

The good part of these new 'tips' is that there are no arbitrary/magic speed and differential numbers.
Good for being clear that impeding/blocking is illegal.

I think should have been more broader/generic about encouraging lane-splitter to make (potential lane-changer) aware of their presence. Majority of bikers never use horn when they are in accident situation. Also lot of them don't cover clutch and brake. In crash videos one can see lot of riders are slow with clutch and brake.

They should have researched on how motorcyclists zip through traffic in other countries. Though, that job is better suited for a traffic engineer.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Another enlightening response from you to one of my inquiries. Any examples of a actual violation that you're likely to be cited for?

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
The charge can be based on a lot of different things. How heavy was the traffic? Was it stopped or moving? How fast was the motorcycle moving? Was it on the right shoulder, left shoulder, between lanes? Rarely is there "one charge for everything" in a case like this, there can be a lot of variables.

That means the stop could result in anything from a warning to a ticket ranging from "Unsafe pass on right" at 2 points and $109 to "drive without consideration" at $368 and 4 points.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Another enlightening response from you to one of my inquiries. Any examples of a actual violation that you're likely to be cited for?
dont ask such vague questions.. that dont have an answer.

i've never been cited.. or warned for that matter whilst filtering...

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I've had an undercover VPD member tear a strip off of me roadside .........

·
Registered
617 Posts
dont ask such vague questions.. that dont have an answer.

i've never been cited.. or warned for that matter whilst filtering...
I can see you're trying to keep this civil so I'll put this as politely as possible. Are you stupid?

I ask:
What is the actual charge/fine for lane splitting here in BC? *Just curious.*
To which you reply:
depends on the cop.
Your answer is the textbook definition of vague, just so you know. *

vague vāɡ/Submit adjective of uncertain, indefinite, or unclear character or meaning. "many patients suffer vague symptoms" synonyms: indistinct, indefinite, indeterminate, unclear, ill-defined; More thinking or communicating in an unfocused or imprecise way. "he had been very vague about his activities" synonyms: imprecise, rough, approximate, inexact, incomplete, nonspecific, generalized, ambiguous, equivocal, hazy, woolly "a vague description"

Now my other thread to which you responded. I asked....
I'm starting to research and compile what I'll need to check and adjust my valve clearances as well as sync the throttle bodies on my f4i. Curious what brand/make of sync tool anyone here uses? Any suggestions where to pick one up? Homemade anyone?
To which you answered.
a manual to start..
This is not really vague. It is just moronic and possibly underhandedly ignorant.

Sorry for the sideshow folks. Lmao.

Sikorsky. Thanks for answering my 'vague question.....that doesn't have a answer'. I appreciate the info and insight.*

Lanesplitting would be rare to non-existent in the interior here, atleast anywhere I travel. Seems in a land like ours where it's illegal it would be very high risk for catching a cager unawares. *

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I can see you're trying to keep this civil so I'll put this as politely as possible. Are you stupid?

This is not really vague. It is just moronic and possibly underhandedly ignorant.

Sorry for the sideshow folks. Lmao.

Sikorsky. Thanks for answering my 'vague question.....that doesn't have a answer'. I appreciate the info and insight.*

Lanesplitting would be rare to non-existent in the interior here, atleast anywhere I travel. Seems in a land like ours where it's illegal it would be very high risk for catching a cager unawares. *
Sometimes he comes across as less than pleasant. See below ....

amazingly less cunty on here than real life.

Otherwise, no problem, happy to help.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
In January 2017 Lane Splitting was legally sanctioned in California for safety reasons.

This article discusses the new tip sheet for both motorcyclists and motorists issued by California Highway Patrol on Thursday!

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-lane-splitting-20180927-story.html

Lets hope BC will eventually catch up as traffic jams are increasingly relevant in Vancouver area.

Many wish that we could adopt the lane splitting/lane sharing situation enjoyed in California. As much as I would like it, and do it [I do it occasionally now], I fear it would be utter carnage on a grand scale here in SW BC. The low threshold of motorbike riding skill here, coupled with the devastatingly bad car driver skill here, and the limited 6-7 month riding season where both riders and cage drivers get used to lane splitting as a reality, that this would virtually guarantee a ten fold fatality statistic of motorcyclists. Add to this the extreme selfishness of car drivers, who have the thought that if they are stuck in traffic, everyone has to be stuck in traffic. Heck, never mind the times I've split traffic on highway 1 during complete traffic stops, where aggressive vehicle blocks, door openings, spitting, cigarette and coffee thrown are regular. I've had the same thing happen when I'm on a bicycle!!

I've been stopped twice on Hwy 1 for this practice. Both times I saw them way ahead, and rode up literally at less than walking pace. After explaining my air cooled engine issues, and asking if walking the bike along side the highway with the engine off was a safer option, I was told to continue at my very slow pace.

One thing I will never do, is ride on the shoulder. First off, I see zero tolerance of this practice by the speed tax collectors, but also just as important to me is the high amount of tire damaging crap on the shoulder.

My lane splitting has been reduced significantly, mainly because my R1200GS with big GSA boxes are a lot wider than my previous daily commuter Moto Guzzi V11 Sport.

·
Registered
617 Posts
i mean.. you cost me like 2 grand and a giant headache.. not to mention being a bit of a dick imo whilst doing it.. so.. uh are we supposed to be friends?
Ahh history. 2g. Wowzers. What were you doing? ...............please don't say lane splitting.*

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
i mean.. you cost me like 2 grand and a giant headache.. not to mention being a bit of a dick imo whilst doing it.. so.. uh are we supposed to be friends?
I guess we just remember things differently. No worries.

My lane splitting has been reduced significantly, mainly because my R1200GS with big GSA boxes are a lot wider than my previous daily commuter Moto Guzzi V11 Sport.
I hope that one day filtering will be made legal in BC as well. But it would take a lot of education of the motoring public on both sides in order to get it done safely. I had an 1150 GSA that I lane split with in California ....... that was scarey stuff. Then I'd look in the mirrors and see that I had 2 or bikes stacked behind me!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Luckily I do most of my riding these days in California. I filter to the front at every red light and split lanes when free way traffic stops or is moving slowly. This is both safer than waiting for someone to rear end me and SO much quicker. This practice is so well known in SOCAL that cagers will move over to make room when they see you coming! This works so well with my naked bike. Not so much with the touring bike with the hard cases, but I still work it in whenever there is room.

It is so frustrating in BC!!

However, I do agree that lane splitting is/can be dangerous at higher speeds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts