BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a good riding jacket for the coming season, and I've been looking between a simple black leather jacket and a textile jacket. I've been leaning towards something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/FIELDSHEER-SUPER-SPORT-TX-MOTORCYCLE-JACKET-NWT_W0QQitemZ8031254929QQcategoryZ6750QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but I'm wondering which would be the better route to go?
the critera are safety, practicality and function.

let me know what you think, a pro con list for a textile product like that, and a cheaper leather jacket would be good, thanks guys/girls.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I would recommend one of the new Joe Rocket leather jackets with the removable panels covering a mesh layer. Leather is preferred for it's protective qualities from road rash. If you are deterred because it gets too warm in leather, you can zip off the leather panels to expose the ventilating mesh underneath.

Ideally, it's good to have more than one jacket to deal with various weather and temperature conditions. No one jacket can deal with so many different conditions as one that was designed for a specific purpose.

·
Time to Ride...
109 Posts
Yea, that sounds best. Leather is best for protection, but it can get hot, so one that can have some removable panels to cool you off would be awesome.

·
Registered
248 Posts
get a kevlar motorcycle jacket, there are a few race approved kevlar ones. Best of both worlds. Aside from the not so good looking fashions.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ive seen two friends go down, one in textile the other in leather. the textile was done and couldnt be safely used again, but the leather was still okay. if your concerned for being too hot in leather look for good venting.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
I wear a textile in the day and leather at night. Having more than one jacket gives you options

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Both?
I prefer to look and feel of leather, and frankly, because I've been wearing it/them for years, don't much concern myself if I'm wearing my textile gear, that it will not be re-usable after a crash. If it protects me, good.
Here's the rub though, Textile gear (waterproof) is imminently more versatile.
It's waterproof, well vented, handy in the wet and cold, and warm and dry. Even good in the heat and wet and humidity of Mississippi, Florida and environs. I've never seen a crashed outfit (yes, I'm privy to that sort of thing) that would define the difference between "leather woulda saved his injuries," and "textile clearly wasn't the way to go."
If I had to go with one outfit only, it would be textile.
Peferably Aerostich.
Don't you folks ride in the rainy coastal climate? Why buy gear that doesn't shed water?
And that goes for jackets, boots, gloves, riding pants?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm still pretty new (5 months of riding last summer), and after riding and reading I have a JR Meteor Textile jacket, however, I am saving up for a two piece leather suit.

I know enough to wear protection, but just as riding is a more dangerous than driving, but more enjoyable...textile is a less protective than leather but more enjoyable.

I am pretty sure that I will end up wearing leathers 99% of the time by the end of this summer (once I by them), but for now, I like crusing around in my textile jacket.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
michael said:
Don't you folks ride in the rainy coastal climate? Why buy gear that doesn't shed water?
I have a rain jacket to wear over my leather one. It keeps water out better than most textile jackets available and lets me continue wearing the leather one. Because it's mainly just a shell, it packs quite easily.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Leather.
Then get a rain suit. Rain suits and waterproof boots and gloves are the bomb in the wet.
I only pull the textile jacket out if I'm going around the block.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I know enough to wear protection, but just as riding is a more dangerous than driving, but more enjoyable...textile is a less protective than leather but more enjoyable.
Aaron, no disrespect to your opinion, however, on what facts do you base "textile is less protective than leather?..."
Abrasion protection is more determined by the heft of the denier, rather than a comparison to leather, and the quality of the garment construction. I'm reminded of Dr. Harry Hurt's response to the question, "what's the best helmet to wear?"
His answer, which fits the question, "leather or textile," was "You tell me what kind of crash you're going to have, and I'll tell you what's the most protective."
I'll counter with my own opinion, I think it's more a matter of personal choice, than performance, and is subject to the quality of each particular garment. Thus, a quality leather garment can be more protective than a poorly constructed textile garment. And, a quality textile garment can be more protective than a poorly constructed leather garment. My most fervent hope is that motorcyclists wear some kind of protective gear.:surrender

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Either. Just make sure it's well made and more importantly that you wear it every single time you go out on the bike.

That being said, I have leather, textile and mesh jackets. Something for every weather condition. And rain gear. Be careful, motorcycling is a serious money pit.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have a rain jacket to wear over my leather one. It keeps water out better than most textile jackets available and lets me continue wearing the leather one. Because it's mainly just a shell, it packs quite easily.
Understood. I preferred the look and feel of leather earlier in my riding career. However, when I was "task focused," (endurance rallies, and big mile days) I was pained to stop, get out the rain gear, put on the rain gear, and continue on, usually behind a string of slower moving vehicles I had just passed. Now, with my 'Stich, I just keep riding, rain, shine, heat, cold. I can make most adjustments while in the saddle.
For me (see? a caveat...this works for me, and may not work for you) I enjoy the ability to load up the pockets with ice, when travelling in extreme heat. Can't do that with leather. Between the ice, and the venting, it's cooler than any mesh garment I've tried, and I retain full protective qualities of the suit.
Also, the 'Stich goes in a quality front load washing machine when it gets manky. Can't do that with my leathers.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
michael said:
Understood. I preferred the look and feel of leather earlier in my riding career. However, when I was "task focused," (endurance rallies, and big mile days) I was pained to stop, get out the rain gear, put on the rain gear, and continue on, usually behind a string of slower moving vehicles I had just passed. Now, with my 'Stich, I just keep riding, rain, shine, heat, cold. I can make most adjustments while in the saddle.
For me (see? a caveat...this works for me, and may not work for you) I enjoy the ability to load up the pockets with ice, when travelling in extreme heat. Can't do that with leather. Between the ice, and the venting, it's cooler than any mesh garment I've tried, and I retain full protective qualities of the suit.
Also, the 'Stich goes in a quality front load washing machine when it gets manky. Can't do that with my leathers.
I would love to get an Aerostich suit but those are quite costly (about $850-860CAN)... especially if you have to come up with all that money all at once! It was easier getting a leather jacket, leather pants, rainsuit and a textile jacket and pants over the years. But yeah, I would love to get one of those. :)

The original poster appeared to be looking for something less costly than an Aerostich to start off with.

N

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know how much those JR Blaster 3.0s go for? It doesnt list on that NewEnough site.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The original poster appeared to be looking for something less costly than an Aerostich to start off with.
True!
I thought I'd save them from my mistake.
Got a leather jacket, then a better leather jacket, then an Aerostich. Knowing what I know now, I woulda bought a Aerostich Darien jacket, then the Darien pants when affordable, and saved some money, by not buying the first leather jacket.
(Kilimanjaro leather jacket is cool though, even though they don't make them anymore. They do make a good Textile Kili......)
Earlier poster was correct, motorcycling is a great way to reduce your net worth.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have an alpinestars leather jacket and i love it fallen twice and slid each time on the same elbow and the stiching is still intake and there is no holes in it. well worht the money
REMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. DONT CHEAP OUT ON GEAR

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
noob said:
Does anyone know how much those JR Blaster 3.0s go for? It doesnt list on that NewEnough site.
You have to click on that pricing button for the prices. As of today's exchange rate, they're $305CAN (sizes 40-48) and up to $332CAN (sizes 50-56) before shipping charges.

The Sonic is very similiar with removable panels and goes for $291CAN. There's also a perforated version of the Sonic without the removable panels.

If it's of any importance, the removable panels of the Blaster and Sonic appear to be a textile material.

The $390CAN JR Super Ego is all leather with larger removable panels that exposes a larger area of mesh underneath.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I think first off you need to address buying protective gear on e-bay. Are you sure it will fit properly? An ill fitting jacket (i.e. too lose) will shift during impact and not protect you nearly as much.

Then you need to understand that buying gear isn't a one time thing. Most people that I know expand their gear 'collection' every year / couple of years.

I stared out with a full textile suit, because that was the best I could afford at the time. Soon I found that I needed something else and bought a full leather suits for 'non-commuting' rides. Then I found out that being hot commuting is not so good and added a mesh jacket for hot days.

Get a good jacket that will be versitile enough to get you through rain, cold and heat until you can expand on the gear you own.

And damnit, make sure it fits _right_. That goes double for helmets!

Good luck.

Bjorn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts