BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a thread about someone buying a knock-off in downtown, so got me wondering...how many people would actually buy these ones (pic attached).....they are made out of leather, look quite authentic right down to the zippers with logo on them (trust me u can't tell the diff unless you really go over it ).....they don't have armor per se but have this plastic padding in the elbows , shoulders etc (one can always wear "mesh" type body armor underneath).......btw if u're wondering i didn't buy one although i was sorely tempted (but did get a BMWMcwilliams F1 pullover) :evilgrin

G

·
they would be better if they were not the banned tobacco ad versions.

that joe rocket zook jacket will get them shut down fast too. joe has a habit of going after the knock offs with gusto.

G

·
i would NOT have peace of mind riding with that stuff. i mean... how close do they get to originals in terms of safety?

cause otherwise, there'd be no point to wear leather that ripz apart upon impact with assphalt.

Buying it for looks... You'd only be posing. no?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That store is in Asia (and before u lot start flaming me about "Chinese" knock-offs, i saw the same stuff in Rome in a store off Via Del Corso but the pricing was in Euros)....so wud u buy it in euros' or renimbi ? They worked out to be bout 175 to 200 cdn. as for wearing it , i saw a lot of the locals wearing the stuff and i asked one guy at a stoplight and he was the one who told me where to go. i looked at the stiching around the shoulders and the sides and it was doublestiched with a thcik thread.......don't think it wud come apart in a moderate speed crash....like i said i wa sorely tempted but then i already had bought a A-star suit frm UK.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hmmm...if i get interest in about 6- 8 jackets , might as well pick em up for next yr's riding season...heres the gear frm another store and these ones are not knockoffs!...check out the official Suzuki factory suit and the Yamaha 50th anniversary one to match the bike!

G

·
i looked at the stiching around the shoulders and the sides and it was doublestiched with a thcik thread.......don't think it wud come apart in a moderate speed crash.
so you base the durability of a riding jacket on the thread in the shoulders? ever thought that genuine riding jackets are made with kevlar stitching, not "thick thread"?

thread is cotton. the stuff your jeans are made of. take a look at your pant cuffs. see how it's all frayed from dragging on the pavement? that's what the jacket will do in a moderate speed crash. kevlar is stronger than steel.

what is it with the surge of darwin awards nominees lately?

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
not so sure i agre with the kevlar stitchinig thing. they've only been using that the past few years. before that it was the cotton thread and in my years of racing and crashing, only had one suit come apart on me and that was due to it getting caught under the foot peg and ripped open. all the others more then held together. i burned a hole in one from sliding but the stitching held.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Crash safe jackets use hidden stitching where the seams are folded over to hide the stitching from road rash. If the stitching is exposed such that it is easy to see and check out then this is not crash safe stuff.

As for me I don't wear garishly "branded" garments. Or would only wear them if I was actually sponsored by them. Same with things like Repsol replica sticker packages. Not for me at all.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
bruce is the OG, he dont need the flash, he goes fast as it is..a few stickers wont help him... THAT MUCH! lol

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
Crash safe jackets use hidden stitching where the seams are folded over to hide the stitching from road rash. If the stitching is exposed such that it is easy to see and check out then this is not crash safe stuff.

As for me I don't wear garishly "branded" garments. Or would only wear them if I was actually sponsored by them. Same with things like Repsol replica sticker packages. Not for me at all.
i was just looking at my Teknic 1pc race suit and there's an awfull lot of exposed stitching. i wonder if they fold em then stitch em hidden then do another stitch exposed for double stitching?? they always claim double stitched. maybe that's what they do.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
i was just looking at my Teknic 1pc race suit and there's an awfull lot of exposed stitching. i wonder if they fold em then stitch em hidden then do another stitch exposed for double stitching?? they always claim double stitched. maybe that's what they do.
I had a wee crash wearing a REAL 2-piece teknics Lightning suit. Slid on my ass for bit. The ass leather was rashed but did well, however all the stiches were gone (yes, they were kevlar) and I had a big flap of leather hanging out my butt on the ride home like I was wearing long johns with the trap door open.
So I don't care about stitching...as long as it's good large pieces of leather.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
I had a wee crash wearing a REAL 2-piece teknics Lightning suit. Slid on my ass for bit. The ass leather was rashed but did well, however all the stiches were gone (yes, they were kevlar) and I had a big flap of leather hanging out my butt on the ride home like I was wearing long johns with the trap door open.
So I don't care about stitching...as long as it's good large pieces of leather.
so you had der poopin door!!??

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
i woudln't mind buying them if it's cheap, i mean yeah quality isn't gogni to be as good as in stitching, maybe lose color due to in the rain, maybe with a spelling YaHAma or Zusuki, but other than that i don't see why it's not good. I would just get it for the heck of it... new bike, new jacket...

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
what isnt a chinese knock off these days? and honestly... who really cares? they "real stuff" is made in china, and so is the fake stuff.... so who gives a crap? I've spent a shitload of money in the last year on fake chinese furniture... the build quality is awesome and the stuff looks like a million bucks... all knock offs of ubber high end italian stuff from Scam Design and Inform.... but at like 1/10th the price... so really... who cares? Gimmee the fake stuff.. bring it one.. .I love it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts