BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listening to a rerun of Quirks and Quarks on Sunday that really caught my ear. Here's a link to the story below. If you scroll down just a little bit, listen to Bob MacDonald talk to the guy who did this study.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/lethal-memory-fail-why-drivers-see-and-then-forget-motorcyclists-1.5298381

I don't know what we can do to make drivers remember that we are there among all of the other visual noise, but this bit of knowledge is one more arrow in our quiver in understanding the dangers around us.

·
Posing with conviction
5,389 Posts
I don't know what we can do to make drivers remember that we are there among all of the other visual noise, but this bit of knowledge is one more arrow in our quiver in understanding the dangers around us.
Thanks. People should glance at the linked article. Take away: "People's short term memory sucks. so don't assume that they saw you a few seconds ago and will remember when they pull out to do a silly-fast lane change a short time later."

I think most of us instinctively know and assume this but it is good to have this thinking corraborated in an article like this.

Thanks again David.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
i tend to keep an eye on random cars while out doing my thing..

invariably, the guy i'm fixated on turns out to be an asshat who refuses to shoulder check.. lol

I posted the above response before reading the article.. ohh looky here!

fvck yer memory! we know it sucks.. shoulder check would solve a lot of issues.

Chapman theorizes that the reason that motorcyclists and bicyclists are especially vulnerable to these "saw but forgot" crashes may have to do with our limited peripheral vision.
Most of the time, our weak peripheral vision is able to detect an oncoming car that we may have forgotten in these "looked but fail to see" events because they're big. It provides us with an extra safety net in the event where we forgot about the car.

But that extra protection is not available to motorcyclists because they're too small to be reliably picked up by our peripheral vision.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sometimes I like a decent pace and I find that overtaking and being constantly aware that no one has even remotely seen/become aware of my approach seems at times safer than running in the slow ass pace of traffic and relying on other drivers awareness and abilities.

Practicing emergency braking and evasive maneuvering is part of my routine and also working on the mind game. I got cut off brutally this week by a touristo who was 'missing' their exit. They got a hand in the air as a wtf but no finger and no retaliatory action/maneuvering.

Quirks and quarks(sp?) is a great show. For me I'd officially become my dad when I started regularly listening to CBC radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I listening to a rerun of Quirks and Quarks on Sunday that really caught my ear. Here's a link to the story below. If you scroll down just a little bit, listen to Bob MacDonald talk to the guy who did this study.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/lethal-memory-fail-why-drivers-see-and-then-forget-motorcyclists-1.5298381

I have run a modulated headlight flasher on my highbeam for about 20 years and feel that this method works well for you to be seen and accounted for by other drivers. I see drivers putting down their cell phones to look hard at me all the time. It would be interesting to see if they repeated the study if headlight flashers have measurable effect.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't recall the last time I saw a headlight modulator in use. Too few to be worth studying and they are too annoying already, even to those of us who understand their use, to encourage further use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts