BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
I was at the CKNW News Cruise and I heard that idea seriously discussed. It absolutely floored me that these morons would even suggest it. I would have liked to find out where the hell they ever got such an idea but there was no way I could keep my sarcasm in check.
You can guess what kind of bikes they were riding too.

·
I do all my own stunts
3,306 Posts
I've done it, figured I'd rather go under the car than over top of it. I didn't avoid the crash tho, but I'm much better off :p

edit, I was downtown in the rain in january, no exit on right or left side. not enough traction to stop....

·
myside.yourside.myside
2,097 Posts
ridiculous idea.

that only happens in the movies where you have to slide under the semi trailer at speed or something.

if I hear someone say this, I simply hear "I had to stop quickly and couldnt keep the bike under control"

Cory

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told once, by a fellow who was a m/c courier for the US armed forces, "laying it down," was part of their training exercise.

Still and all, no real need to discuss the advantages of the co-efficient of drag of a braking tire, verses the CD of a sliding motorcycle......

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
...it's a Harley-Davidson riding technique. It's in the owner's manual and everything.

·
I do all my own stunts
3,306 Posts
Didn't I just post it. I could've slid on both wheels into the car, and have me go over the roof, or let it slide into the car and me roll on the ground....who's more important, bike, or phil?? fuck the bike, I'm not hitting that car.

·
myside.yourside.myside
2,097 Posts
friend of mine dumped, avoiding someone who pulled out in front of him, didnt touch the other car, and ICBC ruled it her fault I believe. 'course he had the benefit of witnesses.

I dont believe he tried the "I crashed to avoid a crash..." though

Cory

·
Registered
274 Posts
friend of mine dumped, avoiding someone who pulled out in front of him, didnt touch the other car, and ICBC ruled it her fault I believe. 'course he had the benefit of witnesses.

I dont believe he tried the "I crashed to avoid a crash..." though

Cory
yes,,someone ones told me that if you would ever do that,makes sure your bike hits the car or wutever..i guess ICBC would look at it diff if thats the case....would they?

G

·
my girlfriend wrote off a bike in the rain cuz some moron pulled out in front of her from a stop sign and she laid it down. icbc paid out in full and ruled it 100% his fault. i'd rather tuck the front and have the bike smash into the car than have me ride right into it knowing there's not enough room to stop.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
Back in the early days when men were men and bikes were made from overcooked pasta and brakes had only a vague idea of their function in life I suspect that "layin' 'er down" would actually be of benifit. The coefficient of a sliding motorcycle in that era was likely far higher than what the measely little drum brakes could generate. And I'm talking about right up to the 60's here. Some of the drums were a disaster compared to what we expect these days. In a lot of cases locking the front tire, let alone a stoppie, was just plain not possible. Add in the fact that a lot of those old tires were bad enough that even with the terrible brake performance that it was STILL possible to lock the front tire on demand.

So, you're carrening towards that old 57 Chev milk van and you know you can't stop and the bike has the turning radius of the Queen Mary. Layin' 'er down" starts to sound like a pretty good alternative to trying to imprint your face into metal relief art.

But from about the mid 70's to now it's about as silly as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane without a parachute. Oddly enough there's still some cruiser riders that avoid the front brake like the plague. For them, and their resulting extremely poor stopping ability, I suppose it's still an option.

Then there's the other story.... The one that goes that since cruiser riders often only use the rear brake and that the rear leads to early locking up and sliding and finally low sides that the "layin' 'er down" story is just an excuse to hide the fact that they could not skid the rear and prevent a lowside all at the same time.

·
Banned
3,047 Posts
I was once heading toward a concrete barrier, behind which was a 300' drop off into a river & train-tracks [ie: along the Duffy]. I didn't plan to low-side because I thought I'd *just* make that turn... but I didn't. :rolleyes If in the same situation, given the opportunity to choose: yes, I'd "lay'r down". Far better than going over the barrier or hitting the barrier in any other position than from a low-side angle.

IMHO, the variable here is: "if you had a choice"... which is a rare event we're seldom given when we f*ck up or something else goes wrong.

·
Registered
841 Posts
When I was in college a friend was riding home and in order to avoid a pedestrian running across the road without looking, he laid his bike. His boot got caught and dragged him for a bit.

When the bike hit a bump, it high-sided and threw him into a parked car. He wore full leathers and a full helmet. He spent several months in the hospital and another 6 months in physio before he returned back to school.

He knew he was going to crash and decided to dump the bike and try to avoid the pedestrian. I think he made the right choice just an unexpected outcome.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I for one was in a situation when riding at high speed in a tight turn was pushed off the pavement by another bike and went on gravel, had to ride in a straight line to slow down and ran out of sholder facing either running into a fence or going into a deep ditch... so I laid it down and when stoppped was only 1'-1.5' away from going to the ditch. It was prolly 5' or so drop there. Made it out with minor scratches on faring, pipe and engine cover....

·
Registered
36 Posts
"I hadda lay it down" is for those who still believe in the tooth fairy.
Why can't people admit that they simply fcuked up and lost control? Usually by locking up a wheel in a panic. Quit the BS and stop covering up for a mediocre level of skill.

G

·
"I hadda lay it down" is for those who still believe in the tooth fairy.
Why can't people admit that they simply fcuked up and lost control? Usually by locking up a wheel in a panic. Quit the BS and stop covering up for a mediocre level of skill.

are you gonna say that when a car/cow/deer/ufo comes at you or in your flightpath in less than ideal conditions?

·
Poser Emeritus
2,737 Posts
are you gonna say that when a car/cow/deer/ufo comes at you or in your flightpath in less than ideal conditions?
Well I have made that choice, last August about 2 a.m. on a secondary road outside of Edmunston NB. It was dark and rainy and I topped a hill at a good rate of speed to encounter a Moose running up on to the road the monet I popped over the hill.

As I am sure all of you know Moose have no reflecting eyes. The rain drops on her fur shone in my headlights (note I have considerable forward pointing illumination) and made her visible.

I began maximum braking effort (ABS was cycling) and I made the decision to aim at the moose's ass expecting her to move (she did ) so in essence this was a swerve from the moose. From the moment I started to brake I was on the horn as well - Michael taught me that about deer.

I can remember making the decion that I would try to keep the bike upright and on the road at all costs, because if I went off the road I might never be found.

If I was unlucky enough to hit the moose and then go off the road at least there would be some debris on the road to guide searchers. I never though about "laying the bike down" and quite frankly I am convinced I do not have the skills to do so.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.