BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far does the sleeve of the jacket go, when you are sitting on your bike and grabbing the bars? Where on the wrist, right at the edge, a bit further on your hand, or a bit back?

Just asking, because I went looking for a jacket. Just as I said before in another thread, I was interesting in the Joe Rocket Meteor jacket. And the sleeve, when I'm in riding position, is a bit short of my wrist. When I wear gloves, the sleeves are just slightly tucked in. Standing up straight the jacket fits fine, looks good.

Should the sleeves be tucked in further? Or does it not really matter? As long as it's tucked in and wind doesn't pass through.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is the other Ballistic Meteor jacket which extends below the waist, the bigger one. It's a better fit for the arms but is not as comfortable for me.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Speaking as someone else that has long arms and wide shoulders I also find that a lot of jackets fit short like this. Keep looking around at different styles. The sleeve should be a little longer than what you described. Even to the point where it's too long when just standing around.

About the fit of the jacket. The textile jackets don't stretch at all so did you select a size to leave enough room for a sweater or sweatshirt in there for those cooler days?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I tried on a 2X which had plenty of room. The sleeves were just the problem, their not long enough. I don't know what to do. I want to try the 3X and see how that is, but the peeps at BK said that it would be too big in general, like in the body/chest area. I was going to go and buy the 2X on Wednesday, but I'm not sure about it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know what, for my height I'm not that big in mass. I'm 6'7" and about 220 lbs, due to food poisoning a little while ago. I lost like 40 pounds in 2 weeks. Then when I was finally STARTING to get better, I took off to India with my family. We were there for about 2 months, so I lost about another 10 pounds at least. When I got back, I had lost so much weight my own friends couldn't even recognize me. I've gained back some of the weight, but intend to gain back a lot more. I actually can't recognize MYSELF in pictures from India. So I figure the 3X might be better. And it will give me about another inch on the sleeves. The jacket might be slightly big for the first while, but better off growing into the jacket then growing out of it, right?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Genuine said:
You know what, for my height I'm not that big in mass. I'm 6'7" and about 220 ...

6'7" ???? man you better get that new suzuki V-Strom or a liter bike, a 600 is going to look puny on you man....

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Genuine said:
......... I'm 6'7" and about 220 lbs,............ I've gained back some of the weight, but intend to gain back a lot more. .............
WOW :eek Can you be on my side when we step into that dark alley with the muggers at the other end :D ?

Yeah I suspect you're going to need to go with what you feel is going to be right for you. If you think you're going to fill into that 3X then go for it. I found the textile jackets work better all around if they are a slight bit loose. There's more room for layers inside when it's cold and there's more room for the air from the vents to circulate when it's warm.

But you don't want it TOO floppy if you're eventually going to try some high speed stuff. I had a touring jacket that was a lot loose and at around 250 kph the jacket was fluttering enough to pull at my arms and it was affecting the steering. Needless to say I backed off pretty quick when that happened. But up to 180 to 190 there was no effect from having too loose a jacket.

Can you hold off for a while until you gain some of your weight back?

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Yes, I lost quite a bit of weight when I went to India a while back too. And I was eating everything in sight! But then in my last week I got a little sick, and that is when I started dropping the pounds.

I would wait until your body has stabalized and then get a coat. No point in picking up a jacket that fits well now, then is too tight/loose a month later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts