BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
coco bongo
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i might just be in the market

as most of you two wheelers are also fans of the cages, i thought i'd tap into the knowledge base here

so, sub $20k, what is your pick?

jetta? mazda 6? ford? honda?

·
Master of Puppets
791 Posts
I don't think you can get a Mazda 6 for under $20k. You could get a Mazda 3, though, which for my money is the best looking sedan you get for under $35k. In fact, I think it is one of the nicest looking 4-doors, period. Very well proportioned - probably easier to do with a smaller car.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Need to be more specific as to what you want. 4-door? 2-door? Sporty? Economical?

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Definitely narrow your needs a bit.

D

·
0 Posts
is there such a thing as a sub $20k car these days?

at least one that doesn't have the moniker of "disposable"?

·
coco bongo
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm actually good with whatever

2 door, 4 door, whatever

sporty, to a degree i don't care about car speed when bike speed is so easily accessable

luxury, to a degree but i don't want to pay the bucks for new 5 series

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
If your looking for used you have alots of choices.... if your looking for new that could be a lil tougher. The new Honda Civic is pretty sweet also it won Motor Trend's car of the year award too. I have an 04 civic here in canada and I like it, very good car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
1994 toyota supra... inline 6... twin turbo.... extensive following in the aftermarket..... sounds prtty damn good to me... of course, if you want awsome handling, everyone knows that 3rd gen. RX-7's are rapists in the twisties.... gotta love the independant drivetrain subframe.... and don't forget to consider a late market 240sx... HUGE aftermarket possibilities.... and fairly inexpensive..... If you've got 20gs burnin a hole in your pocket, 10 will get you a 1998 (last year for the model) 240sx, and the other 10 (if put into the right mods) wil make it an absolutely KILLA car... though personally, I'd go for a 1995 RX-7... minty one's worth about 20... 255hp... 1.3L wankel.... and like previously stated, complete rapist in the handling departement.... (And yes, I am extremely biased towards RWD coups)... oh yeah, Supra has removable hardtop :D

·
And shepherds we shall be
2,941 Posts
Yeah, but even for 20g's, you'll be hard pressed to find an RX-7 in good condition, with an engine that won't need the rebuilt in more than 15000km. I like it, but its not a daily driver, unless you have money to burn.

·
Why not
541 Posts
It all depends on your priorities. There are a ton of really good used cars out there for 20K. You drive a VW dub right now, so you're probably aware of the reliability problems with them.

If you don't mind doing some repairs, and want to have something luxurious you could go for an older 5 series, or a Jag S-type. All depends on what you want most. In that price range though I'd be looking really hard at a used 3 series. Quite reliable, really fun to drive and an overall great car.

·
coco bongo
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, used is fine for me

i don't really care about fast cars anymore, i mean, they are fun and all but everything sucks compared to the bike

jag s type for under 20g? i'll have to look into that ish. just doing some scanning and bmw 3 series aren't as much as i thought either.

hmmmm

·
Why not
541 Posts
Yeah, tons of good new cars out there.

You trade repairs for looking like a pimp, but thats totally up to you and what you want.

From my experience I'd stay with import as they are far more reliable and hold their value better.

A4, 3 series, S-type. Preludes are a nice, reliable, sporty car.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Beware older German vehicles, their repair costs (esp. Audi's) SKYROCKET with age. Older jaguars go the same.

But if a passion for these vehicles predates any aversion to this, then by all means buy one.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'm in the market myself right now, and I've probably flipped between what I want at least 4-5 times. I think I'll end up going Golf or Jetta though due to my displeasure with most other non-imports and I desire to not have an inline-4 honda.

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
I would recommend staying away from the Mk. IV Jetta/Golf. Extremely fun to drive, especially the 1.8T and VR6 engines, but horrible reliability record. Unless you find a Wolfsburg edition, spend your money on something else.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts