BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SENSE BC was successful in convincing MOTH to replace "Slower traffic keep right" signs with "Keep Right Except to Pass" but we were unable to convince Kash Heed to back it with legislation (opposition from Supt. Steve Martin). However see what they do in Quebec. The good news is though that the BC MoTI seems to be taking it seriously. They had "Keep Right Except to Pass" published on all the electronic reader boards to the Interior over Labor Day... and anecdotally it seemed to be working. Good driving was evident... to me anyway.

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
every bit of this helps. Could have used that this morning on the 91 east where the left lane was being held up by a couple of slow moving tools while the right lane had all the big trucks in it...and was going faster than the left lane.

keep at it, it is appreciated.

·
Unregistered User
1,601 Posts
Quebec has been working hard to keep traffic moving without adding new roads.

No new law was needed.

They had the law "Obstructing the Flow of Traffic" and used that law.

You are obstructing the line of cars behind you, regardless if the other cars are speeding.

·
Registered
286 Posts
No matter what language, color of the signs, flashing lights or the size of the sign will not prevent left lane idiots from cruising the the left lane...this is my biggest piss off...that and people leaving like 10 cars lengths in front of them. Need to make it the law with a fine attached...good luck!

·
Unregistered User
1,601 Posts
My peeve HWY 1 far Left Lane, evenings and weekends when it is not a HOV lane, the idiots still think they can use it at 60 K with two in the car (Corolla)

·
slowing down, TOMORROW!
306 Posts
Driving down the 91 tonight to get to work... slow left laner, I lane changed to the right to pass them... looked back in my mirror - HE WAS GIVING ME THE FINGER! UGH douchbags... really???

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
SENSE BC was successful in convincing MOTH to replace "Slower traffic keep right" signs with "Keep Right Except to Pass" but we were unable to convince Kash Heed to back it with legislation (opposition from Supt. Steve Martin). However see what they do in Quebec. The good news is though that the BC MoTI seems to be taking it seriously. They had "Keep Right Except to Pass" published on all the electronic reader boards to the Interior over Labor Day... and anecdotally it seemed to be working. Good driving was evident... to me anyway.
I have personally found in the last several years, travelers seem to drive more defensively, and slower, on the long weekends. I think the news reminding us that, several will die every long weekend, (a KNOWN high death toll probability, slows most morons down) has had the desired effect.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
just came back from WA... where it's the law for people to pull over... guess how many used pull overs on those single lane awesome sauce roads coming back from peninsula?

hint: nada

·
Registered
197 Posts
just came back from WA... where it's the law for people to pull over... guess how many used pull overs on those single lane awesome sauce roads coming back from peninsula?

hint: nada
My experience differs with Washingtonians. On the North Cascades I routinely see people pulling to the right passing lanes to let me pass. Washingtonians in general seem to be better drivers that BCers. I regrettably hit the I5 from time to time and often there is some idiot sitting in the left lane holding up traffic, always tends to be a BCer in that lane.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
north cascades might be different. i went to the peninsula and nearly popped a blood vessel in my head from the amount of stupid. would have been home 2 hours earlier if it wasnt for them.

dont get me started on morons with florida or other flat road state. wish i had those powers from that movie where 3 jocks found that alien thing and were able to move shit with their mind.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
No matter what language, color of the signs, flashing lights or the size of the sign will not prevent left lane idiots from cruising the the left lane...this is my biggest piss off...that and people leaving like 10 cars lengths in front of them. Need to make it the law with a fine attached...good luck!
10 car lengths? Depends on the speed and road conditions. At 60 kmh big rigs should, legally, be no closer than 60meters. Not sure what you are in, but, use the 2 second rule as a minimum, not a maximum.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My peeve HWY 1 far Left Lane, evenings and weekends when it is not a HOV lane, the idiots still think they can use it at 60 K with two in the car (Corolla)
HOV lanes mess things up. Confuses the already confused so they don't bother to make any more effort. Pass on left? Pass or right? HOV can be left or right. "Oh well, I can block all others cause I'm going slower and it's socially unacceptable to drive fast so I won't get out of the way for those that do" mentality.

If the government and highway engineers don't get it, how can the public joe get it? Our modern government transportation ministry doesn't even know what a decreasing radius or a multi apex corner is. It's amazing how much effort and $ on bulding new roads yet they can't be bothered to check whether the turn has any flow. It's like the dorkiest and geekiest person decided exactly where the pavement will go. Fine for me but the dorky and geeky drivers can't get how the steering wheel, the four tires, the vehicle pathway and the width of the roadway interact.

I'm quite disciplined staying right, unless passing. On bike or car. In car, I sometimes accidently drift into or close to left lane as passing left lane bandits. Sometimes I accidently take their front bumper off. I don't worry so much if I'm in right lane and being passed on left. If they really want to be faster and bumper tail in the left lane, I let them go and follow to pass. If I just passed them (someone in left) and they try to squeeze me out cause right lane slowing, I just cut them off. I also give courtesy space if someone has passed me and staying in right but then right lane slows and I get into left lane before they do. I don't block someone and will leave them space to get back into left lane in front of me to continue passing cars on right. Yeah, maybe I'm the only one who drives this way but it's the way I want everyone else to drive also. I'm not that optimistic about others. That's why the cutting off part...

·
Insert User Title Here.
4,868 Posts
When travelling Hwy 1, I wish I could point a bazooka out the sunroof.

And 2cans is spot on with the retarded engineering and road lanes. The truck lane they put in Westbound @ Mt Lehman is the stupidest thing ever created. They could have easily ran the regular right lane into that new space, leaving the LEFT LANE as the new lane, for those wanting to pass.....but noooooo.....now the truck was in the left lane coming up the Mt Lehman doesn't move over, the one in the proper right lane is now in the middle, and the one that comes on at Mt. Lehman is running SIDE BY SIDE BY FUCKING SIDE.

I see the same thing happening with the Eastbound one from 232/264.

so glad I don't travel the freeway every day anymore.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Not a huge fan of Vancouvers roads, not that the rest of the province doesn't have it's issues.

I sometimes wonder if the brains behind the operation even drives a car, truck or a bus, or an RV.

Is this the head of BC Transportation??

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Doesn't stop people from ignoring right only turn lanes and scooting right by traffic in the next intersection either ... or blaring their ridiculously loud exhaust pipes as they accelerate away from the light...

OR TEXTING ON THEIR PHONES.

·
Registered
151 Posts
as to the 10 car lengths comment, exaggeration perhaps? i too follow the 2 second rule when it sunny and dry, longer if bad weather.
But it seems to many drivers if you not driving like a wanna-be nascar racer - ie, driving 2ft from the bumper from car in front you are holding up traffic.
see it all the time on all the major hwys.

for the record i will always let faster drivers pass or keep right where possible. Tho technically i am not slow unless you consider +20-30 kph over posted speed as slow. Coming back from Harrison one time on Lougheed saw a couple of bikes come up behind me, obviously wanting to go faster. So i will slow down a bit and move to the right of lane and wave them past. Then continue on my "speeding" at +20

and thought it cool one time heading back to Vancouver on Lougheed, Just after that sharp right and across train tracks in Dewdney. The pick up truck in front of me slows and moves ½ onto shoulder, i briefly think - wtf is he doing when his hand pops out the window and does the 2-finger down "bike wave" - cool he is waving me past to let me ride faster.

for me i guess i follow the european driving rules i learned eons ago when i started driving. Basically let the faster go faster if you can by pulling over / or switching lanes.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
If everyone left ten car lengths it would be heaven. You could maneuver then.

Right now we have the cars locked together like Lego blocks; all paranoid about someone getting in front of them and refusing to give way regardless of their speed.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Right now we have the cars locked together like Lego blocks; all paranoid about someone getting in front of them and refusing to give way regardless of their speed.

thats what causes most traffic congestion..

people not wanting to leave a long enough buffer between vehicles. in the fear that someone might get ahead of them.. traffic woes are caused by selfishness..

·
Registered
151 Posts

and that mentality turns many hwys and roads into parking lots. Hwy 1 east just past 200st the far left lane ends. If people would just slow down a bit and let folks merge. But no its F-you buddy, you not getting in front of me and the result is bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered Luser
2,121 Posts
north cascades might be different. i went to the peninsula and nearly popped a blood vessel in my head from the amount of stupid. would have been home 2 hours earlier if it wasnt for them.

dont get me started on morons with florida or other flat road state. wish i had those powers from that movie where 3 jocks found that alien thing and were able to move shit with their mind.
aren't you all about not passing on the double yellow though?
i'd lose my mind too.

most washington drivers seem to know that all they hafta do is slow down a tiny bit and move over just a smidge, and that sport bike is gone from their mirrors, never to be seen again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts